Able to dispute payment made through PayPal with AMEX?

Old Jun 19, 19, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Able to dispute payment made through PayPal with AMEX?

Hi guys,

I have a case where for some vacation rental, the person wants me to advance a % of the 1 month rent through PayPal.
One of the first thing I noticed was that PayPal does not offer protection for anything related to real estate, so I am out of luck.

If I pay with the AMEX platinum and something goes wrong, could I dispute the charges with AMEX or is that also a lost cause because I used a service such as PayPal?
What are your thoughts around this?

I think if it was a good, it would be ok because PayPal seems to cover them. Since rents are not covered, I am not sure what to think.
Old Jun 19, 19, 12:44 pm

Why can't you make the payment through the platform that you rented through?

IIRC, most online platforms require you to make payment through them in order to receive the appropriate protections. If you did use an online platform, the fact that the other side is asking you to make payment off platform is a huge red flag to me.
Old Jun 19, 19, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Excellent question, it's not a platform at the end, it's just that I saw a facebook page, and then the description was on a site that I know but it is just a site to put people together (a foreign site I am aware of). I get it, it's not as clear cut as AirBNB but well. I suppose you are right, it does not look great.

PS: After a conversation with AMEX, it seems AMEX will consider that as a charge and could dispute it if need be.
Old Jun 19, 19, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Yeah. I think this is why airbnb/homeaway/booking.com are better choices for both sides.

It does seem you should be able to dispute if you use PayPal.
Old Jun 19, 19, 1:04 pm

Do this all the time for dispute through paypal. I also received them all the time as a merchant.
if you have a case, then it will work. Amex will disregard paypal policy/user agreement.
If you have a centurion card, you will almost always win if you have a case.
Old Jun 19, 19, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigbellymonkey View Post
Do this all the time for dispute through paypal. I also received them all the time as a merchant.
if you have a case, then it will work. Amex will disregard paypal policy/user agreement.
If you have a centurion card, you will almost always win if you have a case.
Thanks for the feedback, I am just a platinum card holder and certainly will never be centurion () but I hope AMEX will side with me if I have the case.
Old Jun 19, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
How long will it be from when you pay to when you find out if it is a scam? not sure it matters with AMEX (ive had 100% success with every paypal issue with them, but never real estate.)
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:11 am

Common scam

This has all the markers of a common rental scam:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comme...m_master_post/

https://realestate.usnews.com/real-e...-a-rental-scam

https://www.cambridgema.gov/cpd/comm...listscams.aspx
Old Jun 20, 19, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
How long will it be from when you pay to when you find out if it is a scam? not sure it matters with AMEX (ive had 100% success with every paypal issue with them, but never real estate.)
The contract is potentially for August so I will only know on 8/01. The person sent the property taxes and is sending the ID as well so hopefully that's a good sign.
Old Jun 21, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
The contract is potentially for August so I will only know on 8/01. The person sent the property taxes and is sending the ID as well so hopefully that's a good sign.
Property taxes are public record,. and IDs can be faked especially if being scanned in. I hope we're wrong but it does all sound suspicious.
Old Jun 21, 19, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Property taxes are public record,. and IDs can be faked especially if being scanned in. I hope we're wrong but it does all sound suspicious.
I don't think that you can get the properties taxes in the public record in France, but maybe there are some exception. I'll tell you more around Sep, if all goes well.

Search this Thread