FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832899-american-express-personal-platinum-usa-metal-card.html)

seaflyer92 Mar 30, 2017 12:22 am

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Just got off the phone with CS from AMEX. Asked if the metal card will be contactless and they said it is not. Also, their replacement card system has crashed so they are unable to issue any new cards at this time, no word on when it will be back up.

s0ju Mar 30, 2017 12:41 am

Just got off the phone also with a rep and she told me we could request the metal card starting at 9 am EST. I'm chatting with a customer rep online now and asked if I could request the metal card now. After a few security questions, he processed it fine.

Also, make sure to tell them to next day air it if you want the card ASAP. The rep sent mines via USPS and when I asked about it, he says he can't change it since he already submitted it. He didn't even ask me what shipping method I want. I've always been asked if I wanted it via UPSP or UPS.

C W Mar 30, 2017 2:42 am

American Express Platinum (USA) metal card

I figured I would create a thread outside the new benefits megathread for reports on getting the new metal card.

It is reportedly made from stainless steel and falls between a Chase Sapphire and a Ritz-Carleton Rewards card in terms of weight.

The only photos so far seem to have been posted by tpg.

I requested a new card a few minutes ago and was informed that it would arrive to my home in Germany on April 4. Surely those having the cards shipped within the US will receive them much sooner.

I'm sure that many don't care about the new card, but for those that do, share your experiences requesting and getting the new card, and hopefully some photos and impressions over the next few days.

EDIT: Looks like cards sent within the US are arriving as early as 31 March (VFTW).

zug152 Mar 30, 2017 5:04 am

Originally Posted by C W (Post 28105519)
I figured I would create a thread outside the new benefits megathread for reports on getting the new metal card.

It is reportedly made from stainless steel and falls between a Chase Sapphire and a Ritz-Carleton Rewards card in terms of weight.

The only photos so far seem to have been posted by tpg.

I requested a new card a few minutes ago and was informed that it would arrive to my home in Germany on April 4. Surely those having the cards shipped within the US will receive them much sooner.

I'm sure that many don't care about the new card, but for those that do, share your experiences requesting and getting the new card, and hopefully some photos and impressions over the next few days.

I requested mine a few hours ago. It will be here Friday or Monday. I had to wait a few minutes to get someone on the phone. Other than that very quick and easy process.

C W Mar 30, 2017 5:20 am

Originally Posted by zug152 (Post 28105776)
I requested mine a few hours ago. It will be here Friday or Monday. I had to wait a few minutes to get someone on the phone. Other than that very quick and easy process.

I had a bit longer wait than usual as well. I wonder if it's because a lot of people are actually requesting it or if it's just because we're calling in the middle of the night :p

SpootyPuff Mar 30, 2017 5:38 am

odd: just got off the phone with them and they said it will be ready by at least 7pm eastern and to call back then or do it online; there should be an option for a metal card in Card Management.

I'm on eastern time if that makes a difference.

C W Mar 30, 2017 5:42 am

Originally Posted by SpootyPuff (Post 28105850)
odd: just got off the phone with them and they said it will be ready by at least 7pm eastern and to call back then or do it online; there should be an option for a metal card in Card Management.

I'm on eastern time if that makes a difference.

Very strange. Despite the fact that I live in Germany, my card is US-issued and I called the US service number. Would have been around 3am ET. Had no problems at all. If you see the link in my original post Gary Leff had no problem requesting a card either.

Maybe you should just call back right away. You could always have gotten a misinformed agent.

SpootyPuff Mar 30, 2017 5:48 am

Originally Posted by C W (Post 28105860)
Very strange. Despite the fact that I live in Germany, my card is US-issued and I called the US service number. Would have been around 3am ET. Had no problems at all. If you see the link in my original post Gary Leff had no problem requesting a card either.

Maybe you should just call back right away. You could always have gotten a misinformed agent.

Curious, are you able to see the option to request for a metal card in your online account? I don't see that option for me.

I waited 20min to get an agent... I'm assuming maybe the huge influx of requests was much bigger than they anticipated that they needed to pull it out for some reason and putting it back up in a few hours - thats just my assumption though.

I used to work for a top commercial bank and when they rolled something huge for their online banking, .... would hit the fan and they retract it for a few hours to make changes before rolling it back out.

I'll try again here in a bit on my way to work - I've got a +/-20min commute so it's perfect.

geoffk Mar 30, 2017 6:14 am

Originally Posted by SpootyPuff (Post 28105877)
Curious, are you able to see the option to request for a metal card in your online account? I don't see that option for me.

I waited 20min to get an agent... I'm assuming maybe the huge influx of requests was much bigger than they anticipated that they needed to pull it out for some reason and putting it back up in a few hours - thats just my assumption though.

I used to work for a top commercial bank and when they rolled something huge for their online banking, .... would hit the fan and they retract it for a few hours to make changes before rolling it back out.

I'll try again here in a bit on my way to work - I've got a +/-20min commute so it's perfect.

I put my request in 8:10EST
you have to go under card management > request replacement card.
it asks why you want a replacement and "metal card" is an option

it gave me 2 shipping options, both $0 one arrive by april 4th and another by march 31st so i selected tomorrow :)

C W Mar 30, 2017 6:15 am

Originally Posted by SpootyPuff (Post 28105877)

I can't see a request option. I can see that it was requested, however. Perhaps that's why a request option is not available for me.

miketravelparty Mar 30, 2017 6:19 am

Contactless Feature Unknown

I requested a metal card via chat and throughout the process, I kept saying metal chip with contactless. Very frustrating after being told everything is OK that one final confirmation and they couldn't say if it's contactless. I guess I'll call to confirm later today or find out in the mail on the 31st. Does anyone know if this feature is available

mia Mar 30, 2017 6:22 am

Originally Posted by miketravelparty (Post 28105947)
...Does anyone know if this feature is available

No one will really know until they have the card in their hand. It can take multiple requests to obtain a plastic contactless card from American Express, so even if they tell you that's what they are shipping I wouldn't have confidence.

SpootyPuff Mar 30, 2017 6:34 am

Called back again and got another agent who processed it with no hiccups and I also only waited 1 minute versus the 20min earlier.

She did confirm that the systems were down earlier and they were instructed to give customers a couple hours estimate for those requesting the metal card.

bmms8 Mar 30, 2017 6:47 am

Originally Posted by geoffk (Post 28105924)

it gave me 2 shipping options, both $0 one arrive by april 4th and another by march 31st so i selected tomorrow :)

Thanks!

GlobalServiced Mar 30, 2017 7:25 am

Just got off the phone with Amex.

Total call time took 9 minutes, with the card being expedited via UPS arriving tomorrow.

Rep said call volume for the metal card was unexpectedly high, but I didn't have any issues!

Gunner14 Mar 30, 2017 7:35 am

Weird - 'Metal Card' is not an option for me. I just did 'Damaged Card'.

mia Mar 30, 2017 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Gunner14 (Post 28106198)
Weird - 'Metal Card' is not an option for me. I just did 'Damaged Card'.

Does your current card have the contactless feature?

Gunner14 Mar 30, 2017 8:10 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28106277)
Does your current card have the contactless feature?

It does

mia Mar 30, 2017 8:17 am

Ms mia's personal Platinum card also has the Contactless feature, and also does not show the online option to order a metal card. Based on this sample of two I predict that you will receive another plastic card, with Contactless, and that the only way to switch to a metal card will be to call and opt out of Contactless. This seems to be further evidence that Contactless will not be available on the metal cards.

davidgrahammd Mar 30, 2017 8:17 am

I just ordered online and "metal card" was an option for me. It is being sent UPS next day at no charge

s0ju Mar 30, 2017 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ehuang03 (Post 28105285)
Just got off the phone also with a rep and she told me we could request the metal card starting at 9 am EST. I'm chatting with a customer rep online now and asked if I could request the metal card now. After a few security questions, he processed it fine.

Also, make sure to tell them to next day air it if you want the card ASAP. The rep sent mines via USPS and when I asked about it, he says he can't change it since he already submitted it. He didn't even ask me what shipping method I want. I've always been asked if I wanted it via UPSP or UPS.

Just wanted to update this. For anyone who did it yesterday like myself. I just called the rep to see if they could expedite it and she told me, the one I'll be getting is a plastic one. She mentioned to me that the system wouldn't let them do metal replacements until today, so the online chat reps who did it yesterday are sending out plastic cards. So The service rep over the phone went ahead and processed a metal card for me and I'll be getting that tomorrow. Luckily I called this morning.

Gunner14 Mar 30, 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28106372)
Ms mia's personal Platinum card also has the Contactless feature, and also does not show the online option to order a metal card. Based on this sample of two I predict that you will receive another plastic card, with Contactless, and that the only way to switch to a metal card will be to call and opt out of Contactless. This seems to be further evidence that Contactless will not be available on the metal cards.

Bleh

rynbmw Mar 30, 2017 8:33 am

Originally Posted by davidgrahammd (Post 28106373)
I just ordered online and "metal card" was an option for me. It is being sent UPS next day at no charge

where did you see that option when ordering a replacement for a damaged card?

i don't see one

WantsAmex Mar 30, 2017 8:39 am

You don't have the option to explicitly say you want the card to be metal. By requesting a replacement card, they send metal by default (per CR rep I spoke to)

mia Mar 30, 2017 8:43 am

...card management > request replacement card.

Originally Posted by davidgrahammd (Post 28106373)
I just ordered online and "metal card" was an option for me.

Originally Posted by WantsAmex (Post 28106471)
You don't have the option to explicitly say you want the card to be metal. By requesting a replacement card, they send metal by default (per CR rep I spoke to)

We have two reports that metal card is an explicit online option. Regardless of what a CSR states, I expect that if you don't see it offered, you will receive plastic.

dw Mar 30, 2017 9:13 am

I ordered mine online this morning and for my account, there was a single combined option for Damaged Card / Metal Card.

krazykanuck Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am

Tried to order mine online when I got to work, but you need the 3 digit security code off the back, and as usual when I'm not traveling, my Platinum card is resting comfortably in my credit card stack at home. Guess it'll have to wait until I get home.

MusicMan216 Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am

Called about 30 minutes ago, because I needed the metal card shipped to a different US Address than my billing. Was told that because they're overwhelmed, the card could not be shipped overnight, and could only be send First Class Mail. Card should arrive by end of next week.

gregsfortytwo Mar 30, 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28106498)
We have two reports that metal card is an explicit online option. Regardless of what a CSR states, I expect that if you don't see it offered, you will receive plastic.

Despite earlier reports I've also noticed several co-brand people report they lack the "metal card" option and I haven't seen any explicit DPs that co-brands are getting it. I wonder if they aren't prepared for the extra printing so those aren't available yet.

tmiw Mar 30, 2017 9:40 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28106372)

Sounds like the expected demand may have been too low to make it worthwhile to have a separate line just for metal contactless cards. I'd almost go as far as to say that contactless for US AmEx cards in general is only worth the trouble for them because of the aggregate demand across all of their cards; metal is apparently desired by consumers way more considering the posts here about them being "overwhelmed".

radiolarian Mar 30, 2017 10:22 am

Cool- thanks.

Just submitted the metal card request using your steps. Should arrive UPS next day air tomorrow.

MrShyGuy Mar 30, 2017 10:35 am

I have a contactless card, but online it showed me replace with a metal card which I submitted.

I should have it tomorrow (Mar 31) and will report if it is contactless or even metal :P

aquafish Mar 30, 2017 10:55 am

Same, just called AMEX via number on back of card.

Requested to speak with representative for "metal card."

Rep asked for 3 numbers on the back of card, and told me they would ship with arrival by next Monday. I've been doing fine with the old card for 5 years...don't see any reason why I needed to request for expedited shipping. All good here!

S.R Mar 30, 2017 11:10 am

Does the business card come in metal as well?

Explorer789 Mar 30, 2017 11:11 am

Originally Posted by radiolarian (Post 28106897)
Cool- thanks.

Just submitted the metal card request using your steps. Should arrive UPS next day air tomorrow.

Same. I requested expedited as well just because I can for free.

chenalex Mar 30, 2017 12:22 pm

I called into Amex on a different issue and the agent told me, without prompting, about the metal card and asked if I wanted it. He said he could overnight it, but due to high demand, it'll either ship out today or tomorrow. Not in a hurry to get it, but curious to see it.

Edit: Just got an email saying expected arrival 3/31/07

Aaron01 Mar 30, 2017 1:30 pm

My card doesn't have contactless, but I didn't have the online option for requesting a metal card. I called in and the robot gave me that as one of the options, it's going to be sent regular mail, there didn't appear to be an option to ask for next day.

dw Mar 30, 2017 1:42 pm

FYI-- Oddly, even though I specified USPS as the delivery method when making my request online (I'd rather have it put in my mailbox than left out by UPS or FedEx while I am at work), my method of shipment reflects:

Shipping Method
FEDEX Standard - PM Delivery

(Though with the non-expedited estimated delivery date of 4/4)

Oformula Mar 30, 2017 5:29 pm

The metal option wasn't showing up online, so I tried secure chat. Turns out they can only send cards to the billing address. Gave the phone number a ring and was able to have my replacement metal card sent to my current location. It should arrive via FedEx on Monday.

hyperzulu Mar 30, 2017 5:33 pm

I got the MBZ card last week. No option to get a replacement card until 10 days from issuance of the original. So it looks like I'll have to wait until 4/03 to request it. I still have the standard Platinum which I was able to get switched from the website (desktop version only).