Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I hate leaving money (and food) on the table, but understood!
If you stay at Marriott, you pay for food and most likely not much will be left over.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:56 pm

Hi, does anyone know how to add the supplementary card to online services? I added my gold to my existing account but can't seem to add the other. Am I suppose to create a new account for the supplement? Sorry for the newb question.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:20 am

Fudgsicles. I can't seem to refer to PG from BP any more... anyone else missing PG from their ref link?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question give me a reason to renew Aeroplan Platinum please?

I have a decision to make whether to renew (or not) the Aeroplan Plat card? I figure they are losing clients big time since AC divorced AP & redemptions became very difficult. Any recent retention offers? Fee waivers?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Hi, does anyone know how to add the supplementary card to online services? I added my gold to my existing account but can't seem to add the other. Am I suppose to create a new account for the supplement? Sorry for the newb question.
Yes, you need to create online accounts at Amex.ca. This is a relatively new requirement.
Or they can add the supplementary cards to their existing accounts if they have one.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by 604flyer
Fudgsicles. I can't seem to refer to PG from BP any more... anyone else missing PG from their ref link?
At your BP's referring page, click on one of the other cards, such as the BG or PP. then look for the PG card icon at that page. Should ring up as 25K for your BP on a successful referral to PG.

Update: Uh oh...you're right. NO MORE REFERRING TO THE PERSONAL GOLD? Not even after you click on all the other card icons, and then the icons on those next pages, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Jul 21, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:07 am

Or they can add the supplementary cards to their existing accounts if they have one.
Why haven't I thought of this? I'll let my brother know to add the supp to his account. Thanks as always JJ!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:15 pm

Thanks Flying Prince. This one, I'm aware of, in the context of Amex MR to Marriott. My old buddy alc had mentioned it last year here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post27266970

Basically, without an Aeroplan hotels conversion bonus promo the 7-night e-cert would effectively cost 60K MR. But with the recent Spring 30% Aeroplan conversion promo yielding 150K Aeroplans it was reduced down to a cost of 30K. Now with the current 35% conversion promo, a cost of 18K for 7-nites is ridiculously good value!
I'm a little confused about this promo - do you have to transfer Frequent Flyer points to get it - or just purchase it using your Marriott Points?

And it looks like you can purchase a package for any frequent flyer program of your choice - right?

Do you know if you can get the travel package for anything lower than 200K? If not, is it worthwhile to buy points to take advantage of this promo if you stay at Marriott hotels a lot? I only have 46K Amex MRs - which wouldn't even come close to the 200K Marriott points I'd need to buy the package.

And if your package includes 7 nights - do they have to be consecutive at the same hotel - or is it 7 free nights anywhere (so I could book 7 single night stays)? And if you buy cat 5 - can you upgrade at the time of redemption to get a higher category stay?

Last edited by pokee; Jul 21, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:55 pm

Nor at GCR where it's still at 20,000 signup. But, they tend to lag behind by a half day or so. It'll be super interesting though if the offer via referrals does NOT increase. Who would bother then, other than family/self-referrals, to keep the 10K referring bonanzas within the circle.

Update 10:30a ET - GCR's signup has been updated to reflect the higher 25,000 welcome bonus offer now...and same $30 cash rebate. Referred signups still stuck with 20,000 verbiage.

Update 1:45p ET - now the referred signup pages are also showing the higher 25,000 welcome bonus offer.
Anyone that's held SPG Personal before NOT get the sign-up bonus? Is it safer to apply for SPG Business instead? I've held SPG Personal ONCE - and that was about 2-3 years ago, right before they implemented the one bonus per app rule.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I'm a little confused about this promo - do you have to transfer Frequent Flyer points to get it - or just purchase it using your Marriott Points?

And it looks like you can purchase a package for any frequent flyer program of your choice - right?
No, you GET frequent flyer points from this promo. Yes, you choose, although you can see some are much better than others: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Do you know if you can get the travel package for anything lower than 200K? If not, is it worthwhile to buy points to take advantage of this promo if you stay at Marriott hotels a lot? I only have 46K Amex MRs - which wouldn't even come close to the 200K Marriott points I'd need to buy the package.
No, the lowest is 200k, but the real value is in the 120k airline point packages.

And if your package includes 7 nights - do they have to be consecutive at the same hotel - or is it 7 free nights anywhere (so I could book 7 single night stays)? And if you buy cat 5 - can you upgrade at the time of redemption to get a higher category stay?
You can book up to 7 consecutive nights at one location, doesn't mean you need to stay there all 7, but you must book all 7 consecutively and at one location. Yes, you can upgrade from cat5 after the fact!

Last edited by 604flyer; Jul 21, 2017 at 4:29 pm Reason: added info
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:58 am

At your BP's referring page, click on one of the other cards, such as the BG or PP. then look for the PG card icon at that page. Should ring up as 25K for your BP on a successful referral to PG.

Update: Uh oh...you're right. NO MORE REFERRING TO THE PERSONAL GOLD? Not even after you click on all the other card icons, and then the icons on those next pages, and so on, and so on, and so on.
This is terrible news.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I have a decision to make whether to renew (or not) the Aeroplan Plat card? I figure they are losing clients big time since AC divorced AP & redemptions became very difficult. Any recent retention offers? Fee waivers?
Whether or not to renew I think is a bit of a ways off. The divorce is far from final, and I personally find redemptions to be the same (or even better).
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Same thing, referral to personal gold gone from Business Plat referral options. Damn. That really sucks. I'm glad I got one more self-referral in a few months ago, but I was in the process of referring a bunch of other people... not anymore I guess. damn. SOME advance notice sure would've been nice, Amex.

edit: and for the record, the personal gold referral is also gone from the personal plat referral page, not just the business plat.

Last edited by Smiley90; Jul 22, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Same thing, referral to personal gold gone from Business Plat referral options. Damn. That really sucks. I'm glad I got one more self-referral in a few months ago, but I was in the process of referring a bunch of other people... not anymore I guess. damn. SOME advance notice sure would've been nice, Amex.

edit: and for the record, the personal gold referral is also gone from the personal plat referral page, not just the business plat.
It's also gone from the business gold page. I'm glad I was able to get in one last self-referral thanks to a few days prior notice on FT.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:27 pm
alc

Wow, no more referring to Personal Gold, that is actually going to help to make the decision to cancel my Biz Plat. Annual just kick in and I had been debating if I should keep it as I do have 3 Personal Gold line up from family members for the next 8 to 9 months.... so kind of thinking $399 for 75K. But now that it is gone, I will cancel it (after I use it for a lounge access later this week )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.