Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm a bit spooked. Applied for another personal gold and Amex called me to do the credit check-verification questions.

Is that a thing that happens? Should I be worried? They told me my info and knew I'd just applied and the number was definitely Amex's (I know that can be faked, but still). They asked me to confirm my personal info and then did the three multiple choice questions you usually do online to verify your identity.
It happens, not unusual. Nothing to be overly worried about.

So, on one hand, it's great that they called you to move your application along to the credit pull phase, meaning they didn't think to say/warn you that you're ineligible for another welcome bonus. You'll likely get approved for the card now. On the other hand, there is a (small) chance that someone looked at your file and 'ruined' your application bonus, but I doubt it. Good luck, and most likely CONGRATS!
Old May 19, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
It happens, not unusual. Nothing to be overly worried about.

So, on one hand, it's great that they called you to move your application along to the credit pull phase, meaning they didn't think to say/warn you that you're ineligible for another welcome bonus. You'll likely get approved for the card now. On the other hand, there is a (small) chance that someone looked at your file and 'ruined' your application bonus, but I doubt it. Good luck, and most likely CONGRATS!
i hope not - the agent who approved me confirmed I'll get the 25k welcome points without me asking and I'm hoping it stays that way! Fingers crossed! And yes I was approved instantly after finishing the questionnaire, was told so as well.

worst case I "only" get the 25k self-referral bonus from the business plat which isnt so bad
Old May 19, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
i hope not - the agent who approved me confirmed I'll get the 25k welcome points without me asking and I'm hoping it stays that way! Fingers crossed! And yes I was approved instantly after finishing the questionnaire, was told so as well.

worst case I "only" get the 25k self-referral bonus from the business plat which isnt so bad
Well, the agent is just making a general statement about the Personal Gold's 25K welcome bonus, not so much a confirmation, but we know what you mean.

Anyways, I just want to reinforce the message, that if you do spend $1500 on your new PG but do not see the 25K posting right away, just stay mum and wait patiently for them to post. Do NOT call and ask why you didn't get the welcome bonus after meeting the minimum spending. I know, I'm sounding like a broken '45, in the digital age.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:32 pm
alc

apologies if already mentioned in the past. I went into one of those Shoppers with Canada Posts in it. I know it will show up as "Shopper Drug Mart" from past experience and hence I used my Personal Gold Rewards card. But I didn't get the 2X on it, so, these terminal was program with a different category than the one from the beauty or main cashier.

Hope this help someone here.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:50 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I recently got a Business Plat and waited till the end of the 10 weeks to get the bonus points, emailed a CSR and they were deposited couple of days later.

Can you not refer to bus gold from bus plat anymore or am I missing a link somewhere (only shows referral for plat, no card choice at top right of web page)
Old May 20, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I recently got a Business Plat and waited till the end of the 10 weeks to get the bonus points, emailed a CSR and they were deposited couple of days later.

Can you not refer to bus gold from bus plat anymore or am I missing a link somewhere (only shows referral for plat, no card choice at top right of web page)
it definitely still works, just look closely for an "interested in another card" blurb
Old May 22, 2017, 2:16 pm

That is the thing, there is no other link I looked everywhere. I should be able to refer bus plat and bus gold from bus plat correct? I had to create another online account for my bus plat for some reason but the MR account is linked to my regular plat so it seems fine on that side. Weird.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is the thing, there is no other link I looked everywhere. I should be able to refer bus plat and bus gold from bus plat correct? I had to create another online account for my bus plat for some reason but the MR account is linked to my regular plat so it seems fine on that side. Weird.
I have a business plat and sent myself a referral link, when I click on "apply now" on it it looks like this:

with the other 3 cards at the bottom. Do you see something different?

I mean, I'll gladly send you my referral link () but it really should work.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:58 pm

Only Plat Referral link doesn't show Personal Gold (which is easily worked around by clicking other cards first)

Other cards - Biz Plat, Biz Gold - all showed 3 DIFFERENT/OTHER cards at bottom for me

not sure what the issue is without screenshot
Old May 22, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
Any blockers these days for getting a biz gold while holding a biz plat? This is for mrs MJ. I've done this in the past but I vaguely recall some chatter on here about this more recently that I haven't been able to dig up again.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:03 pm

OK, once I sent my self the link I had the same screenshot as Smiley90. What confused me is the selection is on the referral page itself (in the top right corner) for my personal cards. Thanks for the help,
Old May 23, 2017, 8:29 am

OK, once I sent my self the link I had the same screenshot as Smiley90. What confused me is the selection is on the referral page itself (in the top right corner) for my personal cards. Thanks for the help,
So apparently you haven't used the Refer a Friend page since the makeover from ~Mar 2017, when Amex overhauled it and presented its current look-and-feel. There is no longer an option to refer any other card other than your current card, or other cards in that card's family once you've visited your own card's signup launching page and then switching to another card similar card product (eg. Biz Plat MR signup page, look for and then switch to Personal Gold MR card signup). Rest assured though, that your Biz Plat MR source referring card will still get 25K bonus MR points for successful referrals to the other sister-MR cards in the family.

Bear in mind then that if you own more than one MR card product, then you should always refer from your best-earning referral card, ensuring that you get the maximum bonus points on a referral. I summarized it here earlier in this thread at this post (I see you had posted at that time as well, just a couple of days earlier ):

BTW, you don't need to send the link to yourself. On the new Refer a Friend page you can simply copy and paste the URL link that you see on the right side of the page, into a new browser window and then locate the 'other' card that you want to refer to. Once you open that new page, copy and paste that web pages URL to your friends.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Thx JJJ for being such an ongoing great resource for us in the hobby! These posts are Gold! Personal and Biz...
Just wanted to add my voice to the mix, JJJ you are the cream of the crop at FT, thank you thank you!
Old May 23, 2017, 11:10 am

Is there a limit on the number of Amex cards one can apply and get approved for within a certain period of time?
One of my family members applied for the Plat Biz card last month using my referral link, and is getting close to finishing the 5K spend requirement.
Once she is done with it, I am planing on referring her to one of the two SPG cards (personal or biz).
In this case, she would be applying for an SPG card approximately 1.5 months after applying for the Plat Biz card.
Is this a risky move?
If yes, does applying for the SPG personal card make a difference against applying for the SPG biz card, after getting the Plat Biz card?
I'm not sure if Amex will crack down on applications (and reject them) that were submitted one after another within a short period of time, so just wanted to check here first and be safe.
Thank you-!
Old May 23, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by gonebabygone
Just wanted to add my voice to the mix, JJJ you are the cream of the crop at FT, thank you thank you!

Trying my best to keep the streets clean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.