Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
Had 8 transactions in the last two months on my card. All less than $100 charges. Only thing reimbursed automatically was $9 taxes for same day change (taxes for adding a layover, no change fee as Gold).

Didn't know about the PC selection, but I'll have to try that.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Mehdron
FWIW: $100 pet in cabin fee reimbursed automatically on my Hilton Aspire AmEx
how long after transaction posting? Also was this for a refundable fare? Do you know if this can be refunded to travel wallet?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by applejax
Hello again, I want to actually credit a family members AS account with the wallet funds (They do not have AS status) Would this method work exactly the same way for this purpose or is this specifically for 75K? Can I just follow these steps with their account or do I need to tweak the process? Thanks again :-)
I got an email notification that someone else responded to this saying the credit would go to the wallet of the purchaser and that should be true. Also that it shouldn't matter. That post was either removed or lost to the ether. In my case it did matter, as I was trying to combine the credits with $75 CS vouchers that were issued to multiple people. Though in hindsight I wonder if I could have just applied the $75 certificate numbers from a single account.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bradpitch92
how long after transaction posting? Also was this for a refundable fare? Do you know if this can be refunded to travel wallet?
The fee was reimbursed to my AmEx account 7 days later. It is strictly within the AmEx account, so no, it has nothing to do with Alaska MyWallet funds. Not a refundable fare, but the pet in cabin charge is the same regardless of fare class.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by burningflames
Had 8 transactions in the last two months on my card. All less than $100 charges. Only thing reimbursed automatically was $9 taxes for same day change (taxes for adding a layover, no change fee as Gold).

Didn't know about the PC selection, but I'll have to try that.
Amex for some reason often doesn't reimburse AS incidentals automatically, but in many of those cases does reimburse them if you chat with Amex 14+ days after the charge posts. That's what I had to do for a PC selection recently.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Just made some cheap AS flight reservations. AMEX PLAT reimbursed $46.52, $74.40, and $61.70
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by BarryL
Just made some cheap AS flight reservations. AMEX PLAT reimbursed $46.52, $74.40, and $61.70
Amazing. If this sticks I hope people are wise enough not to request refunds to and get a clawback.2 years from now and bring attention to this
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Amazing. If this sticks I hope people are wise enough not to request refunds to and get a clawback.2 years from now and bring attention to this
If I chose not to take those flights, I’d opt to put the funds in my AS Wallet. I don’t think AMEX could claw that scenario back as there was no refund issued against AMEX balance.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If I chose not to take those flights, I’d opt to put the funds in my AS Wallet. I don’t think AMEX could claw that scenario back as there was no refund issued against AMEX balance.
And the change/cancellation fee waiver Alaska has going right now means you don't have to be MVPG/75K to do that.
pcoll likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
BTW, when you cancel and have it put toward wallet funds, do they get added to a single balance or do you get discrete wallet fund certificates? And if you get discrete certificates, can you use more than one per flight/is it possible to get them combined?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
BTW, when you cancel and have it put toward wallet funds, do they get added to a single balance or do you get discrete wallet fund certificates? And if you get discrete certificates, can you use more than one per flight/is it possible to get them combined?
wondering the same. Since these would be valid for 1 year, worried that they will combine total to that posted for Gift Certificated deposited into account. GC are good indefinitely. How would the totals be reflected on My Wallet funds?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
single balance.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:56 am

How long did it take for the reimbursement to post?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
How long did it take for the reimbursement to post?
Less than a week.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:56 pm

Less than a week.
Hmm...with the cancellation waivers, might be worth a try instead of going with the legitimate seat upgrade. I guess I can buy a cheap fare, wait for a week, if it doesn't reimburse, tack on the seat upgrade and then get the manual reimbursment after 2 weeks. I hadn't heard of Amex crediting for cheap AS flights like they were doing for WN, your success seems to be an outlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.