Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum/Gold (USA) 5X/3X on OTA's, foreign carriers, fees, award taxes, etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum/Gold (USA) 5X/3X on OTA's, foreign carriers, fees, award taxes, etc?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum

Hi all-

I know the published benefit is 5x for travel booked directly through the airlines or Amex travel, but has anyone has success booking through an OTA and still getting the 5x (i.e. charges come though from the airline even though booked through an OTA)? I'm reading different answers, so I'm hoping for some data points.

I have an itinerary that I can book on Priceline, but I can't get it to price out using Amex travel or the airline directly. Any help/DPs are most welcome.

TIA
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:51 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Usually if you're booking standalone airfare through an OTA, the charge still comes through from the airline. Of course ymmv.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA- 1P
Amex Platinum/Gold (USA) 5X/3X on foreign carriers, fees, award taxes, etc?

If I book award travel with an airline and pay the fuel surcharge and taxes with my amex platinum, will that qualify for the 5X multiplier?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Pretty sure I did recently for some United domestic award tickets.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:42 pm

Confirmed yes for AA, Singapore Krisflyer, BA Avios, Asia miles
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA- 1P
I tried with LH. I'll confirm if it works
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:03 pm

Did not work for me on Southwest for taxes only when using points for the ticket.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
For Premier Rewards Gold 3X airline bonus:
It worked for me with SQ, LH, UA, DL & B6.

Even got the bonus points & it applied to my $100 airline credit for taxes & fees.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:29 am

5 x points on AA Miles Purchase?

If I use my Amex Platinum to buy AA Miles now on the aa.com, will I receive 5 x MR points for this purchase? thx
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I got 5x on a AA gift card purchase
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by 4aks
How long ago?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpk79
If I use my Amex Platinum to buy AA Miles now on the aa.com, will I receive 5 x MR points for this purchase? thx
I pretty sure the answer is NO.

IIRC, aa.com (like so many ailrilnes and hotels) outsources the buying of miles (or points) to points.com, and your actual charge on a miles purchase is billed to points.com.

You can verify that by trying to buy miles on aa.com but not hitting the final purchase button (and thus not spending any money). Before you get to the final purchase button, you should be "thrown" to points.com website, if they outsource it. (And once you're thrown to points.com, you can be sure it won't count as an AA purchase.)

So just because buying a gift card might be billed as an AA purchase doesn't mean buying of miles will be.

Originally Posted by 4aks
The OP was asking about buying miles, not buying a gift card. The answer is not the same for both!

Last edited by mia; Apr 19, 2017 at 12:32 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
... aa.com (like so many ailrilnes and hotels) outsources the buying of miles (or points) to points.com, and your actual charge on a miles purchase is billed to points.com.
This changed in 2014:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...nsactions.html

Miles purchases will be an AA transaction, but I do not know if they use the same merchant account for this business as they use for tickets (or giftcards.)
Old May 23, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
Do airline fees earn 5x MR if paid with USA personal Platinum?

Pretty much the subject-line question. I know that upgrade fees "generally" do not qualify for the travel fee reimbursement, but I have not found an answer to the slightly different question:

Do the upgrade fees qualify under the 5x for airfare? I assume the answer is "no", but this will affect which card gets charged so I'm hoping to confirm.

Specifically (in case it matters), this would be the co-pay in the miles+copay upgrade for UA.

Thanks,
Z
Old May 23, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorland
Do the upgrade fees qualify under the 5x for airfare? I assume the answer is "no", but this will affect which card gets charged so I'm hoping to confirm.

Specifically (in case it matters), this would be the co-pay in the miles+copay upgrade for UA.
I can't speak for that, but I would guess it will qualify for 5x. I have had a cash upgrade for a UA flight, as well as a contribution to my United Gift Registry, both code for 5x.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.