FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832899-american-express-personal-platinum-usa-metal-card.html)

Gunner14 Mar 30, 2017 7:35 am

Originally Posted by geoffk (Post 28105924)
I put my request in 8:10EST
you have to go under card management > request replacement card.
it asks why you want a replacement and "metal card" is an option

it gave me 2 shipping options, both $0 one arrive by april 4th and another by march 31st so i selected tomorrow :)

Weird - 'Metal Card' is not an option for me. I just did 'Damaged Card'.

mia Mar 30, 2017 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Gunner14 (Post 28106198)
Weird - 'Metal Card' is not an option for me. I just did 'Damaged Card'.

Does your current card have the contactless feature?

Gunner14 Mar 30, 2017 8:10 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28106277)
Does your current card have the contactless feature?

It does

mia Mar 30, 2017 8:17 am

Ms mia's personal Platinum card also has the Contactless feature, and also does not show the online option to order a metal card. Based on this sample of two I predict that you will receive another plastic card, with Contactless, and that the only way to switch to a metal card will be to call and opt out of Contactless. This seems to be further evidence that Contactless will not be available on the metal cards.

davidgrahammd Mar 30, 2017 8:17 am

I just ordered online and "metal card" was an option for me. It is being sent UPS next day at no charge

s0ju Mar 30, 2017 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ehuang03 (Post 28105285)
Just got off the phone also with a rep and she told me we could request the metal card starting at 9 am EST. I'm chatting with a customer rep online now and asked if I could request the metal card now. After a few security questions, he processed it fine.

Also, make sure to tell them to next day air it if you want the card ASAP. The rep sent mines via USPS and when I asked about it, he says he can't change it since he already submitted it. He didn't even ask me what shipping method I want. I've always been asked if I wanted it via UPSP or UPS.

Just wanted to update this. For anyone who did it yesterday like myself. I just called the rep to see if they could expedite it and she told me, the one I'll be getting is a plastic one. She mentioned to me that the system wouldn't let them do metal replacements until today, so the online chat reps who did it yesterday are sending out plastic cards. So The service rep over the phone went ahead and processed a metal card for me and I'll be getting that tomorrow. Luckily I called this morning.

Gunner14 Mar 30, 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28106372)
Ms mia's personal Platinum card also has the Contactless feature, and also does not show the online option to order a metal card. Based on this sample of two I predict that you will receive another plastic card, with Contactless, and that the only way to switch to a metal card will be to call and opt out of Contactless. This seems to be further evidence that Contactless will not be available on the metal cards.

Bleh

rynbmw Mar 30, 2017 8:33 am

Originally Posted by davidgrahammd (Post 28106373)
I just ordered online and "metal card" was an option for me. It is being sent UPS next day at no charge

where did you see that option when ordering a replacement for a damaged card?

i don't see one

WantsAmex Mar 30, 2017 8:39 am

You don't have the option to explicitly say you want the card to be metal. By requesting a replacement card, they send metal by default (per CR rep I spoke to)

mia Mar 30, 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by geoffk (Post 28105924)
...card management > request replacement card.
it asks why you want a replacement and "metal card" is an option

Originally Posted by davidgrahammd (Post 28106373)
I just ordered online and "metal card" was an option for me.

Originally Posted by WantsAmex (Post 28106471)
You don't have the option to explicitly say you want the card to be metal. By requesting a replacement card, they send metal by default (per CR rep I spoke to)

We have two reports that metal card is an explicit online option. Regardless of what a CSR states, I expect that if you don't see it offered, you will receive plastic.

dw Mar 30, 2017 9:13 am

I ordered mine online this morning and for my account, there was a single combined option for Damaged Card / Metal Card.

krazykanuck Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am

Tried to order mine online when I got to work, but you need the 3 digit security code off the back, and as usual when I'm not traveling, my Platinum card is resting comfortably in my credit card stack at home. Guess it'll have to wait until I get home.

MusicMan216 Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am

Called about 30 minutes ago, because I needed the metal card shipped to a different US Address than my billing. Was told that because they're overwhelmed, the card could not be shipped overnight, and could only be send First Class Mail. Card should arrive by end of next week.

gregsfortytwo Mar 30, 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28106498)
We have two reports that metal card is an explicit online option. Regardless of what a CSR states, I expect that if you don't see it offered, you will receive plastic.

Despite earlier reports I've also noticed several co-brand people report they lack the "metal card" option and I haven't seen any explicit DPs that co-brands are getting it. I wonder if they aren't prepared for the extra printing so those aren't available yet.

tmiw Mar 30, 2017 9:40 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28106372)

Sounds like the expected demand may have been too low to make it worthwhile to have a separate line just for metal contactless cards. I'd almost go as far as to say that contactless for US AmEx cards in general is only worth the trouble for them because of the aggregate demand across all of their cards; metal is apparently desired by consumers way more considering the posts here about them being "overwhelmed".