Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Re: AMEX Gold/Platinum charge card.

If I buy a refundable airfare ticket and hit the minimum spend in month 1 and get the signup bonus of membership reward points, and say in month 2 I get a full refund of the airfare ticket.

What happens to the signup bonus?
Old May 11, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Re: AMEX Gold/Platinum charge card.

If I buy a refundable airfare ticket and hit the minimum spend in month 1 and get the signup bonus of membership reward points, and say in month 2 I get a full refund of the airfare ticket.

What happens to the signup bonus?
ha, I literally asked the same thing last page.

You keep the rewards. I cancelled my refundable booking at kept them. I made it back above 5k anyway for the Biz Plat so if there's a delay in the claw-back I wouldn't have noticed, but I went above - got points - went back below and the points stayed.

I got an e-mail congratulating me for my welcome 40k points.

... the welcome bonus for the Biz Plat was 75k though...
Old May 11, 2017, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smiley90
ha, I literally asked the same thing last page.

You keep the rewards. I cancelled my refundable booking at kept them. I made it back above 5k anyway for the Biz Plat so if there's a delay in the claw-back I wouldn't have noticed, but I went above - got points - went back below and the points stayed.

I got an e-mail congratulating me for my welcome 40k points.

... the welcome bonus for the Biz Plat was 75k though...
I can see them not clawing back the bonus MR miles b/c they won't prorate the annual fee for refunds in year 1, however, I assume they would claw back the # of miles they awarded you for the transaction made for the refundable booking (which is fair)

What if you have a corporate linked membership rewards account. I wonder if they'll claw back the bonus miles since you technically still have a MR account which they can clawback....
Old May 11, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I can see them not clawing back the bonus MR miles b/c they won't prorate the annual fee for refunds in year 1, however, I assume they would claw back the # of miles they awarded you for the transaction made for the refundable booking (which is fair)

What if you have a corporate linked membership rewards account. I wonder if they'll claw back the bonus miles since you technically still have a MR account which they can clawback....
that of course happened, otherwise everyone would continuously just make refundable bookings for infinite MR...

and they COULD have easily clawed back my signup bonus once I went below 5k spend. But they didn't.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended

and they COULD have easily clawed back my signup bonus once I went below 5k spend. But they didn't.
Agreed they could have. My plan was to convert them all over to another frequent flier program prior to clawback but glad to hear they don't claw it back.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: *void
It may have worked for you this time, but I would say that this is not a guarantee. Twice I've done this and both times the welcome bonus was removed. I had to spend to re-exceed the minimum spend requirement and then the welcome bonus re-appeared. These all happened within the initial 3 month period.
Old May 13, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I was asking about this previously but nobody seems to really know much about it. There IS a website of Servisair lounges, found here:

http://www.executivelounges.com/

but... they also include "non-Servisair third party" lounges in their program so it's REALLY confusing.

Aspire lounges are definitely Servisair (/Swissport, since Servisair isn't actually a thing anymore) lounges so I'd count on those being included, but... the others, nobody seems to know. Here's a specific list of Aspire lounges:

http://www.executivelounges.com/aspire
Confusing. I have been able to get into the Calgary lounges. Not certain about all these aspire lounges in Europe. Does the Platinum Business cover these?

One other item to note, you have access into the Delta lounges (no guest) but only if flying on Delta.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Confusing. I have been able to get into the Calgary lounges. Not certain about all these aspire lounges in Europe. Does the Platinum Business cover these?

One other item to note, you have access into the Delta lounges (no guest) but only if flying on Delta.
I've used my regular platinum in an Aspire lounge in Europe before FWIW. If they accepted that because with a regular plat I SHOULD have Priority Pass access and they knew that and didn't bother asking or because the regular Plat gives the same Aspire access as the Business plat.... I don't know.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone quickly tell me what the referral signup bonus on the Aeroplan Reserve is? Regular signup is 50k and I can't seem to find anyone actually referring the Reserve in the signup-referral thread lol. Just curious if referral is any more than regular.
Old May 13, 2017, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
It may have worked for you this time, but I would say that this is not a guarantee. Twice I've done this and both times the welcome bonus was removed. I had to spend to re-exceed the minimum spend requirement and then the welcome bonus re-appeared. These all happened within the initial 3 month period.
Did you get your annual fee somehow refunded? I would be lived if they don't give me my annual fee back and take my welcome bonus away.

I guess I could just convert all my MR miles to another mileage program so if they do claw back the Welcome bonus and my MR account goes negative I'll cancel all of my MR related AMEX cards.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:16 am

In case anyone was wondering....

AMEX BANK OF CANADA
On October 25, 2016, Aimia and Amex Bank of Canada ("AMEX") extended the term of their existing agreements by one year to December 31, 2018

https://www.aimia.com/content/dam/ai...t_Final_EN.pdf
Old May 15, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
AmEx hedged wisely; I expect the agreement will be extended further but AmEx will likely want much better terms and I'm not sure AP could take another loss so will concede.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Mrs. 1011tristar applied for a couple cards online and after submitting the applications, just got a message that said only "Thank you" with a reference number. No pending or instant approvals messages just "Thank you". She has excellent credit and is normally approved instantly. I found this to be odd.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by 1011TriStar
Mrs. 1011tristar applied for a couple cards online and after submitting the applications, just got a message that said only "Thank you" with a reference number. No pending or instant approvals messages just "Thank you". She has excellent credit and is normally approved instantly. I found this to be odd.
That does seem odd.

We've seen two types of "pending" messages in our recent applications (Feb/Mar).
  1. Thank you for choosing American Express. We are unable to give you an instant decision at this time. Your application will be processed within 10 days. Questions? Call 1-800-565-0288 and quote reference number: XXXXXXX

2. Thank you for applying for SimplyCash Card from American Express. Your application is currently under review and will be completed within 10 days. If you have additional questions regarding the status of your application, please call the New Accounts Department at 1-800-575-2273, quoting application reference number: XXXXXXX

If she has excellent credit and is in a rush for the card then I'd suggest her to call Amex to push the application through. No need to wait. Should be easy for approval.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
That does seem odd.

We've seen two types of "pending" messages in our recent applications (Feb/Mar).
  1. Thank you for choosing American Express. We are unable to give you an instant decision at this time. Your application will be processed within 10 days. Questions? Call 1-800-565-0288 and quote reference number: XXXXXXX
  2. Thank you for applying for SimplyCash Card from American Express. Your application is currently under review and will be completed within 10 days. If you have additional questions regarding the status of your application, please call the New Accounts Department at 1-800-575-2273, quoting application reference number: XXXXXXX

If she has excellent credit and is in a rush for the card then I'd suggest her to call Amex to push the application through. No need to wait. Should be easy for approval.
I have applied for 3 AMEX in past 2 months and referred 3, none instant approved even with excellent credit and perfect AMEX payment history. All received option 2 above from JJJ. New or existing cardholders, both got same.

All called the new accounts line, no issues with application approved over phone. On my 3rd app AMEX called me at home AND at work... fraud prevention department, making sure it was me signing up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.