Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Points Clawed Back - Upgraded for bonus, downgraded in less than 12 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Clawed Back - Upgraded for bonus, downgraded in less than 12 months.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
No, Amex keeps sending me targeted offers with no lifetime language, and I keep accepting them.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I believe you mentioned in your first post that you had the Amex Gold before and closed it. Did the application for this 90K offer not have the usual lifetime language limitation?
That's correct. It did not.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
That's correct. It did not.
Thanks. That's great. Did the pre-approval offer show up within the offers section for one of your other account or did you go through the "cards" link on top and then the "offers" link?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Thanks. That's great. Did the pre-approval offer show up within the offers section for one of your other account or did you go through the "cards" link on top and then the "offers" link?
Interestingly, it showed up as I was browsing for cards (I think it had a "Special Offer" tag on it) I clicked it and sat on the application for a bit and then backed out. A few days later it showed up in the "Offers" section. That's when I started feeling more confident that I was finally out of jail.
halamadrid likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
....90K offer to apply for a new Amex Gold card. ....
Personal or Business Gold?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Personal or Business Gold?
Personal
mia likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Any way to make up for my stupid, 140K Membership Rewards point mistake?

Early this year, I received and utilized an Amex offer to upgrade my Business Gold card to Business Platinum, receiving 140K MR points for spending $10,000 within something like three or four months.

About a month ago, I received a notice informing me of my annual fee for the card. Stupidly, I forgot about the requirement that if I canceled the card within about a year of the bonus, I'd forfeit the points. So to avoid the annual fee, I canceled the card. I soon received an email from Amex, informing me that the 140K points were deducted.

I called Amex quickly and got the card reinstated with the hope that the points would be reinstated as well. The very helpful agent sent the request to whichever office is appropriate, and even followed up with a phone call (which I missed) to try to inform me of the decision. When I called back and spoke to another agent, I was informed that the points would not be returned to my account and that there was nothing the supervisors could do about this.

It's my own fault. But still, I'm wondering whether there is anything else I should try before giving up on those points. FWIW, I've been an Amex cc customer for 37 years and have an excellent credit score, but realize that probably doesn't make any difference.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
....I canceled the card. I soon received an email from Amex, informing me that the 140K points were deducted.
See posts 1 and 40 for substantially similar reports.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mia
See posts 1 and 40 for substantially similar reports.
Thanks. Disheartening but very useful. A lesson re-learned.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks. Disheartening but very useful. A lesson re-learned.
Sorry about your lost.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Question about having a FNC clawed back.

I'm not sure I want to keep the Aspire card. No plans for a resort stay next year, I always find it difficult to use the airline credit. The FNC is nice, Diamond means nothing these days. Really on the fence.

My AF is due at the end of the year, when I will also get the next FNC shortly after that.

I know Amex prorates the AF if you cancel.

What if I cancel 1 month...or 3 months...or 6 months...after I pay the AF. Will they claw back the FNC? What if I've already made a reservation with it?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
Sorry about your lost.
Hey, a drag, but definitely a First World Problem.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:36 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Point Clawback because I am an idiot

Just wanted to share my stupidity with everyone.

I have received so many SUBS from AMEX since Covid with 6 cards.

Upgraded my EveryDay card to a Preferred for 40k MRs last year. The annual fee hit last month so I had figured it had been a year since I had upgraded because why would an annual fee hit at any time BEFORE the one year mark?

Well....I didn't check my spreadsheet.....downgraded back to the free card after what I thought was 12.5 months......and lo and behold I get the email telling me they have clawed back the 40k MRs.

Checked my spreadsheet..,...yep.....upgraded 8-6-2022 so it hasn't even been a year. UGHHHHHH!!!!!

Can't believe this rookie mistake I made!!!!

Go ahead....point your fingers and laugh!!!!

Interestingly enough, ANOTHER offer to re-upgrade that card for 15k MRs appeared in my offers a week after down grading....haha

Last edited by 355F1; May 9, 2023 at 9:22 am
Old May 9, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Don’t beat yourself up too much, mistakes happen (to many of us), including myself just 9 months ago when I closed a card 4 months early and lost annual elite qualifying nights and a free night award.

Not entirely a “rookie mistake” (as I also referred to my mistake). It’s a little like accident rates for pilots, which generally decrease with increasing experience except for a small transient increase for pilots with a medium amount of experience. So, 0 to few thousand hours accident rate decreases with increasing hours, few thousand to few thousand more hours accident rate increases slightly, even more hours accident rate decreases again. I don't recall the identified reason for that blip.

Might be complacency which is a cause factor for some accidents. For me it’s more likely age . I try to not repeat the same mistake, at least make a different mistake !
355F1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.