FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832025-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit-2017-2019-a.html)

stc Apr 27, 2019 8:05 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM (Post 31041887)
From the Amex terms and conditions:
"Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders."

OK, I stand corrected about that.

gooselee Apr 27, 2019 10:59 am

Originally Posted by stc (Post 31037670)
I have never had a problem with my $15 getting used in a month I used Uber. Knock on wood. But, then again, I don't try to game the system.

Same here. Use it every month with no issues. My rides and eats are almost always over $15. If the credit is there, it gets used up and the remainder is charged to my CC. Easy.

gengar Apr 27, 2019 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 31033957)
I normally use Uber 6-7 times a month and have the payment method set to Uber Cash. The Amex credit is always the FIRST credit listed (and first to be used) when I click on the breakdown of amounts stored in my Uber Cash account.

Just as a data point, this is how it worked for me, every month - until this month. This month, Uber started charging my CC first and left the Uber cash untouched. It was a while before I noticed it. I had to select the Uber cash manually. Deleting payment methods and re-adding them didn't help. We'll see what happens on May 1st.

I typically assume incompetence rather than malice, but with Uber, it's always hard to tell.

scubadu Apr 28, 2019 6:07 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31042868)
Same here. Use it every month with no issues. My rides and eats are almost always over $15. If the credit is there, it gets used up and the remainder is charged to my CC. Easy.

Same. Have literally never had any problem using the credit since the program began. Always a little perplexed by the chaos constantly popping up in this thread.

Regards

gengar Apr 28, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 31045060)
Always a little perplexed by the chaos constantly popping up in this thread.

Why? Do you think everyone is lying?

dhuey Apr 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 31045060)
Same. Have literally never had any problem using the credit since the program began. Always a little perplexed by the chaos constantly popping up in this thread.

Regards

Blame Uber for that chaos, not those of us who have had to deal with it.

Kacee Apr 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 31041590)
My rides are also to / from the airport and exceed the $15. Without fail, the first ride of the month the $15 gets deducted.

When did you last do this? Because Uber has recently begun blocking split payments using the AMEX credit, such that you can only use it on a fare $15 or less.

They are also overriding default payment method (most recently to Apple Pay), which is another method to prevent you from using the payment.

Finally, they have been offering discounts on all payment methods except the AMEX credit, which means you may pay up to 20% more in order to make use of the credit.

Or maybe you just haven't noticed any of this?

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 31042948)
I typically assume incompetence rather than malice, but with Uber, it's always hard to tell.

Given the variety of roadblocks UBER is imposing (see above), I have no doubt whatsoever this is deliberate.

Thunderroad Apr 28, 2019 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31047257)
When did you last do this? Because Uber has recently begun blocking split payments using the AMEX credit, such that you can only use it on a fare $15 or less.

They are also overriding default payment method (most recently to Apple Pay), which is another method to prevent you from using the payment.

Finally, they have been offering discounts on all payment methods except the AMEX credit, which means you may pay up to 20% more in order to make use of the credit.

Given the variety of roadblocks UBER is imposing (see above), I have no doubt whatsoever this is deliberate.

I don't doubt at all what you're saying, but do you know when this policy started? I used Uber earlier this month and it seemed like I got the $15 credit.

stc Apr 28, 2019 10:30 pm

I last used Uber on Thursday 4/25 which was the first time in April. It was to the Airport in Boston. It worked perfectly:

Total$28.47https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/[email protected]$15.00 of your Amex Benefit has been applied to this trip.Trip Fare$21.72Subtotal$21.72Tolls, Surcharges, and Fees https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/pr...n_15x15_2x.png$6.45Wait Time https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/pr...n_15x15_2x.png$0.30Amount Chargedhttps://ci6.googleusercontent.com/[email protected]Uber Cash$15.00https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/[email protected]•••• 1001$13.47

Sadly, FlyerTalk messed up the formatting on that. And by perfectly, I mean other than the driver stopping at the wrong house so I had to walk to his car which probably caused the wait time and the conversation straying into some things he shouldn't have asked.

MaxVO Apr 28, 2019 11:27 pm

When reporting the behavior of the Uber app, perhaps we should also consider the following:
1. When the app was last updated, if it's at all possible to determine.
2. The version of the device operating system (Android x.x, iOS, etc).
It's possible that only certain editions of the app contain the malicious programming.

747FC Apr 29, 2019 12:16 am

I used Uber last weekend, and it flawlessly performed its disbursement hierarchy. I had been alerted to a potential problem with this issue through this thread, and monitored it.

So, I think we can conclude that while there may be some issues with the hierarchy, they are not universal.

scubadu Apr 29, 2019 4:58 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 31045968)
Why? Do you think everyone is lying?

Yes, I think everyone in this thread is lying. :rolleyes:

Good grief, no I don't think everyone in this thread is lying. That is a rather melodramatic response to my comment and I don't believe I implied that at all. I did say I found it perplexing. Not sure what dictionary you use, but I don't think in any is "perplexing" a synonym for "everyone is lying." Furthermore, I'm hardly the only one in this thread who has stated they haven't had problems, I literally was replying to someone else who said they haven't had problems.

Regards

Kacee Apr 29, 2019 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 31047306)
I don't doubt at all what you're saying, but do you know when this policy started?

It's been jumping around. I was unable to use my March credit because all my trips were over $15 and the app wouldn't let me apply the credit to them. I was able to use it in April on shorter trips. The discount for non-AMEX payment methods has been sporadic. The default payment overriding I just noticed last week and it was still in play last night. It's very difficult to correct, you have to back all the way out of your trip.

I would suggest that Uber is beta testing various ways of blocking use of the AMEX credit. Those who have not yet experienced one of them should consider themselves very lucky, as I've experienced each of these three. There may well be more.

bgriff Apr 29, 2019 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31048439)
I would suggest that Uber is beta testing various ways of blocking use of the AMEX credit. Those who have not yet experienced one of them should consider themselves very lucky, as I've experienced each of these three. There may well be more.

I think this is definitely true. I have 2 iPhones (one personal and one work) and am signed into the same Uber account on both, and I've noticed that the treatment of the Amex credit, as well as various other small features of the app, are often different between the two phones even at the same time.

blaz Apr 29, 2019 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31048439)
It's been jumping around.

I can confirm your observation, as I have experienced the same. One day in March, the app didn't let me charge more than $15 (the Amex credit, I had no other cash credit) and was forcing me to preload more cash if I wanted to use Uber Cash. The very next day, everything worked as expected. The Uber app has not been updated between those two rides. Clearly the change must then be on the backend. I also support the notion that this is a test. I also note that Kacee and myself are both in the SF Bay Area, which might have something to do with it...