Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfo3388
I have a UA $300 change fee posted on 1/15. Had a chat with online agent today. The agent asked me to chat back in 14 days. Should I just call?

This is under flight details:
Passenger Name: (last name) /CHANGE FEE
Date of Departure: 02/15
Ticket Number: 016xxxxxxxxxxx
Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION
That's exactly what both of mine looked like. I'm guessing you will have to call eventually. Personally I'd probably wait 14 days just to take that issue off the table.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
Guys, you’re all getting bent out of shape for nothing over this TravelBank stuff. Book a ticket with whatever credit card you want on United. Wait 10 minutes for the ticket to confirm. Then, add a pet for $125 each way and pay with your Amex. Wait an hour or so. Cancel ticket (pet charges cancel automatically at the same time. Watch your Amex for a credit a day or two later.

NB that you can’t book a pet on all flights. Try routes with ERJ 145s since they don’t have a first class cabin. I find that works best.
TAHKUCT and Shadow Rider like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Amex will reimburse for fees you cancel and get refunds on?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Amex will reimburse for fees you cancel and get refunds on?
yes. Isn’t that the whole point?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
$212 E+ seat purchase 1/23
charge posted 1/25
$200 credit posted 1/26

Under flight details:
Passenger Name: (last name)/ECONOMY PLUS S
Date of Departure: xx/xx
Ticket Number: 016xxxx...
Document Type: PREFERRED SEAT UPGRADE
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by mc0107
Guys, you’re all getting bent out of shape for nothing over this TravelBank stuff. Book a ticket with whatever credit card you want on United. Wait 10 minutes for the ticket to confirm. Then, add a pet for $125 each way and pay with your Amex. Wait an hour or so. Cancel ticket (pet charges cancel automatically at the same time. Watch your Amex for a credit a day or two later.

NB that you can’t book a pet on all flights. Try routes with ERJ 145s since they don’t have a first class cabin. I find that works best.
How can you add a pet after a ticketed booking?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by merridius
$212 E+ seat purchase 1/23
charge posted 1/25
$200 credit posted 1/26

Under flight details:
most of the people here have status so they wouldn't be buying E+.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wco81

most of the people here have status so they wouldn't be buying E+.
Only if UA is their primary airline. I have status on AA, but not on AS, DL or UA. It can pay to select your secondary airline for this benefit.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Hi All,

Looks like the gift registry page is still down... Do we still have time to change the airline? If not, sigh...
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hi All,

Looks like the gift registry page is still down... Do we still have time to change the airline? If not, sigh...
You have till 1/31/18 to make this change
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
How can you add a pet after a ticketed booking?
when you view your booking, you'll see a link under your name where you can add a pet.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by mc0107

This worked for me. Amex fee credit posted 4 days after UA transaction, which was on a Saturday.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by adlibitum
This worked for me. Amex fee credit posted 4 days after UA transaction, which was on a Saturday.
So when you canceled ticket and got a refund from United, did they credit you one lump charge that was the cost of the ticket and the pet fee?

Otherwise they would credit you cost of pet fee and AMEX could reverse your credit.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hi All,

Today is your last chance. AA allows 2x$100 GCs, DL allows 4x$50 GCs (but only 3 GC redemptions per booking). I get why you'd want to stay on UA, but if $200 covers a flight somewhere on a different carrier, you can still switch today.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Today is your last chance. .....
In practice we can change later in the year if there have been no expenses reimbursed in 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.