Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 Has anyone actually received an Centurion Card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Has anyone actually received an Centurion Card invite?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fourstardust
I received an invite via post 2 weeks ago, my spend is nowhere near to the amounts which have been quoted here so I was extremely surprised. I spoke with the Centurion team, accepted the invitation and am now awaiting the arrival of the card which I am told takes around 4 weeks
i think the fact that your spend is "nowhere near to the amounts which have been quoted here" supports the argument that it's not just how much you spend but what you spend it on.
one could charge 100k/month at mcdonald's and not get an invite whereas someone who spends 10k/month at high-end hotels, flights in the front of the plane, and good restaurants might get an invite.

would you mind sharing what kinds of things your spend is on to corroborate or refute my theory?
LBCMonaco likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, KLM Flying Blue Gold, IHG Platinum, HIlton Diamond, Shangri-La Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by BenSenise
i think the fact that your spend is "nowhere near to the amounts which have been quoted here" supports the argument that it's not just how much you spend but what you spend it on.
one could charge 100k/month at mcdonald's and not get an invite whereas someone who spends 10k/month at high-end hotels, flights in the front of the plane, and good restaurants might get an invite.

would you mind sharing what kinds of things your spend is on to corroborate or refute my theory?
my spend is primarily on hotels, flights and restaurants - the majority at the 'high end' of the market and spread across the US, Europe and APAC. Prior to the invite I held a standard Platinum card (99% of spend was on this card) and an airline Gold card. As I said I am not spending 250k a year which is the most common number i see quoted here. I think it does matter where and what you are spending on - i have two friends who hold the card and have a similar spend pattern to myself but again not in the 250k plus range
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
It also matters hugely in which country the card is issued. Each country has its own Centurion product, with its own criteria. Based on the program membership listed in your profile, I'd guess you are based somewhere in Europe, whereas much of the chatter here is about the US card. Without knowing which country's Centurion product you're talking about, your data points have little meaning.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:36 pm
Suspended

my spend is primarily on hotels, flights and restaurants - the majority at the 'high end' of the market and spread across the US, Europe and APAC.
thanks. this would tend to support my theory.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
It also matters hugely in which country the card is issued. Each country has its own Centurion product, with its own criteria. Based on the program membership listed in your profile, I'd guess you are based somewhere in Europe, whereas much of the chatter here is about the US card. Without knowing which country's Centurion product you're talking about, your data points have little meaning.
+1 for this. It would be helpful to know what country along with the invitation.

I've spent well over 250k this year through AMEX FHR program/high end hotels and high end restaurants on a US based platinum.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

I received an invite via post 2 weeks ago, my spend is nowhere near to the amounts which have been quoted here so I was extremely surprised. I spoke with the Centurion team, accepted the invitation and am now awaiting the arrival of the card which I am told takes around 4 weeks
Was your invite for a US Centurion?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:59 pm

I used Platinum concierge for something last weekend and asked about the centurion requirements. They indicated that someone from the acquisitions team would be in contact this week to discuss, I'm currently awaiting their call.

I'm predominately interested in if there are better flight deals/options for Business / 1st over Platinum when travelling with the family.

I'll update based on wherever it gets to (I may just call them tomorrow to discuss). This isn't for a US account though
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by BenSenise

I posted last year about my experience getting a Centurion invite in the USA. In my case, I started with the green card back in 1986, and since then I've had a variety of products, the green was upgraded to gold, and eventually to platinum, but along the way I also had things like the Optima card back then, acquired the Delta Platinum cobranded card, etc., and had corporate green cards at various employers. My personal spend in recent years wasn't particularly high or high-end/luxury products other than fine dining sometimes. Personal travel was always in mid-tier Marriotts and Hiltons, and so on. Nothing nearly as remarkable as some of the spend described here by people who don't seem to get invites.

But the one consistent aspect of my tenure with Amex: I've never been late paying the bill, and I've been paying annual fees for a long time. Maybe they liked me for the Centurion for that reason? i.e., if I obtained it I'd reliably pay the yearly fee, plus the initiation fee, yet not impose much load on them.

Incidentally, I kept the invitation as a memento, but I didn't think about getting the card even for a second. The admission and maintenance fees are way too steep.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'm going to have to pay about $400k for estimated taxes in January for an investment return. If I put all that on my AMEX Platinum personal (at a cost of 1.87% extra), would be that sufficient to call in shortly after?
Or will Amex discount that spend because it's not luxury items?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by krazieman
I'm going to have to pay about $400k for estimated taxes in January for an investment return. If I put all that on my AMEX Platinum personal (at a cost of 1.87% extra), would be that sufficient to call in shortly after?
I don't know the answer to your question, but I am impressed that you are willing to spend $15,480 more to gain a Centurion in addition to the normal $10K initiation fee.

Of course, if your $400,000 is based upon capital gains tax, then go for it!

(My calculation is based upon your charge fee, plus the opportunity cost of not using a 2% back card).
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by 747FC
I don't know the answer to your question, but I am impressed that you are willing to spend $15,480 more to gain a Centurion in addition to the normal $10K initiation fee.
I believe that should read "in the hopes of obtaining a Centurion".

What I'm impressed by is how brilliantly successful AMEX's marketing has been to convince people to act to their detriment just to have some hope of getting a silly Centurion card.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
I believe that should read "in the hopes of obtaining a Centurion".

What I'm impressed by is how brilliantly successful AMEX's marketing has been to convince people to act to their detriment just to have some hope of getting a silly Centurion card.
so true
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC

Of course, if your $400,000 is based upon capital gains tax, then go for it!

(My calculation is based upon your charge fee, plus the opportunity cost of not using a 2% back card).
But I also get 415,000 MR points. If I use that wisely (e.g. transfer to Virgin Atlantic with bonuses and book on ANA First Class), that's good for 4 First class round trip tickets to Japan.
Statman, MrShyGuy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
But I also get 415,000 MR points. If I use that wisely (e.g. transfer to Virgin Atlantic with bonuses and book on ANA First Class), that's good for 4 First class round trip tickets to Japan.
That works for me. Enjoy it!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:11 pm

Why not get the Business Platinum to get 600K points (1.5X)? Would also help make the case for the Business Centurion vs. Personal, the former having more benefits, but I don't think American Express will give you the card for a one-time large charge. They want to see consistency for at least a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.