FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832025-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit-2017-2019-a.html)

Statman Feb 27, 2019 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 30826336)
My friend (also with a Plat card) has found that his UE is now charging a a 10% service fee in addition to a booking fee. This isn't something I have on my account, but we both did a sample order today - the office address, same restaurant and same entree. Both had the same entree price, but my order had only a $3.99 fee, he had $2.99 + 10% fee. He's on the latest version of the iOS app, I'm on a slightly older Android version.

Some searching is finding this is a "YMMV" situation, but since I'm sometimes already paying 1/2 my $15 credit to delivery, I'll be bummed if it gets further devalued.

If you are ordering via UberEats just to burn the credit, there is an easy way to roll over the credit if you intend to use regular Uber in the upcoming months.

Not going to post it here for fear of Uber/Amex shutting down the loophole, but feel free to PM me.

acarney Feb 27, 2019 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 30826886)
This wouldn't be a devaluation of the Amex benefit so much as a weird/different move by Uber. OTOH if your order was under $10 you'd actually be coming out ahead in the situation you describe.

I haven't noticed a change in fees on my UE and have just been letting my Android app auto-update. Will need to look closer the next time I order.

I forget where I read it, but it was mentioned a couple weeks ago that Uber was testing separate service fee of 10% AND a $2 surcharge for orders under $10. Now I originally thought the delivery fees would remain the same (where I live mostly $5.49 to $8.49) and these would be on top of that. Potentially making a $8.99 order have a $8.39 to $11.39 service fee on it!! I certainly won’t be tipping any more if fees really go up. (Man I wish Uber never caved to the tipping demand, I loved the idea of the service having one up front fee).

Now it looks like maybe they’ll lower the delivery fee and instead add that 10% service charge. Maybe they think they can get more out of people basing the service cost not on distance but instead on amount ordered. This might actually be a win for people that order from distant restaurants but low amount, like Amex credits. I often order some sushi, the closest place is a $8.49 fee but I usually order $12 to $20 of food. So if that fee was lowered to less then $5 + 10%, it’ll actually be cheaper for me. But if a family ordered $50 of food, that delivery would be more expensive for them rather then the $8.49 fee.

Either way, Uber is getting expensive. I don’t use them for anything but burning Amex credits. So I’m turning into that ....... that doesn’t tip and doesn’t order much. If I could roll over even one months credits I probably would order $15 to $18 of food and use the rest on service and tip, but I’m not really looking to spend out of pocket to use this credit up.

Majuki Feb 28, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 30827910)
If you are ordering via UberEats just to burn the credit, there is an easy way to roll over the credit if you intend to use regular Uber in the upcoming months.

I can verify that this works:

http://i.imgur.com/484GQpim.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uwYmeQtm.jpg

SkyTeam777 Mar 3, 2019 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 30814132)
For January and February, Uber is not charging my Amex benefit despite the fact that it is clearly showing up on my app under payments. The charges just keep going to my Amex. I've sent a message to support and it's like they don't even know what I'm talking about. This happened once before about a year ago and same problem. Amex was useless. Uber eventually (like 3 months later and multiple exchanges) issued some uber cash but the entire exchange was ridiculous.

I have been having this issue, too, and there is no button to toggle saying to use Amex benefit first. It just pulls from Uber Cash where I have bought a lot of credit. Amex benefit also shows there, but does not let me give it priority to use first over the Uber Cash option. Uber Support keeps saying I need to select it, but there is nothing to select. Neither gives you the option to tick a box or move it higher in the list.

Is there any way to see if your Amex credit was used for the month? My receipts don't show it as being used. Uber Support, as usual, is awful, and Amex is clueless.

nmenaker Mar 3, 2019 5:44 am

In the end I think this is a little bit of trickery on the part of AMEX and UBER. The fact that the Uber credit is pooled with the regular credits and added credit means that if you don’t use ALL the total stored pooled credit within the month then the AMEX credit might not be used. I’ve had this happen before as well. Best thing is to of course then keep the UBER credit low, and use it first - using the pay for adding fare with a credit car option. Then add credit to Uber if you want to take advantage of any % discounts for actually BUYING credit.

mia Mar 3, 2019 8:36 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker (Post 30841792)
..... The fact that the Uber credit is pooled with the regular credits and added credit means that if you don’t use ALL the total stored pooled credit within the month then the AMEX credit might not be used. ....

This did not seem to be the case back in November:

Originally Posted by SuperKirby (Post 30421641)
I entered a gift card into my Uber account this month ($25 for November). Now in addition to my Amex Plat credit ($15), which is the priority they will use first (assuming the ride is less than $15)?

Originally Posted by diesteldorf (Post 30421662)
In my experience, last week, they used the AMEX Plat credit first.

Majuki Mar 3, 2019 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30842221)
This did not seem to be the case back in November

Nor is it the case now. I just took a ride last night and the expiring credits are pulled first.

NYTA Mar 5, 2019 5:05 am

I had a certain amount of Uber Cash appear in my account that I assumed was from the Amex benefit. Recently when riding I had something like $9.54 of Ubercash and the fare was $10.50 and it wouldn't just use the Ubercash and then charge my card for the difference. I had to either load up on $25 of Ubercash or pay with a credit card. Anyone know how to get around this?

Diplomatico Mar 5, 2019 8:20 am

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 30849868)
I had a certain amount of Uber Cash appear in my account that I assumed was from the Amex benefit. Recently when riding I had something like $9.54 of Ubercash and the fare was $10.50 and it wouldn't just use the Ubercash and then charge my card for the difference. I had to either load up on $25 of Ubercash or pay with a credit card. Anyone know how to get around this?

The Uber app does indeed give you the choice of paying the difference between the fare and your Uber cash balance by using your credit card on file. You don't need to pay the entire fare by credit card if your Uber cash balance is less than the estimated fare.....nor do you need to buy more Uber cash.

sdix Mar 5, 2019 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 30849868)

I had the same issue today in Chicago. $15 Amex credit but fare was $17. I had to buy $25 UBER cash for it to process. It use to take your Amex credit then charge your card for any balance.

If this is the new way of doing things it's complete BS

ijgordon Mar 5, 2019 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 30850504)
The Uber app does indeed give you the choice of paying the difference between the fare and your Uber cash balance by using your credit card on file. You don't need to pay the entire fare by credit card if your Uber cash balance is less than the estimated fare.....nor do you need to buy more Uber cash.

Correct, and I'm pretty sure that the Uber app will ask you whether you want to buy more Uber cash or use another payment method for any excess before you confirm (or it confirms) the ride, at least that's how it has worked for me once a month.

Diplomatico Mar 5, 2019 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by sdix (Post 30852015)
I had the same issue today in Chicago. $15 Amex credit but fare was $17. I had to buy $25 UBER cash for it to process. It use to take your Amex credit then charge your card for any balance.

If this is the new way of doing things it's complete BS

Still does. Just did that very same thing last night - charged $15 of my ride to the AMEX credit and the remainder to my credit card.

blaz Mar 5, 2019 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 30852193)
Still does. Just did that very same thing last night - charged $15 of my ride to the AMEX credit and the remainder to my credit card.

This used to work for me but no longer does. It no longer asks me if I want to cover the difference with a credit card but instead insists I purchase more Uber cash or switch to CC payment. I think they are probably gradually switching every one over to this new system and they haven’t hit your account yet.

Segments Mar 5, 2019 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by blaz (Post 30852717)

This used to work for me but no longer does. It no longer asks me if I want to cover the difference with a credit card but instead insists I purchase more Uber cash or switch to CC payment. I think they are probably gradually switching every one over to this new system and they haven’t hit your account yet.

Ditto

jeeden Mar 6, 2019 12:32 pm

Tried using my credit today with problems. In the past I have just left the account as is with my amex as the default payment. It would should the uber cash, but when I took a ride, it would use the credit and charge the rest to the card. Today it just charged the card straight up. I then changed the payment default to uber cash for another trip and it worked. Now I wonder if it would ask to charge the difference to the card when I used all the credit or have a problem like some above.

This is super irritating. I was thinking of the crazy scenario chart this would make. Amex default, uber cash default, other default, existing credits, no credits, cover difference with card, forced gift card purchase. Horrible.