Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
"Technically, the approved items are:

Checked baggage fees
Overweight/oversize baggage fees
Change fees
Phone reservation fees
Pet flight fees
Airport lounge day passes and annual memberships
Seat assignment fees
In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, etc)
In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet)"

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/choos...ne-fee-credit/

Good enough or should "someone confirm" for you?
thanks for the narrative and the link to TPG, However I haven't read in any thread that a club membership being recognized for the AMEX reimbursement thus my question seeking fellow Flyertalkers to confirm. Happy holidays
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

thanks for the narrative and the link to TPG, However I haven't read in any thread that a club membership being recognized for the AMEX reimbursement thus my question seeking fellow Flyertalkers to confirm. Happy holidays
I can confirm that buying an annual United Club membership is eligible for the fee reimbursement. I just bought one the other day and was reimbursed $200 from AmEx!
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by makavel
I can confirm that buying an annual United Club membership is eligible for the fee reimbursement. I just bought one the other day and was reimbursed $200 from AmEx!
Thank you so much for the confirmation! I was totally unaware, and if for some reason the travel bank is not up and runningin the first quarter of the new year I may take that route..happy holidays and safe travels
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:49 pm

On mobile and can't easily search. Can the credit be used for mileage booster or pqm purchases?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by joder
On mobile and can't easily search. Can the credit be used for mileage booster or pqm purchases?
No.
joder likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have $177 left to use by the end of the year.

I am AC*G (so things like lounge access are useless).

I have no UA flights in the next 5 days.

Is there anything I can do?

Or should I just buy a bunch of day passes?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
switched airlines other day

Had no problems switching airlines. Didn’t use any of 200 on United
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have $177 left to use by the end of the year.

I am AC*G (so things like lounge access are useless).

I have no UA flights in the next 5 days.

Is there anything I can do?

Or should I just buy a bunch of day passes?

Wait, UA Travel Bank funds expire? It doesn't indicate on my account when they expire.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wco81
Wait, UA Travel Bank funds expire? It doesn't indicate on my account when they expire.
Where did you read that UA TravelBank funds expire? I interpret the post you quoted from canadiancow as meaning that the member has $177 in AMEX airline fee reimbursement credit that will expire by 31 December if not used, not that any UA TravelBank funds are expiring.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: United Airlines MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Where did you read that UA TravelBank funds expire? I interpret the post you quoted from canadiancow as meaning that the member has $177 in AMEX airline fee reimbursement credit that will expire by 31 December if not used, not that any UA TravelBank funds are expiring.
Seems like funds expire 18 months after last activity.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/US/fly...avel-bank.html
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Crap, gotta remember to use the Travel Bank whenever I buy a ticket.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shaker58
Had no problems switching airlines. Didn’t use any of 200 on United
I chatted with them and said I paid for a checked bag fee each way on each of my ticket purchases, even though I didn't. You can just say you paid for it when you booked the ticket. Since I had more than 4 United bookings this calendar year, the $200 credit was applied with ease.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:49 am

Based on recent data points, I decided to upgrade to E+ for a flight to Europe next summer. The total cost was a little under $150. I checked and my AMEX Plat credit was never processed. The charge came in from United Airlines and on the description it said it was a preferred seat upgrade. I started a chat with a CSR and she said it was not eligible. CSR sent me a list of some of the more common eligible expenses and one listed was seat assignment fees. I argued the upgrade from E to E+ was a seat assignment fee. She countered that the seat assignment fee has to be within the same booking class. I let her know that with United you have to buy a E ticket and then upgrade to E+. I completely understand her point if I was upgrading from E to business or first class. She told me she would start an investigation (can take 4 weeks). I welcome any thoughts here if I am wrong here.

Thanks

Last edited by rovitm; Dec 28, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:25 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by rovitm
Based on recent data points, I decided to upgrade to E+ for a flight to Europe next summer. The total cost was a little under $150. I checked and my AMEX Plat credit was never processed. The charge came in from United Airlines and on the description it said it was a preferred seat upgrade. I started a chat with a CSR and she said it was not eligible. CSR sent me a list of some of the more common eligible expenses and one listed was seat assignment fees. I argued the upgrade from E to E+ was a seat assignment fee. She countered that the seat assignment fee has to be within the same booking class. I let her know that with United you have to buy a E ticket and then upgrade to E+. I completely understand her point if I was upgrading from E to business or first class. She told me she would start an investigation (can take 4 weeks). I welcome any thoughts here if I am wrong here.

Thanks
In the past, IIRC this fee reimbursement has been denied. However, now that both AA and DL are both selling true Premium Economy cabins, it’s a fair argument that UA’s E+ really is a seat assignment fee for just a few extra inches of space within the same cabin.

Wishing you luck with the “investigation” outcome!

CLG
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:16 am

Just bought 2 passes for $118. Unfortunately to get 3 would have been $177 and I only had $175 remaining with AMEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.