Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Ijag77
ah got it, thought you had refunded to wallet already, must have misunderstoood
I did for a different flight, so the credit is in my wallet and there is no ticket number left to refund. In VG’s scenario, if I am reading it correctly, rather than refunding anything to the wallet, you would have the ticket numbers emailed to you (rather than choosing refund to the wallet) and then try to refund just the flight ticket back to the CC. I didn’t do that.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Johnny O
Without scrolling thru every previous comment, I am interested in using multiple airline fee credits toward the Alaska Lounge Membership, BUT, has anyone tried (successfully) to buy the lounge membership using multiple cards, say $100 on the gold card, $200 on the Platinum, and maybe the rest on Alaska card? Will they allow you to split pay for the annual membership??

Thanks in advance for help with this ever so tough credit to use....
I did this with 2 cards at the Alaska Lounge in Concourse C at SeaTac on Wednesday without any pushback. The agent commented that she had to do it manually.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by soundore
I did this with 2 cards at the Alaska Lounge in Concourse C at SeaTac on Wednesday without any pushback. The agent commented that she had to do it manually.
Nice. Interested to see how long credit(s) take to post. And whether it is system driven or manual phone call intervention is needed.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by soundore
Please report back if the credit successfully goes through. Was hoping to do the same thing for my and P2's Aspire credits.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:42 am

Booked 2 award tix w/ $64.50 of taxes + fees - both were reimbursed by my credit which was surprising! Just booked to Premium seats on the flight as well so will actually get good use out of the credit this year.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:28 am

My wife and I booked 2 x $48.30 tickets on AS on both the Platinum and Gold cards on the 12/30 & 12/31. We cancelled all the tickets within 24-hours and got reimbursed on both cards on 1/1/2020.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by teocon18
My wife and I booked 2 x $48.30 tickets on AS on both the Platinum and Gold cards on the 12/30 & 12/31. We cancelled all the tickets within 24-hours and got reimbursed on both cards on 1/1/2020.
Do you need to cancel within 24 hours to get award tickets fully refunded?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:33 pm

thank you for sharing! were these flight tickets and did the refunds post before or after the credit posted?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by pointscrusher
thank you for sharing! were these flight tickets and did the refunds post before or after the credit posted?
I had to cancel within 24-hours as I do not want to incur any fee. These were all one-way tickets and the refund posted prior to the credit posted.
pointscrusher likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence
Booked 2 award tix w/ $64.50 of taxes + fees - both were reimbursed by my credit which was surprising! Just booked to Premium seats on the flight as well so will actually get good use out of the credit this year.
Wow that’s impressively fast. I booked a bunch of award tickets on the 27th and am still waiting for credits to post. Wonder what the difference is.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does AMEX not claw back the statement credit if the charge is refunded?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Does AMEX not claw back the statement credit if the charge is refunded?
Not in my experience, no.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I read through a lot of the other thread and saw this question asked but not answered. Can this be used for $125 change or cancellation fee on awards? I have no status with AS so I would pay those fees and wouldn't mind getting them reimbursed.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: United 1P
Originally Posted by friedablass
I read through a lot of the other thread and saw this question asked but not answered. Can this be used for $125 change or cancellation fee on awards? I have no status with AS so I would pay those fees and wouldn't mind getting them reimbursed.
I have the same question. Is the $125 award change or cancellation fee eligible for Amex reimbursement?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:42 pm

Yes, at least as of November last year. I had a $125 cancellation fee credited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.