Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). The reimbursement appears as "AMEX PAYPAL CREDIT", typically around 3 days later.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal)
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using “show to pay” QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be “mapped” to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I have a naive question now: Is that PayPal offer valid around the world? Or only with US merchants?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:21 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
So you have to choose Paypal as the payment method, and select the AMEX card? In my case, the pending order didn't show up as Paypal though, but directly the shop I was buying from. I hope it still triggers the credit.
Just setting up a data point, but of course, the shop charge was prefixed with PayPal at the end and it triggered the credit 2 days later. Pretty straight forward.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Gasolin
I have a naive question now: Is that PayPal offer valid around the world? Or only with US merchants?
paypal is worldwide but this credit I believe is only for us merchants and certainly only in US dollars
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:22 am

Anyone know how long it takes for the credit to post? I’m waiting on this and the best buy offer.

edit: saw someone’s posts on this topic. Seems it should just be a few days. Maybe business days though, so I’ll be patient.

Last edited by ankitgu; Jan 11, 2021 at 5:28 am
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:51 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I verified that Amex via PayPal for Delta flights seems not to be available ... the PayPal site indicates "the merchant does not accept this card".
So this is AmEx's doing? How can AmEx choose the merchants not allowed in Paypal? The same way AmEx won't allow its cards to be used with PPKs. So AmEx says we give you the Paypal credit, but we limit the merchants you can use. And Delta is not one of them.....
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by ankitgu
Anyone know how long it takes for the credit to post? I’m waiting on this and the best buy offer.

edit: saw someone’s posts on this topic. Seems it should just be a few days. Maybe business days though, so I’ll be patient.
3 credits posted to my account, each took two days.
ankitgu likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:00 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by ankitgu

The PayPal credit posted in 3 days for me.

I'm still waiting for an offer credit that posted more than a week ago (I even got an e-mail that I used the offer, just no credit yet).
ankitgu likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Jan 11, 2021 at 9:25 am
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
So this is AmEx's doing? How can AmEx choose the merchants not allowed in Paypal? The same way AmEx won't allow its cards to be used with PPKs. So AmEx says we give you the Paypal credit, but we limit the merchants you can use. And Delta is not one of them.....
It is the other way around - the merchant doesn't want you to use Amex on this transaction.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by blaz
It is the other way around - the merchant doesn't want you to use Amex on this transaction.
Do not think this is the case. AmEx made Paypal to disable its cards with PPK. Why Delta or Paypal would care what cards we use?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:05 am
Suspended

Stop by US postal office. Since the Wiki says we can use Paypal to pay at USPS, I asked to see if I can use the QR code at postal office to use Paypal. But the guy said they have no ability to use....
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by RedSun
Stop by US postal office. Since the Wiki says we can use Paypal to pay at USPS, I asked to see if I can use the QR code at postal office to use Paypal. But the guy said they have no ability to use....
Please note the wiki clearly specified usps.com.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I made a PayPal purchase for about $18 and it seems that the payment went to a personal name once it officially posted. I read that payments to merchants whom are individuals, do not qualify for the credit? Is that what other people are interpreting?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Neither - it's by the month on the calendar. You get $30 to use in January. You get $30 to use in February. You get $30 to use in March...... and so forth.
The official language came in from Amex via an email this morning:

In appreciation of your continuing Card Membership, we've added an exclusive new offer to your Platinum Card. From now through 6/30/21, you can earn up to $30 in statement credits each month when you use your Card for purchases at eligible merchants and check out with PayPal – a total value of up to $180. To earn your January credit, make your purchases by 1/31/21. No enrollment required. Terms apply.*
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:40 am
Suspended

AmEx Office Email on $30 Paypal Credit

Finally received official AmEx email about the Paypal credit.

Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
.... check out with PayPal ....
I do not have a Paypal account, but some merchants use Paypal as their card transaction processor and the transactions typically display PP: at the front. Anyone made this type of Paypal transaction without their own Paypal account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.