Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK: Centurion Medallion Programme (£250,000 annual spend on Centurion card)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent

I suppose this is the place to post it, but it would seem there are now effectively three tiers of Centurion in the UK.

1) Standard Centurion, typically longer-term cardholders who received the card in early years and who pay the fee but aren't really up there in expenditure/usage anymore.
2) Second tier where one is given a Relationship Manager who personally deals with your account, has direct dial/e-mail and can handle all Concierge/CTS/Account related issues. Presumably at the current Cent qualifying spend level, somewhere around the £125k p.a. mark (note this excludes all other qualifying criteria only known to Amex).
3) Top tier Centurion Medallion Programme when you spend >£250k p.a. Brand new level so will see what it actually brings, but only Centurion Card expenditure qualifies, its tested once per year, and promises access to special events, shows etc.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is Centurion Card expenditure?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Is everyone getting it for the first year? Or only those with a verified quartermillion spend?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:21 pm
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
I got so excited when I read the cover letter, but upon further study, the Centurion Medallion Programme isn't what I had hoped for. Such a shame.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:23 pm
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What is Centurion Card expenditure?
Spend exclusively on your Centurion card, or linked direct supplementary cards. i.e. If you have a separate Platinum account too, spend on that does not count towards the threshold.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Missed JK's response...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deckard
Is everyone getting it for the first year? Or only those with a verified quartermillion spend?
I believe only those with verified spend tested once a year in March.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Stuff
Originally Posted by YClass
I believe only those with verified spend tested once a year in March.
Yep.

I'm in the first category now as my business travel spend has dropped significantly as the company I work for puts all my flights through a central charge, which sucks as I'd probably be well into medallion if it wasn't for that.. ;(
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Yup read the package now. It seems to be an effort to stop members spending on higher earning cards whilst paying for Centurion for the benefits. Several Cents I know use other cards (including Amex) for their main spend as the £1/1MR earning rate is so poor.

In any given month my Lloyds Amex/BAPP spend exceeds my Cent spend.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:09 am
JK

Originally Posted by Deckard
Yup read the package now. It seems to be an effort to stop members spending on higher earning cards whilst paying for Centurion for the benefits. Several Cents I know use other cards (including Amex) for their main spend as the £1/1MR earning rate is so poor.

In any given month my Lloyds Amex/BAPP spend exceeds my Cent spend.
It just doesn't make sense, does it? I can't understand why they're so against us having a decent earnings rate. I put mine on my SPG card.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Originally Posted by JK
It just doesn't make sense, does it? I can't understand why they're so against us having a decent earnings rate. I put mine on my SPG card.
So i got the pack this morning. I agree, makes no sense whatsoever. I too put a lot through my SPG.....but also use a BA Amex, wife's Gold PRG (double MR on airlines).....plus VS Black Amex & Emirates Amex (though admittedly, Amex can't see that).

I always thought the substantial Cent annual fee is how they made the rump of their money out of this product. That then unlocked an array of (ever dwindling!) benefits.

It appears their business model is the £2,2k gets you into 'the club'.....then they want to derive revenue from our spend out of only that club. Spend from other products doesn't count!

How bizarre. I always thought they looked at the entire relationship!?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Forgot to say Mr Mason, I did genuinely like the pack itself. In particular, the faux wax seal on the outside of the envelope! I'm not being sarcastic....I thought it looked cool!

I thought it would contain something of genuine value. Alas!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Virgin, BA
Centurion seems to focus on people with time to spare.
I have very little spare time

They say a Poor man spends his time saving money
a rich man spends his money saving time

I am in that second category - not a billionaire but certainly short on time

I am well past the £250K a year spend in my travel expenses but I see nothing in the new medallion service for me

I am way from home 20 days a month, usually USA every 3 weeks and then EU, Middle East and Australia (usually 2 or 3 countries every month).

come on Amex what have you got for me ?
I know concierge but I have an excellent Executive Assistant

I am ready for a better card with £100K monthly limit and some decent points.

any suggestions?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by academia salad
I am ready for a better card with £100K monthly limit and some decent points.
Switch to a green card. Buy the services you need elsewhere.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Originally Posted by camille55
Forgot to say Mr Mason, I did genuinely like the pack itself. In particular, the faux wax seal on the outside of the envelope! I'm not being sarcastic....I thought it looked cool!

I thought it would contain something of genuine value. Alas!
Beat me to it... I was about to comment that the best part of the invitation was that envelope with the wax seal :-)

Adey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.