Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: *void
I wonder if there will still be people willing to pay $150 for the Personal Gold's 30K MR points. For years people have been happy to pay $120 for the Personal SPG's 20K, which is roughly 40K MR. Of course FYF would be preferred, but I can see some people willing to pay 0.5 cpp, especially those who need 30K to reach an Aeroplan redemption tier.

I agree with you Mark, as I too envision that Amex will likely want to rotate the FYF promo for the PG in the next few years, as the Aeroplan / AC breakup draws nearer. Based on recent trends, it now appears that Amex no longer wants to push their Aeroplan Plus cards much any more (no recent promos, upcoming change to referral program on Sep 27). So, I can see them attacking the wavering client base who are probably going to abandon their TD and CIBC Aeroplan Visa CCs in the next couple of years, and the Personal Gold at FYF would be a suitable marketing bait to pull them in, similar to 2013 when they attacked the confused Aeroplan CC market with the FYF AeroPlus Gold card.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
(no recent promos, upcoming change to referral program on Sep 27).
Correct me if I am wrong, but has the language not disappeared about changes on 27/9 for the AP cards?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:34 pm

For the last week or so, the email sever has not been accepting any messages. Is that just me or is there a problem which the site says temporary, when I try to send a message?

Was able to communicate on the 13th. Now waiting for a response.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Sep 13, 2017 at 5:05 pm Reason: update
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by markandrew
Correct me if I am wrong, but has the language not disappeared about changes on 27/9 for the AP cards?

Mark, here's the wording, copied from my Aeroplan Plus Platinum application landing page:

New American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Platinum Cardmembers earn 41,000 bonus Aeroplan Miles after they spend $3,000 in the first three months of Cardmembership.5 Offer subject to change at any time. To be eligible for this offer, you must apply by September 27th, 2017 through the link provided on this page. This Card will no longer be part of our referral program after this date.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jerryhung
but another BAD news for AMEX
http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2017/09...ards-card.html

If you have been thinking about getting Canada's #1 Travel Rewards Card you need to apply for it by tomorrow! Or if you had it, cancelled it and were waiting to reapply (ie churn it via your referral program etc.) you should apply today or tomorrow. The reason why is that after nearly 7 years of being a first year free card, the card will no longer offer it. As of September 14th the Gold Rewards Card's $150 annual fee will be charged from day one.
Looks like the post was removed... can't seem to find it on the website at all anymore. Is there a chance this isn't happening? That's such a great card, and actually probably worth the fee for 30,000 points. Another Canadian blogger has shared the same info without a source referenced and about 20 referral links to various other Amex cards.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by SOWK
Looks like the post was removed... can't seem to find it on the website at all anymore. Is there a chance this isn't happening? That's such a great card, and actually probably worth the fee for 30,000 points. Another Canadian blogger has shared the same info without a source referenced and about 20 referral links to various other Amex cards.
Apparently Amex Canada reached out to their bigger blogging affiliates and asked them to take down the pages that announced this upcoming change to the Personal Gold's FYF feature. Of course, there are those who aren't true partners and decide to keep herding the cattle into their referral-laden ranch, as true referring peddlers.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC SE
Apparently Amex Canada reached out to their bigger blogging affiliates and asked them to take down the pages that announced this upcoming change to the Personal Gold's FYF feature. Of course, there are those who aren't true partners and decide to keep herding the cattle into their referral-laden ranch, as true referring peddlers.
Sooo... Do we still expect to lose FYF for all applications made after Sept 13th?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
Sooo... Do we still expect to lose FYF for all applications made after Sept 13th?
As of today, Sep 13th, it's still FYF for the Personal Gold. At the card's signup page I still do see those magic words:
"No annual fee for the first year. A value of $150*"

Expect this (FYF) to disappear some time tomorrow, Sep 14. But other than referred and direct signups, there's also those that are sitting on sites like GCR and Perkopolis, which may still show the FYF, so if on say the 14th and beyond, if you want to take a chance on screenshots and then applying with them as proof of your online offer for FYF, there's that possibility too. Or as markandrew suggested, it may come back from time-to-time as a FYF promotional offer for a few months at a time.

Good luck to all.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:32 am

I wonder if there will still be people willing to pay $150 for the Personal Gold's 30K MR points. For years people have been happy to pay $120 for the Personal SPG's 20K, which is roughly 40K MR. Of course FYF would be preferred, but I can see some people willing to pay 0.5 cpp, especially those who need 30K to reach an Aeroplan redemption tier.

I agree with you Mark, as I too envision that Amex will likely want to rotate the FYF promo for the PG in the next few years, as the Aeroplan / AC breakup draws nearer. Based on recent trends, it now appears that Amex no longer wants to push their Aeroplan Plus cards much any more (no recent promos, upcoming change to referral program on Sep 27). So, I can see them attacking the wavering client base who are probably going to abandon their TD and CIBC Aeroplan Visa CCs in the next couple of years, and the Personal Gold at FYF would be a suitable marketing bait to pull them in, similar to 2013 when they attacked the confused Aeroplan CC market with the FYF AeroPlus Gold card.
Hmmmm...I might be willing to pay the $150 for the 30K. I actually really love the Gold card...it's a good earner for me - I spend a lot at drug, groceries and gas, so the 2x the points are just great.

But considering that getting the sign-up bonus is not guaranteed anymore, getting this card is a bit risky. It was always low-risk with the FYF.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should apply today, to at least get in under the wire. But I only cancelled my last Gold Card about 6 months ago - I may have better chances of getting the bonus if I wait longer. Not to mention I've already applied for an SPG Biz and and RBC Avion in the past week - eeek (and both apps are still pending)...I'm scared to look at my credit rating!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by pokee
Hmmmm...I might be willing to pay the $150 for the 30K. I actually really love the Gold card...it's a good earner for me - I spend a lot at drug, groceries and gas, so the 2x the points are just great.

But considering that getting the sign-up bonus is not guaranteed anymore, getting this card is a bit risky. It was always low-risk with the FYF.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should apply today, to at least get in under the wire. But I only cancelled my last Gold Card about 6 months ago - I may have better chances of getting the bonus if I wait longer. Not to mention I've already applied for an SPG Biz and and RBC Avion in the past week - eeek (and both apps are still pending)...I'm scared to look at my credit rating!
Six months is plenty of time to wait for reapplying for the same card without much fear of re-activation of the closed card account, but you're right that it is YMMV for the welcome bonus again, though many reported relatively easy success with it...again, it's YMMV.

I've closed and re-opened Amex cards with short turnaround times, once with just one month gap, and another with one week. Both times I didn't get instant approval online, but with my good fortune I received the congratulatory email within 2 days (I did not call Amex to speed up the manual review) that I was approved and I got the full welcome points. Not everyone will have this same 'luck'.

If you apply, list your Personal SPG card as your other existing card as this will help Amex to ID you correctly when pulling your Transunion credit file, without having to contact you (try to minimize/avoid dialog'ing with them).
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Has anyone seen "statement credit" offers for the AMEX AirMiles Reserve card ? I saw one on AirCanada.com when I was in the process of making a flight reservation.

It offered a statement credit of $100 or $150, I don't remember exactly
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
For the last week or so, the email sever has not been accepting any messages. Is that just me or is there a problem which the site says temporary, when I try to send a message?
Not the case for me. Secure messaged on Monday, got a reply on Tuesday.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Has anyone seen "statement credit" offers for the AMEX AirMiles Reserve card ? I saw one on AirCanada.com when I was in the process of making a flight reservation.

It offered a statement credit of $100 or $150, I don't remember exactly
There was a $100 statement credit offered with the Aeroplan Plus cards recently, but haven't seen that for AM card.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: AC SE
And the Amex Personnal Gold is now officially no longer FYF. The Amex website has been updated as of this morning. Looks like Rewards Canada was right!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
And the Amex Personnal Gold is now officially no longer FYF. The Amex website has been updated as of this morning. Looks like Rewards Canada was right!
When I checked earlier this morning, the Personal Gold application landing page (referred) wasn't viewable. In fact it seemed like the idap-e3.americanexpress.com subdomain was inaccessible and down, but obviously back up now.

Anyways, there are those dreaded (missing) words on the Gold signup page:
$150 Annual Fee*

At the GreatCanadianRebates GCR site, the initial offer page mentions:
No Annual Fee for the first year; $150 Annual Fee thereafter*
However, when you click thru to apply, at the official Amex page in no longer mentions FYF for the primary card. So, with the $50 cash back it's a net of $100 annual fee, but on the downside, no additional 5,000 MR points when applying through GCR, only if you apply via an existing cardholder's referral.

For those who are interested, Perkopolis still shows the $99 annual fee offer. I don't know the details on how to sign up for this though. Never played here before.

-----

Dear FYF-Gold-MR card, RIP. We've been through a lot of adventures together. Hope to see you come by for a visit again, real soon.

Your old friend, JJJ

Last edited by JJonahJ; Sep 14, 2017 at 8:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.