FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX increasing annual fees while minimizing rewards
Old May 19, 2019, 4:41 pm
comptalk

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I disagree about the Gold. Gold is now useless, given extra benefits to platinum, including earning. Why would anyone get the gold card?
They increased the annual fee, gave a supposed restaurant bonus that doesn't actually worse in practice (many "restaurants" aren't coding for the 4x, and it is only in the US). And they have tremendously hard to use airline credits.

You're missing what Citi has done with their cards. 5x on citi prestige for food.
Agreed. I tried to stay with the revamped Gold, but couldn't because the value wasn't there. My res. charges were 1x pts. mostly instead of the 4x pts. As for the Gold business, had the same issues with advertising spending. I cannot justify the AMEX Platinum fee. If they fix the Uber issue (should be annual, not piecemeal), I'd certainly consider it again; with more value and a more reasonable membership fee.

Sorry, I think AMEX dropped the ball on the revamped Gold and Platinum cards. Less value and more cost. I do not have this issue with my JPM Reserve Card.