Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX increasing annual fees while minimizing rewards

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

AMEX increasing annual fees while minimizing rewards

With the increase of annual fees across just about every card, do you think AMEX is really providing a rewarding service when compared to the fees they now charge? In terms of rewards, it's coming to bare that JPM is providing a more rewarding experience than AMEX. I did enjoy the SPG card and it's rewards, but Marriott is slowly killing their Bonvoy program after the SPG acquisition. Hilton has promise though, I just use the no-fee one. I am trying to justify the AMEX fees and relative rewards, but I am not seeing it. Perhaps, if I travelled more I'd see it with points. I think I have 2 million or so AMEX Pts.. It's one of the reasons why I prefer cash back.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I like what AMEX is doing honestly. They’ve enhanced the Gold and BCP, and they’ve given you incentives to use the cards instead of just getting the bonus and putting them away. Chase hasn’t made any changes since the CSR was launched.

The SPG changes were not really in AMEXs control, so you can blame them for that
Old May 19, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by comptalk
In terms of rewards, it's coming to bare that JPM is providing a more rewarding experience than AMEX.
This is true if you're looking to book mostly coach tickets through the Expedia portal. Then you'll get 1.5cpp using the CSR. AMEX transfer partners are much better than Chase. Chase has 2 unique partners, United and Hyatt. With the recent United devaluation MileagePlus isn't as valuable as it use to be.

It just depends on what you want to redeem for.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by zorbachs
I like what AMEX is doing honestly. They’ve enhanced the Gold and BCP, and they’ve given you incentives to use the cards instead of just getting the bonus and putting them away. Chase hasn’t made any changes since the CSR was launched.

The SPG changes were not really in AMEXs control, so you can blame them for that
I disagree about the Gold. Gold is now useless, given extra benefits to platinum, including earning. Why would anyone get the gold card?
They increased the annual fee, gave a supposed restaurant bonus that doesn't actually worse in practice (many "restaurants" aren't coding for the 4x, and it is only in the US). And they have tremendously hard to use airline credits.

You're missing what Citi has done with their cards. 5x on citi prestige for food.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

I've not bought a flight with cash or points in awhile. Last time I booked a flight, it was SPGFlights a few years ago. I sometimes stay at a four or five star hotel. That was usually Hilton or SPG, now prob. going to be Hilton as the points to earning ratio is lower and the earning power is higher. I do sometimes use the Marriott points for their experiences, that is about it. I miss the SPG card though. It's a shame Marriott had to buy SPG. They really ruined a good brand. I remember, under SPG, the tickets to the Knicks and Rangers were basically on the floor. Now, they are in a skybox.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I disagree about the Gold. Gold is now useless, given extra benefits to platinum, including earning. Why would anyone get the gold card?
They increased the annual fee, gave a supposed restaurant bonus that doesn't actually worse in practice (many "restaurants" aren't coding for the 4x, and it is only in the US). And they have tremendously hard to use airline credits.

You're missing what Citi has done with their cards. 5x on citi prestige for food.
Agreed. I tried to stay with the revamped Gold, but couldn't because the value wasn't there. My res. charges were 1x pts. mostly instead of the 4x pts. As for the Gold business, had the same issues with advertising spending. I cannot justify the AMEX Platinum fee. If they fix the Uber issue (should be annual, not piecemeal), I'd certainly consider it again; with more value and a more reasonable membership fee.

Sorry, I think AMEX dropped the ball on the revamped Gold and Platinum cards. Less value and more cost. I do not have this issue with my JPM Reserve Card.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold

i really have not had an issue with coding aside from maybe 1-2 places a month. So for me, having dining give me 4x points over 2x is excellent for me. The old PRG was a fairly useless card because it didn’t really out earn any other card in terms of benefits.

Citis transfer partners are useless for me, so that’s a nonstarter. As someone who flies mainly delta, I’m fairly loyal to MR points.
mikesyr18 and muaddib89 like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by zorbachs
i really have not had an issue with coding aside from maybe 1-2 places a month. So for me, having dining give me 4x points over 2x is excellent for me. The old PRG was a fairly useless card because it didn’t really out earn any other card in terms of benefits.

Citis transfer partners are useless for me, so that’s a nonstarter. As someone who flies mainly delta, I’m fairly loyal to MR points.
I don't see the value in Delta skymiles. Sure, you can use them more than any other currency, as in availability is great, but you pay through the nose with the amount of points.

AMEX just drops the ball on ease of use. You shouldn't have any issues with coding, 1-2 places a month is too much.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
The new Gold card is a winner in my book.

easy credits to use and the 4X on dining/groceries is pretty nice. Only once in 3 years have I ever had any coding issues with Amex and restaurants.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It's 5X for dining out, but Citi and Chase have nothing ongoing for groceries.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Oh yeah, sorry. That's what "food" means to me.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
The new Gold card is a winner in my book.

easy credits to use and the 4X on dining/groceries is pretty nice. Only once in 3 years have I ever had any coding issues with Amex and restaurants.
I'm with you on this. Never have had a coding issue for dining or groceries, and the 4x on groceries makes Amazon purchases 4x. I don't use the GrubHub credit every month but it's just gravy on top when I do.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:44 pm

I love Chase and I do not even use the Chase Saphire. You can book hotels so much easier and the discount shows up immediately. Amex really has been slow to turn their ship.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by mia
Citi Rewards+ has 2X on groceries up to $6K/year (plus roundup to nearest 10th mile...)
mia likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JHake10
It just depends on what you want to redeem for.
Yup. I find AMEX points way more valuable than UR due to the flexibility. Recently used them to upgrade EK J to F. Can't beat that.

And Platinum Travel Services (FHR and IAP) is awesome. Plat card is really valuable for premium travel. Additionally, the AMEX offers can be quite rewarding . . . I was in the market for new Rimowa - now I'll get 15k MR for that.

I'm also getting kind of tired of Chase hosing me on forex transactions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.