FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Pending points on cancellation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1842571-pending-points-cancellation.html)

doctorjsh Dec 1, 2010 9:51 am

Canceled one card but still have the other - will I still get pending points?

I had two membership rewards AMEX cards, and just canceled one of them (gold). I still have the existing points since they are pooled with the points from my other Amex MR card. I was wondering if the pending points from the Gold card, from last months statement which was already paid in full, will still post to my MR account or if they will just show up as pending but never post?

mia Dec 1, 2010 9:54 am

They should post automatically, but I would write to customer service and ask to have them posted now because you have already paid the statement balance in full. No need to mention cancellation.

Harlem Apr 23, 2011 9:17 am

Pending MR points when I cancel

I have several AMEX cards and want to cancel one. There are a lot of "pending" MR points that haven't hit my account yet. If I cancel now will I lose those pending points?

bajrbajr Apr 23, 2011 10:37 am

I don't know if you will lose pending pts, but if you have paid the BALANCE DUE, call and ask that the "PENDING" points be made available now... then tomorrow cancel the card.

Harlem Apr 24, 2011 9:02 am

Good idea - thanks

dinosims Apr 24, 2011 11:57 am

They have always posted for me, even if that card is cancelled already. Recently even just had some bonus points that I'd forgotten about from a cancelled card post.

msp2msy Apr 25, 2011 5:36 am

Originally Posted by dinosims (Post 16272123)
They have always posted for me, even if that card is cancelled already. Recently even just had some bonus points that I'd forgotten about from a cancelled card post.

Closed my wife's only MR earning account last month with some points pending that slightly exceeded the advanced points. Immediately, the pending points disappeared and the advance was due. I got them to reinstate the pending points with a message however.

dinosims Apr 25, 2011 7:34 am

Well yeah, if you have only one MR account and you cancel it you'll lose all the points immediately, as per Amex's terms. But if you have other MR accounts and cancel one, the pending points will eventually post.

Fiumicino Apr 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi,

The points will still post even if the card has been cancelled. The points related to the cancelled card will however be shown as "UNKNOWN********1234" instead of e.g. "PLATINUM CARD*****1234". Same comment applies that you need to keep one MR-eligible account in order not to have your MR cancelled.

F

pat_pat_tong Jan 30, 2014 11:02 am

What to do with Amex Membership Rewards pending points before closing account

The annual fee of my platinum card is going to be due this weekend, and I have transferred all points out from it. Before I call in to cancel the card to avoid the annual fee, I have found out there are some pending points in the membership rewards account. I have already paid my final bill before the last statement posted (except $450 annual fee to be due this coming weekend), and I have 2 questions in my mind.

Q1. Can I ask them to accelerate and post the pending points today?
Q2. Would the acceleration cause any issue with the annual fee refund? I understand that the full annual fee will be refunded if cancelled before due date. Somehow I have read somewhere that using the card (or points acceleration) may screw that up, but I may not be right about that.

Thanks for your help in advance. :-)

OnTheRocks Jan 30, 2014 2:21 pm

What to do with Amex Membership Rewards pending points before closing account

As lng as you have paid off the charges amex is usually pretty good about posting the points if you call and ask. As for it affecting the annual fee I have no idea.

onthego15 Jan 30, 2014 5:31 pm

I believe that you can cancel a credit card up to 60 days after the annual fee posts. So, if you are worried about getting your points, you can just wait and cancel after the points post and after you transfer them out.

nall May 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Pending points on cancellation?

If I cancel a card while I still have another MR-earning card, I know all my MR points are safe. But what happens to pending points if I cancel an MR card?

allergictocoach May 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Well if you're me waiting on the 10k for signing up to the extended payment option on my gold in March and cancel on May 8th, you call in and AMEX tells you sorry they were going to post on May 10th.

Never had bonus points take the full 8 weeks or more to post so I didn't give it a thought until I realized they hadn't come in. I still have biz plat and blue card feeding my live MR account. Called the MR bonus department and it took them 40 minutes to reach the conclusion that I wasn't getting the points. Lady kept asking me what the required spend was lol. Deal was simply get accepted - get 10k. Supervisor couldn't even tell I was supposed to get a bonus of any kind....these are people whose job is to track BONUSES lol. I may have unintentionally hosed myself, but the clowns that AMEX has as CSR's these days makes me think I'm good with the Gold card cancellation. Company ain't what it used to be.

Stevenqdz Dec 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Cancelled card = forfeited "pending" points

cancelled gold card with no retention offer. but notice all my pending MR point gone missing afterward.
chatted with a Amex. was told that since i cancelled the card i forfeited all the pending points during that month. any one else had this happened to them?