Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK: Centurion Medallion Programme (250,000 annual spend on Centurion card)

UK: Centurion Medallion Programme (250,000 annual spend on Centurion card)

Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:03 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LHR
Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by YClass
Its checked March every year. So if your March 18 - March 19 spend is above the threshold you will get a white Medallion wax-sealed envelope in March saying you have qualified and welcome. Then you will start to get the Medallion mail outs and the semi-annual special events both via post and email from your Relationship Manager (and if you don't have one you will be assigned one). There is no guarantee that 250k is the threshold for next year but that is what it is today.
thanks y class, much appreciated. but why from the following March? Surely they should upgrade the account immediately? In theory, one could hit the 250k spend by the April of any particular year, meaning youd have to wait 11 months to start enjoying the additional benefits.

Also, having hit the 250k already, is there any point continuing to spend on the cent from now till next March?
camille55 is offline  
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:03 am
  #62  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Posts: 1,729
Originally Posted by camille55


thanks y class, much appreciated. but why from the following March? Surely they should upgrade the account immediately? In theory, one could hit the 250k spend by the April of any particular year, meaning youd have to wait 11 months to start enjoying the additional benefits.

Also, having hit the 250k already, is there any point continuing to spend on the cent from now till next March?
No idea why March-March, just what they decided to do. So you presumably have spent 250k between April and now so will qualify in March. The date probably aligns with some budgeting or year-ends etc. and allows them to know exactly how many members so can plan events etc. precisely. You are right, if you miss the test date, you wait for 11 months. But note its not rolling, just March through March spend. I suppose no reason to continue to use Cent, I do as I can't be bothered to split between more cards than Cent for MR and BA Prem+ for BA bookings and 241 etc. I use MC when Amex not accepted.
YClass is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:30 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LHR
Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by YClass
No idea why March-March, just what they decided to do. So you presumably have spent 250k between April and now so will qualify in March. The date probably aligns with some budgeting or year-ends etc. and allows them to know exactly how many members so can plan events etc. precisely. You are right, if you miss the test date, you wait for 11 months. But note its not rolling, just March through March spend. I suppose no reason to continue to use Cent, I do as I can't be bothered to split between more cards than Cent for MR and BA Prem+ for BA bookings and 241 etc. I use MC when Amex not accepted.
thanks YC. Yes, theyve confirmed Ill have to wait till March19 before availing medallion benefits, which will be till March20. I take your point re planning for events, etc but I can imagine there can be that many cardmembers you qualify well within the March-march year. The agent I spoke to followed up on my query to confirm they offer no additional benefit for further spend on cent....so Ill put the next 25k at least on my spg and the next 10k on the ba pp. they really ought to start offering double MRs beyond the 250kat the very least.
camille55 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:31 am
  #64  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Posts: 1,729
I have been reliably informed that the Medallion program is being closed down, so unfortunately you missed the boat. However if I were to guess, they will continue with a "high spender list" in the background and keep everything unknown..... So something similar but unofficial and unbranded. Will see how it plays out - not sure what it means, if anything, as it relates to being given a Relationship Manager etc. I.e. are they reverting Cent to a 1 tier card, or will it continue to have multiple unofficial tiers.

Last edited by YClass; Nov 23, 2018 at 4:36 am
YClass is offline  
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:17 am
  #65  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 49,001
Originally Posted by camille55
....
Also, having hit the 250k already, is there any point continuing to spend on the cent from now till next March?
Originally Posted by YClass
I have been reliably informed that the Medallion program is being closed down, so unfortunately you missed the boat. However if I were to guess, they will continue with a "high spender list" in the background and keep everything unknown..... .
I can see why an unpublished program would better serve American Express' interest. If there is no definite qualification threshold, there is no perceived incentive to stop spending at a specific level.
mia is offline  
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:22 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London | Sydney
Programs: LH HON, QF CLP1, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Dia, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,547
It was a disaster from the start. I applied for three events in the first year, literally the day the invitations arrived in the post, and was told for each one that the waitlist had already closed.

Infuriating and terrible customer experience, I would have rathered not get the invitations than be let down the day of receiving them.

Then this year there wasnt anything that interested me enough (or where the timing was right) to want to go. Theyd be better off discreetly inviting people through RMs rather than making high revenue customers angry with the brand.
vantage03 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:54 am
  #67  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Posts: 1,729
Originally Posted by vantage03
It was a disaster from the start. I applied for three events in the first year, literally the day the invitations arrived in the post, and was told for each one that the waitlist had already closed.

Infuriating and terrible customer experience, I would have rathered not get the invitations than be let down the day of receiving them.

Then this year there wasnt anything that interested me enough (or where the timing was right) to want to go. Theyd be better off discreetly inviting people through RMs rather than making high revenue customers angry with the brand.
This is probably the exact reason to stop it from the client side. Though I think the waitlist being closed was more to do with misinformation. I had my RM double check once and turned out phone agent had misinformed me. I presume you are Medallion too?

I was surprised when it launched that exact criteria were quoted etc. and the waitlist lottery wasn't great. I managed to make a handful of events however so it all kind of worked out but then again I have a fairly flexible schedule and I like a wide variety of things. I wasn't that disappointed overall (I don't think it was terrible), but yes tantalising with some PJ to south of France trip with only 12 seats wasn't great when clearly there are hundreds of clients to please, so it certainly could have been handled differently. At the end of the day its "free" stuff for us, so I suspect the bigger issue was that suddenly business partners only want to market to with Medallion clients and not the "standard" Cent etc which dilutes the product value.
YClass is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:42 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London | Sydney
Programs: LH HON, QF CLP1, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Dia, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,547
Originally Posted by YClass
I presume you are Medallion too?
Yes, not that I ever received any benefit for it lol...
vantage03 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:06 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: BA GGL CCR
Posts: 87
Just received a letter confirming medallion is being withdrawn as of February 2019
137677 is offline  
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:38 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Medallion discontinued - shock horror

I am here because as a stupid Centurion card holder, I just received a letter telling me Medallion programme had been discontinued, and I didn't have a clue what it was. But now I know, and also by reading some of the wonderful posts, realise there other stupid people like me who hang on to their black card. Actually, in fairness to myself, I have just about broken even on reward flights, which for some reason are by far the most efficient way of spending rewards points. Other than that, its just an ego thing. Shame really. It could be so much better.
DrJohnPaul is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.