Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum Travel Services (PTS) vs Amex Travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 1:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Some airlines have eliminated change fees, but some airlines will not change travel agency tickets.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Do the PTS agents have access to special fares?
They can book the IAP fares. Calling used to be the only way to book those.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by synergistic
As someone new to FHR, do those prepaid FHR stays still qualify as eligible rates with the big chains? Specifically thinking of Hyatt...
Unlikely. If you book a regular room through a PTS agent, it should be an eligible rate. But for Hyatt, you're probably better booking Hyatt Prive rates through a Prive-affiliated agent (i.e., not Amex)--lots more options/personal attention.

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Thanks for the info, very useful. So booking an airline ticket with PTS involves a $39 fee by Amex. Then if I want the airline to make any changes there will be the $50 fee by the airline, right?
The airline may or may not agree to make changes directly and may or may not charge you a fee if they do.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:01 pm

Question Credits & Payment Methods

I currently have credit with AmEx Travel due to a trip that they badly mangled and subsequently canceled. That credit (close to $500) is accessible via the "Trip ID". If I should go to Platinum Travel for my replacement booking, will that credit be accessible to the agent?

As a separate question, if I go with either one of them (AmEx Travel or Platinum) can I use airline Gift Cards for payment?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I currently have credit with AmEx Travel due to a trip that they badly mangled and subsequently canceled. That credit (close to $500) is accessible via the "Trip ID". If I should go to Platinum Travel for my replacement booking, will that credit be accessible to the agent?

As a separate question, if I go with either one of them (AmEx Travel or Platinum) can I use airline Gift Cards for payment?
The credit will reside in the GDS of the original booking agency. If the original ticket was through amextravel.com, it's unlikely the PTS call center has access to the details.

Also, one cannot redeem carrier-issued gift cards through travel agencies due to fraud-related concerns.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
If I book through PTS (a complicated multi-city itinerary), does it qualify for the 35% points refund from the Business Platinum for business-class tickets? I really want to avoid the Expedia portal but obviously want to confirm this benefit is intact via PTS.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
If I book through PTS (a complicated multi-city itinerary), does it qualify for the 35% points refund from the Business Platinum for business-class tickets? I really want to avoid the Expedia portal but obviously want to confirm this benefit is intact via PTS.
I had an attempted reservation with an agent, and she confirmed that PTS allows pay-with-points, and related benefits such as the 35% rebates.
However I have lingering doubts that she was indeed a PTS agent for the following reasons:
1. She carefully parsed her words about her role in the company;
2. She could not duplicate the fare available directly from the marketing airline, and quoted 10x as much;
3. She did not have her own phone extension, and the PTS I previously dealt with did.
Perhaps someone might suggest a better way to insure that no deception is involved in agent credentials.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:47 pm
mia

I had an attempted reservation with an agent,
Do you know the phone number that you called?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you know the phone number that you called?
Yes: 800.443.7672
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:20 pm
mia

That is the published number for PTS, but American Express has removed it from most of the pages where I used to see it, and may have rerouted. I would simply say, "Do you work for Platinum Travel Service?"
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia
... I would simply say, "Do you work for Platinum Travel Service?"
I did, and the agent didn't answer Yes, but rephrased it instead. I should've HUCA at that point. I'll try again, and will be more alert to such clues
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:41 pm

I did, and the agent didn't answer Yes, but rephrased it instead. I should've HUCA at that point. I'll try again, and will be more alert to such clues
Follow-up: Tried connecting to PTS at the same number two more times. Both times the agents on the other end explicitly claimed that they worked for Platinum Travel Services. Neither one of them was a qualified travel agent -- not just unskilled, but totally clueless. If there are still any minimally competent travel agents affiliated with AmEx, I have no idea how to reach them.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Follow-up: Tried connecting to PTS at the same number two more times. Both times the agents on the other end explicitly claimed that they worked for Platinum Travel Services. Neither one of them was a qualified travel agent -- not just unskilled, but totally clueless. If there are still any minimally competent travel agents affiliated with AmEx, I have no idea how to reach them.
I feel you. I booked a flight through them and a hotel just to get Amex annual credits, and they pretend to be platinum service and neither agent had a clue.

I called about my Delta ticket because the times changed leaving me with a 37 minute connection. They said too bad you have to pay to change it (even though Delta has no change fees now)! I can't change it online because it's assigned to Amex Travel. I'm calling Delta or when I show up for my flight have them change it on the spot.

I called about the hotel because I received more than one confirmation email with three different confirmation numbers and I wanted them to confirm all three numbers were associated with the one reservation, because their site got stuck when I was on the payment screen and had to book again. Figured there were two bookings accidentally. The agent didn't really look and just asked for one of the numbers. I said there's 3 numbers. She said we have cross reference numbers and the booking is fine. I asked her to read all the numbers associated with that booking so I can confirm them, and she refused and kept saying it's one booking. I asked her how do you know since I didn't provide all the numbers to you. I asked her again to confirm all the numbers and she finally did with an ATTITUDE. I was hoping to receive a survey because she would have gotten a big fat ZERO.

This is when I wonder if it's worth the agony to deal with Amex Platinum annual credits ☹️ I hate AMEX TRAVEL!

*and after all that crap I still haven't received the $200 hotel credit and my statement has already closed
synzero likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Follow-up: Tried connecting to PTS at the same number two more times. Both times the agents on the other end explicitly claimed that they worked for Platinum Travel Services.
Were they offshore? Every single Expedia (amextravel.com) agent I've spoken with is offshore and not a native English-speaker.

It's unbelievably frustrating dealing with them. Took me 20 minutes last night just to cancel an upcoming AA flight. I spent 10 minutes with a first level agent, who then transferred me to their "Service Excellence" team, where I had to repeat the entire process (including identity verification). This would have taken literally 45 seconds with an AA agent.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Were they offshore? Every single Expedia (amextravel.com) agent I've spoken with is offshore and not a native English-speaker.

It's unbelievably frustrating dealing with them. Took me 20 minutes last night just to cancel an upcoming AA flight. I spent 10 minutes with a first level agent, who then transferred me to their "Service Excellence" team, where I had to repeat the entire process (including identity verification). This would have taken literally 45 seconds with an AA agent.
I'm not the poster you're addressing, but both of the reps I came in contact were off shore and you can tell they were working from home. I know a guy who did customer service work for many US banks. They have access to the accounts but not the entire account and can access supervisors for further information. But, most of them don't have formal training in a actual sit down classroom/conference room. It's all in book form on the internet. lol Many don't have a good understanding of how it all works unfortunately and give canned answers. And I don't like the fact I have to give out my credit card information to these people who aren't actually working for Amex. I'm really considering passing on any Amex Travel deals. Lets just say this, the guy I know who was doing this I wouldn't trust him with my personal information!

*just want to add that Amex Travel before covid was bad, but not as bad as it is now. I was actually able to talk to a real supervisor at a real desk in a real office back in March 2020 when cruises were all canceled, and she took care of my issue lickity split. Now, you're talking to people anywhere around the planet who don't have a clue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.