Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Old Amex paid ($9.95/ticket) travel delay protection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Ive been an amex customer for years, and also had citi prestige. Ive charged all of my airline tickets to the Prestige since I got it because of the travel insurance included, which is now going away.

Ive been looking at other options, including an annual travel policy.

After seeing the 9.95 Travel Delay Protection charge pop up on my Amex Statement, triggered by a purchase through the International Airline Program, I had to rack my brain to remember what it was.

Anyone with any thoughts about whether this is worth it to keep? It seems cheaper than coverage offered by the airlines, but it doesnt seem to cover much.

Add: This option apparently isnt open to new members and hasnt been for a number years.

Last edited by keifernny; Aug 2, 2019 at 8:35 am Reason: add information
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:30 pm

I too still have this coverage, and it is indeed no longer offered to new members. I figured if I'm going to keep putting airfare on my Platinum for the 5x, I may as well have some sort of trip delay protection. Although lately I've been thinking of buying more comprehensive travel insurance. If I do that, I will likely cancel this coverage. Right now I'm holding off canceling because I won't be able to get it back.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:40 pm

if you travel enough, buy an annual trip insurance policy out of pocket. could get purchased for $300

you can find/pick and choose what to cover (and at what limit/conditions): baggage delay, trip delay, trip cancellation, trip interruption (including extra costs to continue trip/get home like a brand new ticket), medical evacuation, medical insurance, etc

$10/trip for just trip delay is overpriced IMO... it pays out max $500 after 4 hour delay?

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 12, 2019 at 6:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.