Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Redesigned USA-issued Amex Platinum card (December 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redesigned USA-issued Amex Platinum card (December 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:30 am

Have they updated the apple pay image? Mine is still the same with the new card
Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by volabam
Thanks - now I can't unsee either that or the cut off C in the new logo.
Personal Green and Gold cards had that logo for almost 2 yrs. It just happened that we had better things to discuss back when those cards made first appearances.
volabam likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:11 pm

I don't like it. Looks like the Platinum got downgraded to Silver.

My wild guess is this is in anticipation of rolling out the Optio. Optio sounds worse than Platinum or Gold so they needed to remove the wording.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Just noticed that pictures of the new card are starting to show up in the Departures magazine as well
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:04 pm

a friend of mine just got the Morgan Stanley Amex Platinum card and it is still the old design with Platinum written on the front.
He applied on January 10, 2021 and the card with the old design arrived Jan 14, 2021.
So I guess not all new applicants get the new card design.

Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:40 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

IMO, I do not think it is necessary to make the change. I care less. But I tend to favor the traditional design. AmEx is an old brand and should not issue some cards like the fancy Apple card.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat
Does anyone with the new card know if the back of the card is still plastic to accommodate the RFID chip or did they work some magic and make it all metal again?
asdfghjk likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I've got this card for a year now, hate it.. the weight is such that it slips right out of my wallet freqeuntly.. card is so slippery the friction between it and the leather card sleeve of the wallet is not enough to keep it firmly inside.. I end up having to pair it with another card just to reduce that risk. Also, it IS pretty heavy, certainly not troublingly so, but still WHY make it this way? There is no card MATERIAL arms race
Old Feb 3, 2021, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I've got this card for a year now, hate it..
That comment appears to be about the old design, not the redesign under discussion. I haven't ordered the newest Plat design yet, but have the newest Gold. Took some weight measurements for comparison.
Oldest metal Plat w/o RFID = 18.9 grams
Newer Plat with RFID = 17.5 grams
The latest Gold with RFID = 15.0 grams.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 1:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

American Express (USA) has changed metal card designs several times in the past few years. I have edited the thread title to specify that this discussion is about a design first reported in December 2020. It can be recognized by the absence of the word PLATINUM on the front.

Originally Posted by MaxVO
...not the redesign under discussion.....
jhartvu likes this.

Last edited by mia; Feb 3, 2021 at 1:38 pm
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by nuetron
Does anyone with the new card know if the back of the card is still plastic to accommodate the RFID chip or did they work some magic and make it all metal again?
Its the same as the previous contactless card. The back was always metal.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT
... The back was always metal.
I consider the front of the card to have the customer's name & centurion logo. That side has always been metal.
The side with the mag stripe and account number has been plastic for sometime (maybe always).
Old Feb 4, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I consider the front of the card to have the customer's name & centurion logo. That side has always been metal.
The side with the mag stripe and account number has been plastic for sometime (maybe always).
Correct, this is what I have observed on my 2 Platinum cards that are before this latest update.

Platinum Card (without the RFID or NFC chip) - Both front and back is metal.
Platinum Card (with the RFID or NFC chip and still says Platinum in front) - Only Front is metal, back is plastic.
Platinum Card (with the RFID or NFC chip and Platinum wording on the back) - Assuming Front is Metal, back is ????

Here is the tweet from askamex regarding the plastic back for the prior version of the platinum card.

They said that this only applied to platinum at the time and not centurion so maybe they applied the method for the centurion to platinum? Will need someone with the new platinum card design to confirm.
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by nuetron; Feb 4, 2021 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 6, 2021, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by nuetron
Correct, this is what I have observed on my 2 Platinum cards that are before this latest update.
Platinum Card (without the RFID or NFC chip) - Both front and back is metal...
I found an old Plat card in our household (date code CS 09/18) without RFID, small EMV contact pad (6-contacts), and plastic back that's beginning to peel. I do believe that the change to plastic backs and addition of RFID are related, but apparently not introduced at the same time.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:01 pm

Still Plastic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.