FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2002996-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-ua-only-2020-21-a.html)

gr2020 Oct 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by coast (Post 32752732)
How did you do the purchase? online and rep have both said it was over 10/1

I think the bonus ended, but the page to add funds (without bonus) is here:

https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

fbcooper Oct 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Yea I logged in through that link and just bought the $250 to just make use of my $200 credit, i didnt get the bonus.

italdesign Oct 17, 2020 12:29 am

Didn't see this in the last 2 pages - what's the expiration policy for TravelBank funded by Amex card? I'm confused between 18 months vs 5 years.

mia Oct 17, 2020 2:53 am

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 32753463)
....what's the expiration policy for TravelBank ....

As a general rule (and unless stated otherwise by United under the terms of a particular offer or the terms of certain qualifying activity as determined by United from time to time) all accrued TravelBank Cash in an Account is subject to expiration and/or forfeiture for any Member who fails at any time to engage in Account Activity (as defined above) for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months. United may, but shall have no obligation to, send a Member a notification of TravelBank Cash nearing or subject to expiration.
The longer expiration period was part of the "terms of a particular offer" which has ended. The offer had nothing to do with the method of payment.

stevenz101 Oct 17, 2020 3:15 pm

Is this for purchasing the United travel bank? Also how long did it take you to get reimbursed?

NDN Oct 17, 2020 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by stevenz101 (Post 32754643)
Is this for purchasing the United travel bank? Also how long did it take you to get reimbursed?

Did this twice now--each for $100. I was reimbursed about 2 days after the transaction fully posted.

mia Oct 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by stevenz101 (Post 32754643)
Is this for purchasing the United travel bank? ....

The thread discusses various United expenses which may be reimbursed. The TravelBank was closed for a few years, and reopened with a promotional offer which has ended. Scroll back to post 165 and read forward. TravelBank purchases are not reimbursable under the terms of the American Express benefit. The way that UA codes the purchases causes American Express' software to mistake them for fees. This could end at any time. There will be no advance notice or recourse.

gpicur Oct 18, 2020 9:01 pm

UA Travel Bank Ressurected

After waiting two years, I was able to fund my UA Travel Bank with $250 using my Amex Platinum Card. The credit appeared immediately and the expiration date is 2025.

I will post if and when Amex credits me with my UA Airline Fee Reimbursement.

Sterndogg Oct 19, 2020 11:46 am

AMEX Gold: Travel Bank purchase of $100 on October 16 and reimbursement credited on the 18th.
AMEX Plat: Travel Bank purchase of 2@$100 transactions on October 19 and reimbursement for both credited on the 22nd.

Nice to see this "feature" back on United and utilize for future flight credit.

mrash Oct 19, 2020 12:33 pm

I know I broke a cardinal rule by doing this, but I forgot to choose United before adding $100 to my TravelBank account yesterday. I'm trying to use the incidental credit for my Amex Gold card. I just chose United on the Amex site and the TravelBank charge still shows as pending. Is there any chance this eventually gets credited by Amex since by the time the charge clears it will show I signed up for United as my airline? Or did I eff up by doing it out of order?

superpishi Oct 19, 2020 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 32732434)
There are threads specific to each airline for tracking what does/does not qualify for the airline fee credit. Here's the UA thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2020-a.html

I'm not personally familiar with using it on UA, but a search of that thread for "priority boarding" returns two positive results so I think you are good to go!

[edit: previous post and my reply were moved in from another thread :)]

just an update.. on the United app, yes, there is an option to purchase PRIORITY BOARDING for $15 or $19 (depends on the flight and route). First time flying since pandemic...i purchased it ...only to realize it is useless.....there is no priority boarding...they board from the Back of the plane first...so makes no difference what 'group' number you are - lol. I got the Fee reimbursement anyway... from amex... also called united and asked for my money back since i was not allowed to use it. - once i get that refunded, i will tell amex to reverse my fee reimbursement... dont want to double dip.. but for the future, priority boarding fee is reimbursable .

gpicur Oct 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Amex Credit for UA Travel Bank Purchase

Originally Posted by gpicur (Post 32757115)
After waiting two years, I was able to fund my UA Travel Bank with $250 using my Amex Platinum Card. The credit appeared immediately and the expiration date is 2025.

I will post if and when Amex credits me with my UA Airline Fee Reimbursement.

Amex Credited my account for +/- $162 two days after I purchased a $250 UA Travel Bank credit. The credit was about 48 hours after the purchase. I think I previously received +/- $38 in Amex Airline Fee Credits for the fees/taxes related to an International UA Mileage Plus Award Ticket purchased in January on LH.

stevenz101 Oct 25, 2020 2:33 am

I did this recently for my amex platinum regular, schwab, and hilton aspire. They credited me the money, however looking at my benefits page, the meter was saying I used all my airline credit, and now it says to select a new airline, Has anyone experienced this or know whys this happening, or is this an error on them?

superpishi Oct 27, 2020 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by stevenz101 (Post 32771293)
I did this recently for my amex platinum regular, schwab, and hilton aspire. They credited me the money, however looking at my benefits page, the meter was saying I used all my airline credit, and now it says to select a new airline, Has anyone experienced this or know whys this happening, or is this an error on them?

i thought you are only allowed to pick a new airline at the beginning of each year?

shun Oct 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by superpishi (Post 32777469)
i thought you are only allowed to pick a new airline at the beginning of each year?

Amex lets you change your airline during the year if its not used via chat or call.