FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Who else has the Platinum, Gold, AND CSR? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1936502-who-else-has-platinum-gold-csr.html)

WantsAmex Oct 20, 2018 7:46 am

Who else has the Platinum, Gold, AND CSR?

How are you justifying the economics behind it? The Gold and CSR definitely cannibalize your point earning but holding all three still returns positive value in a year. Who else is doing this?

Explore SE Asia Oct 20, 2018 8:04 am

The CSR is very valuable overseas. The bonus categories actually work internationally.

Statman Oct 20, 2018 8:53 am

I have all three and don’t even think twice about it.

SeaHawg Oct 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 30336192)
I have all three and don’t even think twice about it.

Same...

BPLAT - For my business ($5K+ charges net 1.5 MR points) - Those invoices add up MR points quickly- AF is tax-deductible as a bonus

Gold - Gas/Groceries/Dining out

CSR - All Travel-related expenses (works great internationally)

CapOne Venture - 2% back on everything else

JHake10 Oct 20, 2018 2:52 pm

I have the AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold, AMEX Blue Business Plus, and the Chase CSR. I think having the gold card is definitely reducing my spend on Chase even more. However, the Chase Visa is better overseas and the bonus categories aren't tied to the US. Since I utilize transfer partners I can transfer to common partners and maximize my points.

jags86 Oct 20, 2018 4:53 pm

I don’t think it makes sense to keep the CSR anymore if you have the new Gold Card. You can use your Ink Preferred for 3x travel US and Int’l, and you can get the Uber Visa for 4% cashback and 0% FTF on international dining. If you assume 1 UR = $0.015 then the incremental annual fee from the Ink Preferred to the CSR is $68.50. ($450-$300+the $13.50 you no longer earn in rewards on that $300 in spend). To make up that $68.50 you’d need to spend $13,700 on international dining a year. Maybe some of you do I just don’t find that reasonable. The only other valuable benefit the CSR holds is the primary rental insurance and I really very rarely rent a domestic car for personal use.

RedSun Oct 20, 2018 5:08 pm

We keep 2 AmEx Plats, both personal and biz Gold, Chase CSR and 2 Chase Ritz Carlton. As long as the card turns in positive (or get paid), we'll keep them all.

RedSun Oct 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by jags86 (Post 30337653)
I don’t think it makes sense to keep the CSR anymore if you have the new Gold Card. You can use your Ink Preferred for 3x travel US and Int’l, and you can get the Uber Visa for 4% cashback and 0% FTF on international dining. If you assume 1 UR = $0.015 then the incremental annual fee from the Ink Preferred to the CSR is $68.50. ($450-$300+the $13.50 you no longer earn in rewards on that $300 in spend). To make up that $68.50 you’d need to spend $13,700 on international dining a year. Maybe some of you do I just don’t find that reasonable. The only other valuable benefit the CSR holds is the primary rental insurance and I really very rarely rent a domestic car for personal use.

The value of Chase CSR is far beyond what you just said. To pool all the Chase URs, you need either CSR or CSP. And CSR's 1.5x UR multiplier is the floor for travel booking. You definitely need the CSR if you get a portfolio of several Freedom or Unlimited CCs. I'd gladly pay the $68 you mentioned. I do not even think that figure is correct.

linglingfool Oct 20, 2018 5:57 pm

I have the Schwab Plat (reduced fee) for airfare+lounge access, Gold for food, BBP for everyday, CSR for travel, and the Prestige (reduced fee) for fourth nights at hotels. Once I figure out what to do with my pile of UR, I'll probably ditch the CSR given the improved Gold benefits -- only thing I'm missing out on is an expanded travel category, but Prestige still gives 3x. Funny how quickly I went from considering getting rid of the Gold this year to looking to ditch the CSR. I've had pretty good luck with retention offers from AMEX and Citi, so I've had most of these cards for years with minimal out-of-pocket.

mia Oct 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool (Post 30337791)
.... missing out on is an expanded travel category, but Prestige still gives 3x. .....

Prestige only covers airfare, lodging and agency transactions. Citi Premier has a broader travel category than Chase, or if you want to stay with Chase INK Preferred has the same travel category as Sapphire Reserve, at a lower cost.

paperwastage Oct 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30337700)
The value of Chase CSR is far beyond what you just said. To pool all the Chase URs, you need either CSR or CSP. And CSR's 1.5x UR multiplier is the floor for travel booking. You definitely need the CSR if you get a portfolio of several Freedom or Unlimited CCs. I'd gladly pay the $68 you mentioned. I do not even think that figure is correct.

ink preferred works as a replacement to CSR (unless you eat in overseas restaurants a lot), if you have another card for PP

grocery category(4x) on gold is unique and game changer when you consider the effective AF ($30-$100+, depending how you discount the credits). other card would be EDP/BCP with a higher AF

travel/restaurant category is common to a lot of cards (uber, csr, gold, prestige/preferred etc), just need to pick and choose, and whether you want trip delay/cancellation protection

Diplomatico Oct 20, 2018 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30337700)

You can do the same with the CIP.

RedSun Oct 20, 2018 7:51 pm

I hear what you say. But I do not cut cards just because they are not the top earners.

CIP gives you 1.25x UR, not the CSR's 1.5X UR. They are not the same. For people having several UR cards, it makes difference.

mia Oct 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30338007)
....1.25x UR, not the CSR's 1.5X UR. They are not the same. For people having several UR cards, it makes difference.

Only if you redeem by Pay with Points. If you redeem by transferring to airline or hotel partners there is no difference.

RedSun Oct 21, 2018 7:05 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30338139)
Only if you redeem by Pay with Points. If you redeem by transferring to airline or hotel partners there is no difference.

Option always has value. I wouldn’t say the cards with 1.25x and 1.5x are the same.