Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). The reimbursement appears as "AMEX PAYPAL CREDIT", typically around 3 days later.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal)
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using “show to pay” QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be “mapped” to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
So you have to choose Paypal as the payment method, and select the AMEX card? In my case, the pending order didn't show up as Paypal though, but directly the shop I was buying from. I hope it still triggers the credit.
I selected PayPal on the merchant site and added the AMEX card. The pending charge was also the merchant name. Two days later it posted as PayPal *insertMerchantName.

I expect the $30 credit to post in a day or two.

———

$30 credit has successfully posted. This is a great temporary benefit!
Gasolin likes this.

Last edited by radiolarian; Jan 9, 2021 at 11:08 am
Old Jan 7, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
It has been brought up several times that the pending charges will not always say 'PayPal' and will show the merchant name instead. Once posted, it will show "PayPal" along with the merchant.
bedelman and cuthroat like this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
This benefit is probably one of the easiest to use.
True, it's not rocket sceince. But the original comment was that it was not fun like F class travel (per someone's earlier comment). Keeping track of even smaller increments is even more tedious.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:44 pm

I switched my Spotify subscription to Paypal with AMEX but it appeared on my Amex card as Spotify and I have not received any credit. Did I do something wrong?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 3:01 pm
viz

Programs: DL DM, AC 75K, NEXUS, Bonvoy Platinum
Donated to a nonprofit via Facebook fundraiser 1/2, posted as PAYPAL *FACEBOOKPAY on 1/3, AMEX PAYPAL CREDIT for $30 posted 1/5.
HockeyCoachBen likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by dhuey
... buy $30 in Forever stamps for each of the next six months. You'll use 'em eventually.
Will you? I've got all but 3 left of a book of Forever Stamps I bought at least 6 years ago ... I forgot it was the 21st Century
Zorak likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by spier072
I switched my Spotify subscription to Paypal with AMEX but it appeared on my Amex card as Spotify and I have not received any credit. Did I do something wrong?
Originally Posted by Mediahound
It has been brought up several times that the pending charges will not always say 'PayPal' and will show the merchant name instead. Once posted, it will show "PayPal" along with the merchant.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:26 pm

My Spotify charges are on the 1st of every month, so didn't get to take advantage of this on Spotify yet. We'll see for Feb.
I did a Paypal key Amazon balance reload of ~$20.21 on Jan 2, posted on Jan 4, credit posted this morning.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MaxVO
True, it's not rocket sceince. But the original comment was that it was not fun like F class travel (per someone's earlier comment). Keeping track of even smaller increments is even more tedious.
It's just $30. Find a few services that bill you monthly that use PayPal and you're set. In my case, my Apple One subscription for the family is $31.30 with tax, so that's it for me. Otherwise, it seems that several streaming services accept PayPal, a myriad of online merchants, etc.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Will you? I've got all but 3 left of a book of Forever Stamps I bought at least 6 years ago ... I forgot it was the 21st Century
+1 I mail maybe 5-6 things a year and 2 of them are my tax returns (I can't eFile for various reasons). I am still working my way through sheets/booklets of stamps that dad (major philately buff) gave me 10+ years ago (some even older than that)
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Zorak
+1 I mail maybe 5-6 things a year and 2 of them are my tax returns
Well, to be fair I do (rarely) mail packages (and like you, heavy business correspondence, but even less often) but I either use the self-serve postage machine or go to the window; do "Forever" stamps hold the value of the current 1st-Class postage at the time of use?
I am still working my way through sheets/booklets of stamps that dad ... gave me 10+ years ago
I'm assuming none are worth more than face value?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Well, to be fair I do (rarely) mail packages (and like you, heavy business correspondence, but even less often) but I either use the self-serve postage machine or go to the window; do "Forever" stamps hold the value of the current 1st-Class postage at the time of use?
Yes, the value of the Forever stamp will always be the first class letter postage at the time of use.
mia likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm assuming none are worth more than face value?
Some of them are Forever stamps; obviously I'm using the other ones first
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:35 am

Data points.

Ebay purchase paid with Paypal - Initially showed up as Paypal and posted as such. Credit received.
1 time payment for Dish Network - Initially showed up as Dish on statement without the Paypal indicator, but upon final posting, it showed as Paypal Dish and credit received.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... dad (major philately buff)....
....I'm using the other ones first
Our concern is that you may be using stamps with a collectible market value that is higher than their original face value.
gooselee, Gasolin and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.