FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:05 am
JJonahJ

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by pokee
Hmmmm...I might be willing to pay the $150 for the 30K. I actually really love the Gold card...it's a good earner for me - I spend a lot at drug, groceries and gas, so the 2x the points are just great.

But considering that getting the sign-up bonus is not guaranteed anymore, getting this card is a bit risky. It was always low-risk with the FYF.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should apply today, to at least get in under the wire. But I only cancelled my last Gold Card about 6 months ago - I may have better chances of getting the bonus if I wait longer. Not to mention I've already applied for an SPG Biz and and RBC Avion in the past week - eeek (and both apps are still pending)...I'm scared to look at my credit rating!
Six months is plenty of time to wait for reapplying for the same card without much fear of re-activation of the closed card account, but you're right that it is YMMV for the welcome bonus again, though many reported relatively easy success with it...again, it's YMMV.

I've closed and re-opened Amex cards with short turnaround times, once with just one month gap, and another with one week. Both times I didn't get instant approval online, but with my good fortune I received the congratulatory email within 2 days (I did not call Amex to speed up the manual review) that I was approved and I got the full welcome points. Not everyone will have this same 'luck'.

If you apply, list your Personal SPG card as your other existing card as this will help Amex to ID you correctly when pulling your Transunion credit file, without having to contact you (try to minimize/avoid dialog'ing with them).