FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832899-american-express-personal-platinum-usa-metal-card.html)

hyperzulu Mar 31, 2017 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by elkhornne (Post 28112483)
Mine is a replacement card. I don't care what it is made of. I'm leaving on a trip very soon and it was guaranteed to be delivered before I left. Now it's not.

Have you asked if they could speed through a plastic one?

miketravelparty Mar 31, 2017 2:30 pm

Metal Card Delivered

The metal card delivered today. Disappointed it doesn't have the contactless logo on the back. Same as described by points guy. No numbers on the front except years of being a member, security 4 code, full name laser etched in black. On the back, card number, security 3 code number, and expiration date laser etched.

elkhornne Mar 31, 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by hyperzulu (Post 28112602)
Have you asked if they could speed through a plastic one?

Yes I did and was told they are behind due to the metal card replacements. They can't guarantee a delivery date.

C W Mar 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by miketravelparty (Post 28112706)
The metal card delivered today. Disappointed it doesn't have the contactless logo on the back. Same as described by points guy. No numbers on the front except years of being a member, security 4 code, full name laser etched in black. On the back, card number, security 3 code number, and expiration date laser etched.

How's the weight? Is it metal surfaced or plastic surfaced like CSR/CSR?

Any pictures?

sriegert Mar 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by miketravelparty (Post 28112706)

pictures please!

although i expect a plethora from the bloggers any hour now :D

cplush Mar 31, 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by elkhornne (Post 28112027)
I was just told by a Rep that all who called in yesterday and was told they'd have the cards today will not get them. I said I wanted to cancel my card and was told by the retention department it would be here tomorrow. I really doubt it, but will give them 24 hours.

yeah, i called at 9:30 am and the website/rep said i'd get it today but i never got a tracking #

Nicksta Mar 31, 2017 3:39 pm

Called customer service and they said expect the new card to be delayed by at least a week.

mackguyver Mar 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Nicksta (Post 28112972)
Called customer service and they said expect the new card to be delayed by at least a week.

And all this for another $100 a year. Good job anticipating demand, AMEX.

miketravelparty Mar 31, 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by C W (Post 28112906)
How's the weight? Is it metal surfaced or plastic surfaced like CSR/CSR?

Any pictures?

I tried to take pictures but they are turning out just like the ones on the web. The thing that the pictures don't show is that the metal is not flat. It has ridges and valleys. You can feel the amex logo, the soldier's face and different impressions of the ink. It does feel heavy but I used my wife's old letter scale and it shows about under an oz but the scale is 41 years old.

It feels thicker than the plastic card but side by side to the plastic it's the same thickness. You can bend it if you wanted to but does need more effort than the plastic one and after awhile, the plastic one feels so flimsy after handling the metal one for even only a few minutes. It does reflect light but not much. The card looks lighter grey in bright light and darker grey in darker light.

The back is smooth except for the laser engravings of the card number and security code.

They also provide a heavy paper return envelope if you are replacing a metal card for disposal. The new metal card envelope didn't have much except the return envelope, the letter the metal card is attached to and a terms and condition sheet.

geoffk Mar 31, 2017 4:28 pm

no card delivered, no notification why. did online chat with amex and the guy said i should have it within 5 days... if they did not even ship it, they could have atleast sent me an email. the website still says expected today. pretty poor rollout for a "premium" card

GlobalServiced Mar 31, 2017 5:32 pm

Spoke with CSR and she said that all of the cards are delayed by 5 days due to overwhelming demand, regardless of the carrier that delivers it.

Was told I'd have mine by Friday, April 7.

JHake10 Mar 31, 2017 5:40 pm

Called AMEX on March 30th to request a replacement card. My magnetic strip doesn't work all the time (only seems to be an issue with AMEX). CSR says "call back tomorrow as we are giving out the metal cards". Called back the next day, CSR says he send one out. Notice the CSR did it via the slow method and not UPS overnight (based on email confirmation I got later). Now I login and the website says my card is delayed with no new ETA.

Does AMEX not want people spending money on their cards? :mad:

I'll just put all my spend on my chase sapphire reserve I guess

SP03 Mar 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sintaku (Post 28112543)
Wow, calling from the app was near instant and didn't even require any authentication.

I'm actually really liking the faster pickup and response times for amex now. Loving the app as well.

Agreed. I was very impressed by how easy and quick the new contact options are from within the app.

WantsAmex Mar 31, 2017 6:28 pm

for those looking for pics, heres an "unboxing" vid:

krazykanuck Mar 31, 2017 9:37 pm

The unboxing video makes it look pretty nice. Looking forward to a new piece of wallet candy, since the Plat still isn't a great card to actually put much of my spend on :p