Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pending points on cancellation?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
should have switched to a no fee card and retained the points.

to late now,
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by satman40

to late now,
OP is talking about the loss of the pending points for the purchases they made prior to cancelling, not the loss of all the MR in their account.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by satman40

to late now,
i did retain all my points that was earned and posted
i do have other MR point card. im talking about the point that is in pending state earned by the card that i cancelled. i didnt realize the pending points will be forfeited.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:54 am

WIll pending pts be lost if card canceled...

I'm looking to cancel my Amex Gold card as the AF posted recently, but I still have a couple thousand pts pending from recent purchase. Does anyone know if I'll lose/forefeit those pts if I cancel now? Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Do you have another American Express card which earns Membership Rewards linked to the same rewards account?

I have merged in posts from previous discussions, and if you scroll back to late 2019 there is a report than pending points were lost.

Last edited by mia; Nov 17, 2020 at 11:18 am
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you have another American Express card which earns Membership Rewards linked to the same rewards account?

I have merged in posts from previous discussions, and if you scroll back to late 2019 there is a report than pending points were lost.
Hi Mia, yes, I have 2 other MR cards (EveryDay & Blue Bus. Plus) that are linked to same acct/log in. I've read all the above comments and they seem to share the same conclusion on the points already posted on my account (which I know I'll keep), however I am still not sure reading these previous posts on what happens to the pending MR pts by the time I cancel my acct (seems like mix results).
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:44 pm
mia

Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
....what happens to the pending MR pts by the time I cancel my acct (seems like mix results).
Pending points post sooner than they used to: New (2019) Membership Rewards Summary [Consolidated]

...because of the changes in the way American Express tracks and posts pending points I would give more weight to recent reports.

What is the date of the statement on which the annual fee appeared? If you haven't already, pay the entire balance now.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Pending points post sooner than they used to: New (2019) Membership Rewards Summary [Consolidated]

...because of the changes in the way American Express tracks and posts pending points I would give more weight to recent reports.

What is the date of the statement on which the annual fee appeared? If you haven't already, pay the entire balance now.
Hi Mia, the most recent statement had a Closing Date of 10/22/2020 with a Payment Due Date of 11/16/2020 of which I've already paid the full statement balance. However, I've since charged more on the card, which I can pay immediately now--but should I pay full amount less than the $250 AF amount or the total balance showing and let Amex refund me the $250 later? The AF posted on 10/22/2020--so I have until 11/21/2020 to cancel Gold Card and have $250 refunded--but that's canceling the card a day before the statement date of 11/22nd.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:28 pm
mia

Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
....I've since charged more on the card....
This does make the timing difficult. I don't think we will have data points specific enough to help. Have you considered requesting a retention offer and keeping the card for another year? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-offers.html
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This does make the timing difficult. I don't think we will have data points specific enough to help. Have you considered requesting a retention offer and keeping the card for another year? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-offers.html
Yes, the only retention offer they have is downgrading it to the Green card which isn't really a enticing offer. They alleged because I received a retention offer last year, they couldn't offer me another one this year. Oh well. The tough thing is I have 3,000 pending pts which comes out to $0.083 cents per dollar if I pay the $250 to retain the 3000 pts. I am considering paying for whole remaining balance and ask if they can post the pending pts sooner.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:32 pm

Bringing up this old thread: don't know if there's more recent discussion.

I've pretty much made the decision not to renew my Amex Gold, regardless of what retention offers they might have. The fee will post with the statement closing 4/20; another complication is that we're leaving on an overseas trip shortly after that.

I don't think I care to keep the MR points with the no-fee Everyday Card: I am a second user on my wife's card, I don't know if I can even get that card for myself as primary and we hardly use hers, and I don't think points can transfer between spouses' MR accounts.

I transferred most of my MR points out before the March closing date, so I think I will charge enough for my current and pending points to be just over a multiple of 1000 (probably next week), pay the full balance (including what won't be on a statement until 4/20), let the points post, transfer to a program of my choosing, and close the card. The Amex site has "Once we receive the minimum due payment, you can redeem points typically within 72 hours for a personal Card and after the next billing cycle ends for a corporate Card." Can I expect the plan to work, including getting points for charges paid off but not on a statement yet? As said earlier in this thread, albeit some years ago, I could ask if they'd post it without mentioning plans to close out the card. When it comes time to close the card, can I do it by online chat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.