Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: KF, MP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by SkyHarbor
I noticed a change today. The notice now reads:

We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.

This is a new notice, at least for me.
yes i got the same notice too...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkyHarbor
I noticed a change today. The notice now reads:

We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.

This is a new notice, at least for me.
Thanks, I called in 2 days ago to complaint and the guy in the Philippines was like "Sir we already wrote this up many times, we're not gonna do it again."

I told him either write it up or transfer me to someone that will. Few minutes later done or at least I hope he did.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
With the gift registry under maintenance what are peoples plans starting January 1 for their $200 AMEX UA credit? The past few years I deposited the $200 in the first week of January and was always reimbursed quickly . However with the current footnotes of under maintenance I'm concerned if it's really going to come back in early 2018. So what are your plans I'm confused…
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:06 pm

I called as well...

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Thanks, I called in 2 days ago to complaint and the guy in the Philippines was like "Sir we already wrote this up many times, we're not gonna do it again."

I told him either write it up or transfer me to someone that will. Few minutes later done or at least I hope he did.
I don't know how much of this is new to folks here but I wanted to share what I learned in my marathon (1.5hr) call today to United:
  • UA customer service is pretty clueless and it takes a lot of patience to get to someone who will actually listen to you and process what you are asking.
  • I had missing credits in my united.com club (anything after Nov 15). You might want to check yours too.
  • united.com club and the gift registry are two different but related things. The gift Registry is the feature that is offline.
  • The gift registry feature is "under re-evaluation" according the web team. None of the 5 people I talked to seemed to have any clue what the future of the gift registry will be. They all seemed skeptical about its future. Lets hope they are wrong.
  • It took persistence to get an staff on the phone that even know what the gift registry is. It took even more effort to find someone who was willing to file a report about the desire for the gift registry to be fixed and brought back. They claimed to have no knowledge of anyone even bringing this to their attention. I would recommend more of us here to call and register your vote.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
With the gift registry under maintenance what are peoples plans starting January 1 for their $200 AMEX UA credit? The past few years I deposited the $200 in the first week of January and was always reimbursed quickly . However with the current footnotes of under maintenance I'm concerned if it's really going to come back in early 2018. So what are your plans I'm confused…
I'm still holding out that UA will get the gift registry back up and running, maybe in the first quarter. If not, I'll just upgrade my seats to Econ+. Gonna have to fly at least 2 round trips to exhaust the $200 credit.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Wireless works.
Caveat - I have only used Panasonic (never gogo).

Last edited by aacharya; Dec 15, 2017 at 8:28 am
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:39 am

guys, i am stuck and have not used the benefit yet. Does it expire on 12/31 or still have some grace period? Any other ways to use the benefit?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by troyhouse
guys, i am stuck and have not used the benefit yet. Does it expire on 12/31 or still have some grace period? Any other ways to use the benefit?
Wow. I called AMEX and the CSR did the override and change the Airline to Delta. Great, gonna get some certs now
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:08 pm

Snacks

Has anyone ever purchased a bunch of snack boxes? My kids love them and I have 1 flight left this year. I'm thinking I could by 5 - 10 of them and just bring them home.

Also, how about drinks in the United lounge? I usually stick with the free ones but I could easily buy Jack instead.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by th3w01f
Has anyone ever purchased a bunch of snack boxes? My kids love them and I have 1 flight left this year. I'm thinking I could by 5 - 10 of them and just bring them home.

Also, how about drinks in the United lounge? I usually stick with the free ones but I could easily buy Jack instead.
in my experience premium drinks bought in the UA club with my personal platinum card are not reimbursed.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Online chatted with Amex and changed airline from UA to WN on Dec 12 night, super easy and quick. Minutes later bought $200 Southwest eGift card and last night I got $200 credit back.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by texaggie2007

in my experience premium drinks bought in the UA club with my personal platinum card are not reimbursed.
That's unfortunate.... looks like it's a bunch of food off the cart for me.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
With the gift registry under maintenance what are peoples plans starting January 1 for their $200 AMEX UA credit? ... So what are your plans I'm confused…
We shall see. Personally I might be making a move early in the new year and splitting my time between Houston and Atlanta-ish, so if I do that I'll just switch to Delta. At this point I'm just thrilled that I got my $200 for 2017 through the gift registry before it went down.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:29 pm

With the registry down and United having their own wifi instead of Gogo on most of their planes, the value of my Platinum has really changed a lot. I got my credit in January this year, hopefully the registry is back up before I have to decide an airline for 2018. But flying out of SBA it's almost always United anyway. Not sure what to do now.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
As noted in the Wiki the registry seems to be coming back in early 2018. Its included in the text on the website. I don't remember seeing that before. But I wasn't looking closely. Doesn't help for 2017, but good news for 2018!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.