Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Just checking, I currently have the Gold Business card. If I self-refer myself to the Plat Business card (yes, I know will only get 10k referral instead of 25k), I'm still eligible for the 75k welcome bonus right (as opposed to 40k)?

Or does it have to be Gold <-> Gold, and Plat <-> Plat?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Just checking, I currently have the Gold Business card. If I self-refer myself to the Plat Business card (yes, I know will only get 10k referral instead of 25k), I'm still eligible for the 75k welcome bonus right (as opposed to 40k)?

Or does it have to be Gold <-> Gold, and Plat <-> Plat?
Yes, you still get the 75K. When you open your referral link, the application page will spell out the details of the bonus.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I'm not sure I'm following this correctly. Don't, but do?
Originally Posted by mia
I read: Do NOT list a card which participates in Membership Rewards, but DO list a card which earns another type of rewards.
Yes, thanks mia, that's what I'm trying to say. Sorry for not being clearer.

YOWgary, the reason for that is because there's a belief (albeit unsubstantiated) that having a new MR account created on a Personal MR card churning attempt will result in a greater chance of success for getting the repeated welcome bonus. And one way to help assist in getting a new MR account created for the new card is to NOT list down an existing Amex MR card during the application, but DO list down another Amex card product from another family (SimplyCash, SPG, Air Miles). At least from our corner of the Amex world, this has how we've been doing things, and have been met with success.

And you DO want to list an Amex card (but non-MR if possible) so that Amex will more easily identify you, increasing chance for instant approval. If you leave it blank then your ID may not be apparent. You might still get ID'd correctly and result in a Transunion pull for auto-application processing. But if not, then your application will be put into a queue for manual processing, which normally is OK and you can wait for them to properly pull your credit file (or you can call in to speed up this verification process). However, you might also get a credit analyst who decides to take a 'closer' look at your application and card history - at this point it may go to another back-office team to review for eligibility of the promotional welcome offers/terms. From there, it's fingers-crossing time.

First time Personal card applicants, and Business card product applicants (in Canada) need not worry about all of this as the one-welcome policies don't apply to them, at least not at this current time of writing.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Hey all,

I currently hold Amex Biz Gold and the SPG (Personal).
On both cards I met the min spend and received my bonus points.

I applied and was approved for an Amex Personal Gold again - just received it but have not yet activated it. I previously held / cancelled it in June.

Advice for what to do moving forward
- I saw that the SPG Business 25,000 points bonus offer is ending in about 5 days so wanted to grab that. Am I able to self-refer from my Personal SPG?

- If I activate the Personal Gold, chances I get my bonus points again after min spend /3 mo?

- Am I able to hold more than 2 AMEX active at the same time?

Appreciate any help! I'm still new to this(learning + earning)!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Hey all,

I currently hold Amex Biz Gold and the SPG (Personal).
On both cards I met the min spend and received my bonus points.

I applied and was approved for an Amex Personal Gold again - just received it but have not yet activated it. I previously held / cancelled it in June.

Advice for what to do moving forward
- I saw that the SPG Business 25,000 points bonus offer is ending in about 5 days so wanted to grab that. Am I able to self-refer from my Personal SPG?

- If I activate the Personal Gold, chances I get my bonus points again after min spend /3 mo?

- Am I able to hold more than 2 AMEX active at the same time?

Appreciate any help! I'm still new to this(learning + earning)!
Yes, go to your Personal SPG referred signup page, then look for the Business SPG icon at the bottom of the page to apply as a self-referral. You get 5K for referring.

There's no harm in activating your Personal Gold card, it's going to report to the bureaus whether or not you activate it. Once you activate you can see if your new PG's MR account is merged with your Biz Gold or not. Hopefully not. Then give it a shot to see if you get the repeat points, but don't call Amex if you don't see the 25K after spending $1500, just wait it out.

You can have 2 Amex CREDIT cards, so for eg the Personal SPG + Business SPG is already 2. If you also already have say a Simply Cash or Air Miles Amex CREDIT card then you won't be able to open the Business SPG as it would be a 3rd CREDIT product.

Your Biz Gold and Personal Gold MR are CHARGE cards...they don't fall under the "MAXIMUM" of 2 CREDIT cards (CHARGE vs CREDIT).
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Awesome, thanks Jonah appreciate the help!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
How long are you waiting these days before reapplying for the same card you’ve had previously to get the welcome bonus again?

Or have they cracked down on this?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:20 pm

Trying to do a spg personal to spg business self referral

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Yes, go to your Personal SPG referred signup page, then look for the Business SPG icon at the bottom of the page to apply as a self-referral. You get 5K for referring. Would it be correct to say that one links onto the business application on the email

There's no harm in activating your Personal Gold card, it's going to report to the bureaus whether or not you activate it. Once you activate you can see if your new PG's MR account is merged with your Biz Gold or not. Hopefully not. Then give it a shot to see if you get the repeat points, but don't call Amex if you don't see the 25K after spending $1500, just wait it out.

You can have 2 Amex CREDIT cards, so for eg the Personal SPG + Business SPG is already 2. If you also already have say a Simply Cash or Air Miles Amex CREDIT card then you won't be able to open the Business SPG as it would be a 3rd CREDIT product.

Your Biz Gold and Personal Gold MR are CHARGE cards...they don't fall under the "MAXIMUM" of 2 CREDIT cards (CHARGE vs CREDIT).

So I am trying to get in a spg personal to spg business self referral, but am unable to find on my spg personal referring page an option to refer any other card. Specifically I do not see a link for the spg business card. Would it be correct to say that the place I find the application for the business card is at the bottom of the email that American Express sends me?

More importantly, if I am reading the terms correctly , this is for first time cardholders only. Are there any other offers out there? I closed the spg business earlier this year, and would prefer to not fight with a credit card company about anything, and also that they not open up a file on me.

Finally, given that I have an ok history with Amex, some churning , a fair deal of spend, good income and good credit — can I simultaneously have the spg personal, Amex gold membership personal, Amex gold membership business and apply for the platinum membership business for the very first time and presumably for the platinum membership personal nine months later? Too many of any kind of card such as charge or credit?

Thank you

Last edited by Jared Ito; Oct 16, 2017 at 9:43 pm Reason: Me not got it right
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jared Ito
So I am trying to get in a spg personal to spg business self referral, but am unable to find on my spg personal referring page an option to refer any other card. Specifically I do not see a link for the spg business card. Would it be correct to say that the place I find the application for the business card is at the bottom of the email that American Express sends me?

More importantly, if I am reading the terms correctly , this is for first time cardholders only. Are there any other offers out there? I closed the spg business earlier this year, and would prefer to not fight with a credit card company about anything, and also that they not open up a file on me.

Finally, given that I have an ok history with Amex, some churning , a fair deal of spend, good income and good credit — can I simultaneously have the spg personal, Amex gold membership personal, Amex gold membership business and apply for the platinum membership business for the very first time and presumably for the platinum membership personal nine months later? Too many of any kind of card such as charge or credit?

Thank you
Go to your Refer a Friend page for your existing SPG Personal card. Copy and paste the link that looks like amex.ca/share/jaredi234, and into a new web browser page. This is your referral to the SPG Personal card...now look down below for another card icon, which unsurprising looks like the same as the Personal SPG, but it's actually the Business SPG card icon. Click on it and it goes to the signup page for a Business SPG card...this IS your referral for the Business SPG card from your Personal SPG card. Use it to sign up for the Business SPG card and you will earn 5K into your Personal SPG card at its next statement. Clear as fog?

The Business card products don't have the wording in the footnotes about being restrictive to one-time welcome bonus, so you don't have to worry about churning the SPG Business card.

You are only limited by the number of Amex CREDIT cards, which is a maximum of 2. So you could have the Personal and Business SPG CREDIT cards, but then that's it, no more other CC like the SimplyCash, Air Miles, Blue Sky, Cobalt. The Membership Reward (MR) cards are CHARGE cards, and there is no limit to how many you can hold, credit profile strength pending. If you have good and solid history with the bureaus and Amex, then you can open all four MR cards concurrently (Gold, Biz Gold, Plat, Biz Plat) whilst also carrying any 2 Amex CREDIT cards.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:46 am

Go to your Refer a Friend page for your existing SPG Personal card. Copy and paste the link that looks like amex.ca/share/jaredi234, and into a new web browser page. This is your referral to the SPG Personal card...now look down below for another card icon, which unsurprising looks like the same as the Personal SPG, but it's actually the Business SPG card icon. Click on it and it goes to the signup page for a Business SPG card...this IS your referral for the Business SPG card from your Personal SPG card. Use it to sign up for the Business SPG card and you will earn 5K into your Personal SPG card at its next statement. Clear as fog?

The Business card products don't have the wording in the footnotes about being restrictive to one-time welcome bonus, so you don't have to worry about churning the SPG Business card.

You are only limited by the number of Amex CREDIT cards, which is a maximum of 2. So you could have the Personal and Business SPG CREDIT cards, but then that's it, no more other CC like the SimplyCash, Air Miles, Blue Sky, Cobalt. The Membership Reward (MR) cards are CHARGE cards, and there is no limit to how many you can hold, credit profile strength pending. If you have good and solid history with the bureaus and Amex, then you can open all four MR cards concurrently (Gold, Biz Gold, Plat, Biz Plat) whilst also carrying any 2 Amex CREDIT cards.

Very clear instructions, simple enough so that even I could understand it. However, having copied and pasted my referral link and clicked on the spg business card I did see under footnote four that it is only for new spg business cardholders, that current or former might be approved, but without the bonus.

So I will pass on it for now, and not self refer but if anyone has a link without wording about previous cardholders being ineligible for the bonus — I am game.
JjJ , I wish I thought and wrote as well as you, you are always so helpful, thank you.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Jared Ito
Very clear instructions, simple enough so that even I could understand it. However, having copied and pasted my referral link and clicked on the spg business card I did see under footnote four that it is only for new spg business cardholders, that current or former might be approved, but without the bonus.

So I will pass on it for now, and not self refer but if anyone has a link without wording about previous cardholders being ineligible for the bonus — I am game.
JjJ , I wish I thought and wrote as well as you, you are always so helpful, thank you.
Thank you for pointing that out, Jared. I hadn't visited the footnotes of the Business card products for a few months now, and you are indeed correct, the #4 footnote of the SPG Business card DOES mention the one-welcome notes now.

I also did a quick glance at footnotes for the Business Gold MR and Business Platinum MR cards, and they do NOT mention this, yet. Internally, Amex Canada may already have been training their staff to notify repeat applicants that they may not be eligible for another Business card's welcome bonus, and we've seen a number of people reporting this in the past year or so, though the footnotes had not indicated this policy.

Well, it was a matter of time, as Amex USA had clamped down on repeat applications for their Personal card products, and then followed up with similar stance on their Business cards about a year later. Here in Amex Canada land we saw the Personal cards introduce the no-churn footnotes beginning in July 2015, and have kept an eye on and wondered about when the Canadian Business cards would follow the lead of our USA counterparts. It's why our team had focused on churning the Business cards with more frequency than in the past, in anticipation on when Amex Canada would make their own new policy on Business churns.

Going forward, good luck to all who are repeat churning the SPG Business card, and thanks again to @Jared Ito; for pointing this out in the SPG Business card's footnotes.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:02 pm

Notable recent Amex Canada updates:
  • July 11, 2017 - Personal Gold MR will no longer earn referral points (buth then restored back to 5K on Oct 19)
  • July 21, 2017 - no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR, unless you used a side trick
  • Sep 14, 2017 - Personal Gold MR no longer FYF, $150/yr
  • Sep 18, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG cards now only earn 5K for referring, down from 10K
  • Sep 25, 2017 - new Cobalt MR CC introduced.
  • Oct 19, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG cards are now back to regular 20K welcome points, down from promotional 25K (promo ran from July 18-Oct 18).
  • Oct 19, 2017 - Personal Gold MR can now refer again for 5K bonus points, but only to other Personal Gold MR AND new Cobalt CC. Was earning 0 for past few months, since July 11, 2017.
  • Recently - Unsure when, but the side trick of referring to Personal Gold MR from other 'higher' MR cards has now been detected by Amex systems, and will no longer work. Instead of the Gold MR application page, it now auto-redirects to open other MR card pages, such as Biz Plat, Plat or Biz Gold.
heraclitus and pokee like this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:27 pm

Are status miles are offered with tickets booked through the new Fixed Points Travel Program?

RBC moved to axe status miles on AC tickets booked via RBC Rewards so looking to re-evaluate the cards I have now.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
  • Recently - Unsure when, but the side trick of referring to Personal Gold MR from other 'higher' MR cards has now been detected by Amex systems, and will no longer work. Instead of the Gold MR application page, it now auto-redirects to open other MR card pages, such as Biz Plat, Plat or Biz Gold.
Never knew about this.
But referring from "lower" to "higher" card is still okay right?

Biz Gold -> Biz Plat = 10k referral?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I think I might have found a trick to show the personal gold charge card again from plat/biz_gold. Same principle, but you do the switcheroo inside the source code this time then click apply...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.