FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points Clawed Back - Upgraded for bonus, downgraded in less than 12 months.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:51 am
GundamWing01

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Honestly, I now wonder if this has in some way blacklisted me (or at the very least put me on some kind of naughty list) with Amex. If I were you, I'd probably look to keep the card for an additional year and try and get a retention bonus to offset the second year's annual fee. 2 years seems to be the new safe spot now. I upgraded from the ED to the EDP by simply clicking the upgrade offer that showed up under My Offers and didn't bother to read the T&Cs. Lost 25K MR.

Does anyone have any data points on whether future applications for new cards are approved/rejected based on a past clawback of points?
yes.

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Just logged into my online account and saw an offer to upgrade to the EDP for 25K after a $2K spend. The exact same offer I had accepted back in Sept. LMFAO!

I guess one could keep downgrading and upgrading every year picking up 25K points for a $95 annual fee. I haven't clicked the accept button yet. I'll wait a few months using the regular ED card before accepting again.
amex is not stupid. plenty of people play the up/down game. just like the pay over time, self referral, multiple AU bonuses, NLL, high volume MS and airline credit games. many get attacked by the RAT. either shutdown, FR, MR frozen, lifetime popup ban etc.

if you value amex, just dont do it.