Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

I actually think the Platinum Card looks better. I have one associated with my Centurion account:
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Thanks for the photos. I think the US version looks better than the German one. Here for comparison...
Agreed, Maybe we will get an update soon.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The other demographic point is that starting in April 2020, they will likely invite a whole lot more Americans to Centurion. The ones willing to pay the new fees. It is possible they could double or triple the Centurion population. Just in NYC alone. The revenues will at least fund administration of this program quite well.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
The other demographic point is that starting in April 2020, they will likely invite a whole lot more Americans to Centurion. The ones willing to pay the new fees. It is possible they could double or triple the Centurion population. Just in NYC alone. The revenues will at least fund administration of this program quite well.
Why do you say this?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do you say this?
It just seems likely to me that they are moving away from hyper exclusivity with these changes and they would like to earn more revenue from the new fee structure.

After the first year of Centurion there were about 250 Centurion members (if I recall correctly). It was such a small group that the amount of revenue from the $1000 annual fee meant nothing to Amex. But if they have over a million members paying $5K plus a bunch of new initiation fees, it can be classed as a small revenue center.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

It just seems likely to me that they are moving away from hyper exclusivity with these changes and they would like to earn more revenue from the new fee structure.
I was more curious about your April 2020 date. It seemed very specific. Also, alluding to an earlier exchange, I recall in the early 1980s the Platinum Card being very exclusive, by invitation only. I can see Centurion going this way eventually with another higher-level card taking its place.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was more curious about your April 2020 date.
That is the date in the email we all (US members) got.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended

That is the date in the email we all (US members) got.
Just so I understand this correctly, you are postulating that, since Amex has decided that from April 2020 Centurion US fees go up significantly, they will invite a whole bunch of new members who, presumably, qualify under the membership criteria, and are happy to pay the $5,000 annual fee. Is that correct (just asking)?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:42 pm

I can see how people are upset here if they aren't near Equinox. I imagine that a lot of Centurion members are living in larger metropolitan areas though and might be able to use the membership at least occasionally.
I personally am saving 3k on Equinox membership which I already am a member of, the Saks is a nice perk which I will easily be able to use even if only online...you can always use the $250 each quarter for gifts or something other than high end designer clothing - skincare products, a briefcase, jewelry, a wallet, sneakers, etc.

Those new perks already cover my entire 5k annual membership. Delta Platinum is a nice value as well as the WOW gifts. The warranty extension is worth at least 2-3k each year though in actuality probably much more (appliances for rental investment properties that break after year 2 or 3). Throw in Uber, Clear (already a member), the insurance benefits, the ability to transfer miles and the bonus points offerings. That's just off the top of my head.

For me at least, am VERY happy with the new benefits.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Jay66

Our card in Germany also looks "Fake" since the relaunch a few years ago.. so I share your feeling. And it doesn't have contactless either.
Doesn't the whole contactless (and mobile) payment system more or less defeat the point - pun intended - of using a Centurion card? If you don't hand the card to some store clerk or server, have them hold it carefully with two white-gloved hands, bow deeply in your general direction, and then carefully swipe the card, why not just use a card with better earnings?
PMFR likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So Centurions fee in Sweden is about $3100 for enrollment + $3100/year, which makes the Centurions annual fee about 4.5x the Platinum cards annual fee in the same market (albeit the latter is a monthly fee rather than an annual fee). Not sure what good the Centurion is for the Swedish market over the Platinum other than you get a larger guest allowance for Amexs lounge restaurant facility at Stockholms Arlanda Airport. I wonder what happens when one of these Centurion customers try to use an Equinox on the basis of presenting a Centurion card for US Centurion-style included access.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 5, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:34 pm

Err presumably it doesnt work because they cant get to the online enrollment portal and because their card number reflects a non-US issued account.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:58 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It looks like there's no designation of business on the front of the new design business centurions: https://thepointsguy.com/news/tpgs-n...enturion-card/
So I guess the personal and business look the same now?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by S.R
It looks like there's no designation of business on the front of the new design business centurions: https://thepointsguy.com/news/tpgs-n...enturion-card/
So I guess the personal and business look the same now?
I hope not. I have both a Personal Centurion and a Business Centurion and I know them by the design when I pull them from my wallet. If they are identical then Ill really have to pay attention to the numbers. I hope that the business Card at least says Business like the Platinum design. Maybe TPG used a picture of personal card. I cant imagine that Amexs flagship product shares the same design for both personal and business.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.