FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   2018 Has anyone actually received an Centurion Card invite? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1885700-2018-has-anyone-actually-received-centurion-card-invite.html)

SteveT Jan 1, 2018 5:59 pm

2018 Has anyone actually received an Centurion Card invite?

Starting 2018 Centurion invite thread.

2017 Thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2017-a-11.html

csesq Jan 3, 2018 11:52 am

Bye Bye Platinum

i called today to downgrade from Platinum to Gold Rewards - they transferred me - had me wait 15 minutes on hold - and then a quick easy switch. No retention fight - no questions- just a “fine” no problem. Didn’t even try to convince me - in any way. After over 30 years and mongo annual spending. Now I save over $500.00 a year and get more points. Even changed everyday preferred to regular everyday.

They really went down which is why I wanted Centurion (figured better) but as wasn’t happening figured I’d save the money and get the points.

** I did keep Platinum Business for the perks I use but nonsense to pay for two platinums.

Was actually very disappointing/disappointed. But should be better off with extra cash - same benefits and more points.

GNALUZU Jan 4, 2018 9:26 am

Originally Posted by csesq (Post 29245334)
i called today to downgrade from Platinum to Gold Rewards - they transferred me - had me wait 15 minutes on hold - and then a quick easy switch. No retention fight - no questions- just a “fine” no problem. Didn’t even try to convince me - in any way. After over 30 years and mongo annual spending. Now I save over $500.00 a year and get more points. Even changed everyday preferred to regular everyday.

They really went down which is why I wanted Centurion (figured better) but as wasn’t happening figured I’d save the money and get the points.

** I did keep Platinum Business for the perks I use but nonsense to pay for two platinums.

Was actually very disappointing/disappointed. But should be better off with extra cash - same benefits and more points.

Sorry if this seems rude, but how is this post related to the topic?

csesq Jan 4, 2018 10:16 am

Because I have been chasing Centurion for so long - spent high and asked. Figured losing a customer/high spender they would try to retain - or even reference Centurionwhich I had asked for before. They did nothing! Shows that they don’t seem to care anymore or even pretend to for cardholders - as we aspire to get higher tier

Frequent_Flyer1 Jan 4, 2018 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by csesq (Post 29249569)
Because I have been chasing Centurion for so long - spent high and asked. Figured losing a customer/high spender they would try to retain - or even reference Centurionwhich I had asked for before. [...]

May I ask what amount you charged to your Platinum card on an annual basis? Just to get a better understanding and put in relation.

mia Jan 4, 2018 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1 (Post 29250506)
May I ask ...

See this post from last year's thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27712340-post11.html

csesq Jan 4, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks Mia - yup and that was last year- so over 1 now as added another account - plus starting to do more on business platinum as they don’t report on credit and when I have so sign stuff doesn’t look like I have over $100,000.00 in debt. And get better perks. Just got it - also why killed personal platinum.

My point was - they didn’t - and acted like - just didn’t give a hoot.

mileschlinger Jan 4, 2018 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by csesq (Post 29251527)
Thanks Mia - yup and that was last year- so over 1 now as added another account - plus starting to do more on business platinum as they don’t report on credit and when I have so sign stuff doesn’t look like I have over $100,000.00 in debt. And get better perks. Just got it - also why killed personal platinum.

to get cent u need to be spending 500k to 1 M per month on your biz plat.

mileschlinger Jan 4, 2018 7:36 pm

couple other things- Mongo spend to Amex isn't even kinda close to 1m per year. Do 10x that then we can talk. Also most people who spend 1m on a personal card don't sweat a 500$ fee especially since Amex will waive it- every year! If your personal card dropped your credit that will x you off the list as well. If FICO isn't north of 815-820 forget about it.

mia Jan 4, 2018 8:20 pm

...over 1 now

If I understand you are reporting cumulative lifetime spending, while most other posters are reporting total spend in a single year. This may account for some confusion. Do you care to estimate the number of consecutive years spending $250,000+ ?

Originally Posted by mileschlinger (Post 29251677)

to get cent u need to be spending 500k to 1 M per month on your biz plat.

What is the source of this information?

mileschlinger Jan 4, 2018 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29251833)
If I understand you are reporting cumulative lifetime spending, while most other posters are reporting total spend in a single year. This may account for some confusion. Do you care to estimate the number of consecutive years spending $250,000+ ?

What is the source of this information?

ask any AMEX local rep and they will tell you 1 M per month- yes there are exceptions to the rule....but 1 M per year these days isnt close to cutting it.

csesq Jan 4, 2018 10:41 pm

Had the personal for 30 years. When Platinum was Platinum - now college kids get it! My solid high numbers over more than a decade (numbers were annual spend) . Wasn’t sweating fees (pay that for all cards). Was trying to highlight that they were non chalant when killed the account that was it - they were aloof. Also as Platinum went down - others have to and now there is competition.

So whike still no invitation - they also said hadn’t issued in 2917. Also they look at spend accross cards.

nyc2cal Jan 5, 2018 9:06 am

I think mileschlinger's assertion is probably accurate for the Business Centurion. I doubt $1M/month is required, more like a $5M/year run rate will do it from what I know, but his earlier post gave a range of $500K to $1M/month. The Personal version is, I'm sure, different (less), and I have no idea what it is. Like mileschlinger, the Business estimate is anecdotal and based on personal experience.

csesq, if you already have the Business Platinum, that could explain why no retention was attempted for the Personal…

I do disagree with mileschlinger on the FICO comment. I don't think they could care less if the score is over 815. I think mine was around that when I got it, but from what I know, if you qualify for Platinum credit score-wise, the Centurion is no problem. They will do a hard pull when they give it to you.

csesq Jan 5, 2018 10:34 am

I was wanting personal - only got this additional business a few months ago. Personal is with the history and high spend. All tied to profile. My score is high too Plus I had additionals that were Platinums. They made no effort. Like I said - they were aloof which I feel is bad because as products they have competitors and have gone down.

speculatus Jan 5, 2018 11:59 am

This is truly ridiculous.

From what we know, you should be *the perfect* candidate for Cent. 1MM monthly spend, decent %% on lux/travel.
People who reported here were getting an invite for by far less spend than yours and within much less timeframe.

If FICO is out of the equation... Any event(s) in the past that could make AMEX 'dislike' you? Missed/delayed payments, complains, MS, etc. - anything that might flag your account as 'troublesome'?