Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Redesigned USA-issued Amex Platinum card (December 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redesigned USA-issued Amex Platinum card (December 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:33 pm

Platinum Card no longer says "PLATINUM"

Such a trivial thing, and probably a benefit, but I received a replacement card in the mail today and noticed it does not say PLATINUM across the front, or anywhere else. Anyone aware of the strategy behind this? Sorry if this is old news, but their website seems to still show the old design.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:59 pm

I just received a replacement Plat (the Schwab flavor, date code CS0620). It does have the word "platinum" in caps on the backside under the account number.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by Jay66
Have they updated the apple pay image? Mine is still the same with the new card
Just noticed today that the Apple Pay card image on both my phone and watch has been updated to reflect the new branding (no Platinum visible, new font).
AJchang likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jhartvu
Just noticed today that the Apple Pay card image on both my phone and watch has been updated to reflect the new branding (no Platinum visible, new font).
Another datapoint: mine also changed, even though I haven't received a new card in the mail (and the expiration on the card isn't for another few years so I'm not expecting a new card any time soon).
jhartvu and AJchang like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 12:00 pm

Amazing how some people care so much about this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by m907
My thoughts exactly!
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
I think it's great that you cared enough about this topic to comment, rather than just scrolling past. 🥰
dw, MaxVO, AJchang and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:29 am

The topic of this thread is literally "Redesigned USA-issued Amex Platinum card" ..... so yea, the card design is something that will be discussed, what did you expect? lol
jhartvu likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:35 pm

Does anyone actually use the contactless feature of a card, which is being built into every card now? I feel like if people want to use contactless payments, they’re already using Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, etc. I prefer the full metal design.

or maybe I’m just out of touch.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by joe318
...maybe I’m just out of touch.
I use the contactless feature quite often. But I have never used an electronic wallet or another payment intermediary without a substantial kickback. It seems unwise to just give away your data for free to a leech.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Does anyone actually use the contactless feature of a card, which is being built into every card now? I feel like if people want to use contactless payments, they’re already using Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, etc. I prefer the full metal design.

This is what I was saying too. However, due to mask requirements Face ID always fails and it’s easier to take the card out of my wallet and tap it.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I do tap the actual card sometimes which is easier for me to fish out of a shirt pocket than fumble with a wallet from my pants pocket. However, I find that can require multiple attempts more often than using the phone which almost always "takes" on the first attempt.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:33 am
Suspended

I would be sad to receive a plastic or semi-metal Platinum card. I get so many compliments from merchants when I use the heavy all metal Platinum card. It was fun.

Last edited by Mama; Apr 21, 2021 at 6:58 am
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:29 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I just do not see the needs to use it. The only time I could have used it is at subway terminal. But I hardly take any subways.... At stores and restaurants, I still use chips. More stable and secure. I get time to use the cards.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by MikeNYC83
Such a trivial thing, and probably a benefit, but I received a replacement card in the mail today and noticed it does not say PLATINUM across the front, or anywhere else. Anyone aware of the strategy behind this? Sorry if this is old news, but their website seems to still show the old design.
I think they want to design to be consistent with the other charge card designs. They are now putting the "platinum" on the back of all platinum cards.
acipollo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.