Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Redesigned USA-issued Amex Platinum card (December 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum

On Reddit r/Amex, there are users reporting that they received a redesigned Platinum card in the United States. It does not feature the “PLATINUM” writing on the front anymore and has a redesigned Centurion logo on the center, which matches the style on the current Green and Gold cards. It also has a new font for “American Express”. I believe this style has already been available in certain countries like Germany and now has landed in the US.

Someone on Reddit also says they received a CS Plat AU recently that has been redesigned. It seems like they started sending out the new cards around or after Christmas 2020.

I am expecting a replacement card that was requested yesterday and supposed to arrive tomorrow via UPS. I will report back on whether I also receive the updated version of the card.

Take a look at the Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/amex/commen...tm_name=iossmf
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
As more reports come in, I will be wondering about the feel and composition. I still have not ordered a Contactless version because I read they had to change the metal they use to accommodate the RFID. besides, it's a perks card not a daily spender for me.
​​​​
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
As more reports come in, I will be wondering about the feel and composition. I still have not ordered a Contactless version because I read they had to change the metal they use to accommodate the RFID. besides, it's a perks card not a daily spender for me.
​​​​
Not sure about the metal being different but the contactless version of the card just had a plastic layer in the back side to allow for NFC. The card was a bit lighter than the full metal version and because of the plastic layer in the back it made a slightly different noise when dropped. I’ve handled the Germany issued Amex Platinum that looks just like the new US issue version. From my recollection it looks to be the exact same composition as the US contactless card. They’re both contactless and produced with that same layer. I do think the only thing that changed was the design, not so much the materials. Will report back when I receive my cards.
Statman and Gig103 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
As more reports come in, I will be wondering about the feel and composition.​​​​
I imagine it'll be the same as the Gold card. The heft of the older non contactless Plat was neat as a novelty, but becomes a hassle. My favorite metal card right now is probably the Citi Prestige. Relatively lightweight and good looking to boot. Since it earns 5x at restaurants, I do actually carry it, unlike my little family of Platinum cards that pretty much never leaves my desk.
lsquare and Fly2Connect like this.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Dec 29, 2020 at 2:06 am
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

I just received a replacement Platinum card today (US issued). Picture attached. It’s the new design!

whether it’s better looking, that’s subjective. I like the “Platinum” written on the old one, but this is a much cleaner, sleeker design.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Any speculation (or even statement) as to why the "Platinum" branding was removed?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Any speculation (or even statement) as to why the "Platinum" branding was removed?
Someone in marketing probably thought this added an air of mystique and intrigue to the card
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Zorak
Someone in marketing probably thought this added an air of mystique and intrigue to the card
Heh, and considering the "Platinum" branding is part of the appeal to many of this card (I'm still surprised when someone takes note of mine) you'd think if anything they'd drop the Centurion and make the font on "Platinum" even bigger.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:35 pm

Got my new Charles Schwab Platinum card today and can confirm that it, too, has the new design. I like it! I always thought the word "PLATINUM" on the front of the card was redundant since the card itself is platinum-colored. Loved the new Gold design and am glad to have something similar here now. Definitely not as substantial as the old platinum card was, but I don't think it's the same weight as the Gold either.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by ggonzaga
... this is a much cleaner, sleeker design.
The new "American Express" logo seems to be designed as a whole, not from any existing font -- e.g. the letter C is cut to match the angle of the following A.
viz and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
The card must be made recognizable strictly by its iconic design. It's a similar argument to one by the British Postal Service in never naming the face on its stamps, because the whole world should know their monarch.
ithinkurdumb and volabam like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I like the new design. I didn't like how the old Platinum lettering overlaid on the logo. I'm tempted to request a replacement card.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MaxVO
The new "American Express" logo seems to be designed as a whole, not from any existing font -- e.g. the letter C is cut to match the angle of the following A.
Some people aren't ever going to want the new card as they don't want their C to be cut.

But more on point, who actually sees the card anymore, save the Cardholder?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
... I'm tempted to request a replacement card.
That would be wasteful. Unless the bank offers multiple card designs or colors, you'll get an identical replacement.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I suppose it brings in line with the other regions e.g. UK always had the new design as far as I remember switching to the metal version.

If you request a replacement, you'll get a new issue number incremented on the 12th digit (from '1'). It's nicer to read if the 12-14th digits are '100' for the primary holder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.