Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

American Airlines now processes its own buy/gift/share miles transactions.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA

It looks like AA now processes their own Buy/Share miles transactions rather than outsourcing to points.com (AA.con only, US air still seems to be using points.com)

this is great because it should mean that these transactions . are now eligible for extra miles/ statement credits through banks

I am currently testing this, but so far so good

enjoy

https://buymiles.aa.com/en/share?c=A...EN,US_TRANSFER

Last edited by rgAAFT; Dec 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:29 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Not sure why they didn't do it on their own from the beginning? surely this would mean a better deal for american airlines .
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Not sure why they didn't do it on their own from the beginning? surely this would mean a better deal for american airlines .
Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe with the merger and all , they actually had somebody sit down and run the numbers on it... They have been doing points.com for as long as I can remember. Well, anyway
win win for all concerned
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, Marriott
American Airlines now processes their own buyshare mles transactions

Does this mean that it will no longer be "between 3-5 business days for your miles to post." If you're lucky...
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This article from 2013 explained how Points International's relationship with AA was different than their relationship with US.

Points International is undoubtedly watching developments in the US Airways-American Airlines merger, although MacLean said Points International likely wouldn’t feel any impact until 2014.

Points International has a deeper relationship with US Airways than with American Airlines.

With US Airways, Points International buys miles from the airline at wholesale rates and then resells them to consumers. For American Airlines, Points International merely acts as an agent for American, and retails its miles to travelers at lower margins.

Obviously it would benefit Points International if the new American Airlines decides to adopt US Airways’ wholesale relationship with Points International, and it would hurt if American’s agency relationship with Points International becomes the future model.

MacLean said Points International is engaged in conversations with both airlines, adding that there are “tremendous opportunities” to expand the relationship.

Originally Posted by unvested
Does this mean that it will no longer be "between 3-5 business days for your miles to post." If you're lucky...
Yes. Read this page: https://buymiles.aa.com/en/buygift/faq
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unvested
Yes, my two transactions posted immediately this afternoon
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Hilton Gold, SPG
So does it means it will count as travel? i.e. I can earn 2X points from AA citi card or maybe 2X points on CSP?

Thanks for doing the test and please keep us updated OP.

-Pete
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sincera4565
So does it means it will count as travel? i.e. I can earn 2X points from AA citi card or maybe 2X points on CSP?

Thanks for doing the test and please keep us updated OP.

-Pete
yes it should, as the transaction posts as "American Airlines"

I should know within several days when I will try to redeem some of by Barclaycard arrival points towards that purchase
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:47 am

Considering there is a $35 or so transaction fee, this does not seem like a good use of airline incidentals.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nall
Considering there is a $35 or so transaction fee, this does not seem like a good use of airline incidentals.
I think it's $20
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I think it's $20
I went to the page and it says:

Originally Posted by aa.com
Prices are in U.S. dollars and do not include applicable taxes or $35 per transaction processing charge.
Unless that is dated and hasn't been updated? I didn't see anything about $20 anywhere.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nall
I went to the page and it says:

Unless that is dated and hasn't been updated? I didn't see anything about $20 anywhere.
My receipt shows $262.50 (21k shared miles) +$20 processing fee=$282.50 grand total
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There are three possibilities: Buying, Gifting, Sharing.

The fee depends on which you choose:

ALL AMOUNTS CHARGED TO MEMBERS FOR THE PURCHASE OF MILES INLUDE U.S. FEDERAL EXCISE TAX (CURRENTLY SEVEN AND ONE-HALF PERCENT (7.5%) AND ARE SUBJECT TO A TRANSACTION PROCESSING FEE. THE PER TRANSACTION PROCESSING FEE FOR THE PURCHASE OF MILES IS $35 (applies to Buying or Gifting miles).
ALL AMOUNTS CHARGED TO MEMBERS FOR THE SHARING OF MILES INCLUDE A TRANSACTION PROCESSING FEE OF $20.
https://buymiles.aa.com/en/share/tc
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
There are three possibilities: Buying, Gifting, Sharing.

The fee depends on which you choose:
good find, many thanks
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Poster

I can officially confirm that my miles purchase via AA.com posted as travel and thus I was able to redeem arrival miles at full value

A blogger (one mile at a time) said that Chase awards 2X as well. I can't imagine why citi would not

The only variable in my opinion is whether or not these purchases would count towards the annual $200 reimbursement credit found on AMEX Platinum cards.(?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.