Search

AMEX increasing annual fees while minimizing rewards

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zorbachs
I like what AMEX is doing honestly. They’ve enhanced the Gold and BCP, and they’ve given you incentives to use the cards instead of just getting the bonus and putting them away.
Agree! The Gold Card is great now, even with the AF increase the effective AF is lower, at least for me. Plus at 4x grocery stores is an MS gold mine if you participate in that. As far as the Plat goes, even at $550 can hold a lot of value. I am clearly biased as a primarily Delta flyer and have a Centurion Lounge at my usual airports so I can see how those who don't, don't see the same value. I am also in the nice position of being able to cash out my airline GCs from the airline credit at 100% through work reimbursable travel.

With the Gold, like many others I had some coding issues shortly after the revamp where things were coding as 1x vs 4x, but they've been fixing things. I think I've had only one miss in the last 2-3 months.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm also getting kind of tired of Chase hosing me on forex transactions.
I mainly use my CSR for forex. Are the rates not favorable? I haven't been checking. I always thought Visa provided the exchange rate and it was generally decent.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JHake10
I mainly use my CSR for forex. Are the rates not favorable? I haven't been checking. I always thought Visa provided the exchange rate and it was generally decent.
My recent CSP charges have been at a rate which is considerably under market. If I didn't know better, I'd say Chase was applying a currency conversion fee.
JHake10 likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold

its my understanding from experience that the issuing bank determines the exchange rate.

Ive used several different Visa cards on the same day and each had its own exchange rate. They were very similar but some were clearly better then chase. Chase isn’t horrible in my experience but it’s not as good as USB and Penfed
JHake10 likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Agree! The Gold Card is great now, even with the AF increase the effective AF is lower, at least for me. Plus at 4x grocery stores is an MS gold mine if you participate in that. As far as the Plat goes, even at $550 can hold a lot of value. I am clearly biased as a primarily Delta flyer and have a Centurion Lounge at my usual airports so I can see how those who don't, don't see the same value. I am also in the nice position of being able to cash out my airline GCs from the airline credit at 100% through work reimbursable travel.

With the Gold, like many others I had some coding issues shortly after the revamp where things were coding as 1x vs 4x, but they've been fixing things. I think I've had only one miss in the last 2-3 months.
The coding issue seems to mainly be with Square or Clover terminals. The only few places I noticed did not code properly use those terminals, and Amex should fix that in time. Even with that, 4x on dining is better than anything else you can get.

Chase is easier to use for redemption, but I find the premium features of the CSR to be lacking. No Centurion lounge, Delta lounges, and PP lounges are not that common in the US, so I don't even consider PP as a feature. I also use the Uber credits, which the CSR does not offer (although they do offer $300 in credits, I know). No FHR, no Hilton/Marriott status.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'm with you on this. Never have had a coding issue for dining or groceries, and the 4x on groceries makes Amazon purchases 4x. I don't use the GrubHub credit every month but it's just gravy on top when I do.
wait really? amazon purchases earn 4x points on the Gold card? or does it only apply to amazon fresh?
Old May 20, 2019, 10:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dpy940307
.... amazon purchases earn 4x points on the Gold card? ....
No, but buying Amazon giftcards at a supermarket with the Gold card earns 4 points per dollar, and you can load those cards to your Amazon account.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
The new Gold card is a winner in my book.

easy credits to use and the 4X on dining/groceries is pretty nice. Only once in 3 years have I ever had any coding issues with Amex and restaurants.
Agreed. For my particular spend profile, groceries and dining are our 2nd and 3rd biggest expense after rent. We're seeing phenomenally better returns since Amex introduced the new Gold card.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:33 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Yeah, mrs hauteboy's Amex Plat is up for renewal.. was debating not renew this year. Though she's traveling more this year, not to airports typically with an (accessible) Amex or PP lounge.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The Amex products do seem more specific than the Chase products, with no one-size-fits-all card. For me, the $550 Platinum annual fee is more than paid for. The Gold card doesn't work for my household though because I'd rather just get 3% on restaurants and all travel (used except for flights on my Plat) from the $0-AF Costco card. My wife had been looking at the business Plat for her business but that refresh is a definite no-go for her.

Funny though, I don't use my Plat day-to-day, I earn MRs with my $0 AF Everyday card (1.2 pts/$ with the bonus)

Originally Posted by mia
No, but buying Amazon giftcards at a supermarket with the Gold card earns 4 points per dollar, and you can load those cards to your Amazon account.
Great point, but I will remind folks that if you use a gift card at Amazon you lose out on various credit card perks like price adjustments or extended warranty.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
This is true if you're looking to book mostly coach tickets through the Expedia portal. Then you'll get 1.5cpp using the CSR. AMEX transfer partners are much better than Chase. Chase has 2 unique partners, United and Hyatt. With the recent United devaluation MileagePlus isn't as valuable as it use to be.
Not even close to accurate.

AMEX can't even do 1:1 to JetBlue like Chase does.

Hyatt is a better hotel transfer partner than anything AMEX has.

Delta is a weak transfer partner. Southwest and United are both better transfer partners.

Marriott is a weak transfer partner.

Hilton is a weak transfer partner.

In fact, I would go as far as saying MR has been devalued plenty over the last several years, where Chase has mostly remained the same or become slightly more valuable.

Last edited by mikesyr18; May 20, 2019 at 11:45 am
Old May 20, 2019, 11:16 am
mia

Originally Posted by Gig103
....extended warranty.
When I purchase a durable product priced ~$500+ I pay directly with a card, but that's a tiny fraction of our Amazon spend.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Agreed. For my particular spend profile, groceries and dining are our 2nd and 3rd biggest expense after rent. We're seeing phenomenally better returns since Amex introduced the new Gold card.
ditto, im picking up almost 3.5x as many points per month since i paired the gold and plat cards (vs plat only). i spend significantly more eating out then rent or groceries so the 4x kicker has been awesome.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
But why would you do that when you can earn 5% cashback with the Amazon Prime Store or Credit Card?
Old May 20, 2019, 12:37 pm
mia

Originally Posted by comptalk
But why would you do that when you can earn 5% cashback with the Amazon Prime Store or Credit Card?
Membership Rewards points are worth more the $0.01 each.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.