FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Platinum/Gold (USA) 5X/3X on OTA's, foreign carriers, fees, award taxes, etc?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:18 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpk79
If I use my Amex Platinum to buy AA Miles now on the aa.com, will I receive 5 x MR points for this purchase? thx
I pretty sure the answer is NO.

IIRC, aa.com (like so many ailrilnes and hotels) outsources the buying of miles (or points) to points.com, and your actual charge on a miles purchase is billed to points.com.

You can verify that by trying to buy miles on aa.com but not hitting the final purchase button (and thus not spending any money). Before you get to the final purchase button, you should be "thrown" to points.com website, if they outsource it. (And once you're thrown to points.com, you can be sure it won't count as an AA purchase.)

So just because buying a gift card might be billed as an AA purchase doesn't mean buying of miles will be.

Originally Posted by 4aks
I got 5x on a AA gift card purchase
The OP was asking about buying miles, not buying a gift card. The answer is not the same for both!

Last edited by mia; Apr 19, 2017 at 12:32 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies.