Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who else has the Platinum, Gold, AND CSR?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Who else has the Platinum, Gold, AND CSR?

How are you justifying the economics behind it? The Gold and CSR definitely cannibalize your point earning but holding all three still returns positive value in a year. Who else is doing this?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The CSR is very valuable overseas. The bonus categories actually work internationally.
D582 and OATS09 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:53 am

I have all three and don’t even think twice about it.
linglingfool, Grapenut and RedSun like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by Statman
I have all three and don’t even think twice about it.

Same...

BPLAT - For my business ($5K+ charges net 1.5 MR points) - Those invoices add up MR points quickly- AF is tax-deductible as a bonus

Gold - Gas/Groceries/Dining out

CSR - All Travel-related expenses (works great internationally)

CapOne Venture - 2% back on everything else
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I have the AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold, AMEX Blue Business Plus, and the Chase CSR. I think having the gold card is definitely reducing my spend on Chase even more. However, the Chase Visa is better overseas and the bonus categories aren't tied to the US. Since I utilize transfer partners I can transfer to common partners and maximize my points.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I don’t think it makes sense to keep the CSR anymore if you have the new Gold Card. You can use your Ink Preferred for 3x travel US and Int’l, and you can get the Uber Visa for 4% cashback and 0% FTF on international dining. If you assume 1 UR = $0.015 then the incremental annual fee from the Ink Preferred to the CSR is $68.50. ($450-$300+the $13.50 you no longer earn in rewards on that $300 in spend). To make up that $68.50 you’d need to spend $13,700 on international dining a year. Maybe some of you do I just don’t find that reasonable. The only other valuable benefit the CSR holds is the primary rental insurance and I really very rarely rent a domestic car for personal use.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:08 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

We keep 2 AmEx Plats, both personal and biz Gold, Chase CSR and 2 Chase Ritz Carlton. As long as the card turns in positive (or get paid), we'll keep them all.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jags86
I don’t think it makes sense to keep the CSR anymore if you have the new Gold Card. You can use your Ink Preferred for 3x travel US and Int’l, and you can get the Uber Visa for 4% cashback and 0% FTF on international dining. If you assume 1 UR = $0.015 then the incremental annual fee from the Ink Preferred to the CSR is $68.50. ($450-$300+the $13.50 you no longer earn in rewards on that $300 in spend). To make up that $68.50 you’d need to spend $13,700 on international dining a year. Maybe some of you do I just don’t find that reasonable. The only other valuable benefit the CSR holds is the primary rental insurance and I really very rarely rent a domestic car for personal use.
The value of Chase CSR is far beyond what you just said. To pool all the Chase URs, you need either CSR or CSP. And CSR's 1.5x UR multiplier is the floor for travel booking. You definitely need the CSR if you get a portfolio of several Freedom or Unlimited CCs. I'd gladly pay the $68 you mentioned. I do not even think that figure is correct.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I have the Schwab Plat (reduced fee) for airfare+lounge access, Gold for food, BBP for everyday, CSR for travel, and the Prestige (reduced fee) for fourth nights at hotels. Once I figure out what to do with my pile of UR, I'll probably ditch the CSR given the improved Gold benefits -- only thing I'm missing out on is an expanded travel category, but Prestige still gives 3x. Funny how quickly I went from considering getting rid of the Gold this year to looking to ditch the CSR. I've had pretty good luck with retention offers from AMEX and Citi, so I've had most of these cards for years with minimal out-of-pocket.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
.... missing out on is an expanded travel category, but Prestige still gives 3x. .....
Prestige only covers airfare, lodging and agency transactions. Citi Premier has a broader travel category than Chase, or if you want to stay with Chase INK Preferred has the same travel category as Sapphire Reserve, at a lower cost.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
The value of Chase CSR is far beyond what you just said. To pool all the Chase URs, you need either CSR or CSP. And CSR's 1.5x UR multiplier is the floor for travel booking. You definitely need the CSR if you get a portfolio of several Freedom or Unlimited CCs. I'd gladly pay the $68 you mentioned. I do not even think that figure is correct.
ink preferred works as a replacement to CSR (unless you eat in overseas restaurants a lot), if you have another card for PP

grocery category(4x) on gold is unique and game changer when you consider the effective AF ($30-$100+, depending how you discount the credits). other card would be EDP/BCP with a higher AF

travel/restaurant category is common to a lot of cards (uber, csr, gold, prestige/preferred etc), just need to pick and choose, and whether you want trip delay/cancellation protection
Diplomatico likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 20, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
You can do the same with the CIP.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:51 pm
Suspended

I hear what you say. But I do not cut cards just because they are not the top earners.

CIP gives you 1.25x UR, not the CSR's 1.5X UR. They are not the same. For people having several UR cards, it makes difference.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....1.25x UR, not the CSR's 1.5X UR. They are not the same. For people having several UR cards, it makes difference.
Only if you redeem by Pay with Points. If you redeem by transferring to airline or hotel partners there is no difference.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Only if you redeem by Pay with Points. If you redeem by transferring to airline or hotel partners there is no difference.
Option always has value. I wouldn’t say the cards with 1.25x and 1.5x are the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.