Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rookie with a question [BOS-LIS with AMEX MR]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Rookie with a question [BOS-LIS with AMEX MR]

Total newb with points so at the risk of being a free loader, I thought I'd ask the community if anyone had advice. I'm flying with my wide from Boston to Lisbon next June (24th - 30th) and wondering if I can get business class with points. I have 150,000 Amex points and would spend another $1,500 or so. I can book through Amex to get the economy seats for free, but was wondering if through some combination of cash and points I could manage to get business class without paying the full price ( about $7K total). If there's a service that can help figure this out, I'd love to know about it or any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @Philip McKeating.

Since it appears you're looking at using AMEX points, we'll move this to the AMEX forum for further discussion.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
We have a thread where folks offer their services to book award travel for you. See Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Generally, when booking with miles you cannot u/g with cash. There may be some excepts. Have you looked at booking through AMEX and not transferring points?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:50 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Philip McKeating
Total newb with points so at the risk of being a free loader, I thought I'd ask the community if anyone had advice. I'm flying with my wide from Boston to Lisbon next June (24th - 30th) and wondering if I can get business class with points. I have 150,000 Amex points and would spend another $1,500 or so. I can book through Amex to get the economy seats for free, but was wondering if through some combination of cash and points I could manage to get business class without paying the full price ( about $7K total). If there's a service that can help figure this out, I'd love to know about it or any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks for the help!
Economy is 40k rt on British Airways and Alaska Air. Business class is 65K on JAL or 80K on Pacific Cathy or Korean Air...Just transfer your points to those programs.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by t1c
Economy is 40k rt on British Airways and Alaska Air. Business class is 65K on JAL or 80K on Pacific Cathy or Korean Air...Just transfer your points to those programs.
I think you skipped the step where you find award space before transferring points.

Also, neither AS, JL, nor KE is an Amex transfer partner. They should not have been listed.

Finally, OP should note that Air Canada's Aeroplan and ANA (NH) are both AMEX transfer partners, and both offer excellent business class redemption rates to Europe. Way better, for example, than BA, where you'll pay exorbitant surcharges.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
As Kacee notes, BA Avios aren't great for trans-Atlantic as the chart is distance based and YQ is out of control. ANA has a great chart with the catch that you need to book a RT (which doesn't seem like an issue here). If you don't want to put the legwork into finding award space, transferring points, and booking, there are award booking services which are worth while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.