Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
Gift registry also. Purchase 3/12, reimburse 3/23 ^
I'm new to the AMEX Platinum. How does the gift registry work - what can you purchase there, just United GC's? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the 50% back on the selected airline through AMEX? How are people using this?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amelen
I'm new to the AMEX Platinum. How does the gift registry work - what can you purchase there, just United GC's? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the 50% back on the selected airline through AMEX? How are people using this?
Did you read the Wiki? It's like a gift card, but the difference is it goes directly into your MileagePlus account, so it's not easily transferable like buying a Delta/AA/etc gift card, and then you can use the Gift Registry (also called travel bank) funds towards future flights.

The 50% back is only on the Business Platinum card, so for people like me with the Personal Plat, it doesn't matter. Being Houston based, I have enough revenue United flights every year that I burn through the $200 easily.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
just deposited $200 more to my existing $100 travel bank balance, so I should have $300 total.

when i login, it says $100 available balance, $300 total balance.

it only lets me use $100 "available" balance at checkout...

anybody know what the deal is or how long it takes from total balance to become available balance? TIA
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flymax77
anybody know what the deal is or how long it takes from total balance to become available balance? TIA
Check back tomorrow. IME gift registry funds are never immediately available, it takes an overnight cycle or two. BTW, this is in the wiki but the wiki only refers to "new gift registry" while I've found it holds true to existing ones.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Hmmm I was able to make the contribution without any problem. My issue is booking the ticket. If I click the link to manage my gift registry and then try to buy the ticket that way, I get an error. If I just go through a normal process on united.com, there isn't a clear way (that I can see) to actually specify to use gift registry funds. Help!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Did you read the Wiki? It's like a gift card, but the difference is it goes directly into your MileagePlus account, so it's not easily transferable like buying a Delta/AA/etc gift card, and then you can use the Gift Registry (also called travel bank) funds towards future flights.
+1 Welcome to FT amelen ^ make sure you give the Wiki a read- this use of the airline credit may not be what you are looking for......or it may be, just make sure you know what you are getting into.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:44 pm

$200 registry (one shot) posted 3/29, credited 3/31.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
Gift registry also. Purchase 3/12, reimburse 3/23 ^
so just to clarify.. whatever i put into the gift registry i can use towards future tickets correct? also, what are the recommended increment amounts?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hy2633
so just to clarify.. whatever i put into the gift registry i can use towards future tickets correct? also, what are the recommended increment amounts?
yes you can. Travel for anyone. You can do the $200 in 1 go.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:29 am

99% sure, but just to check so I don't do something stupid.

Myself and my wife both have a plat. We can add all $400 to one registry (for ease of redemption) and it shouldn't be a problem, right?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shinypenny01
99% sure, but just to check so I don't do something stupid.

Myself and my wife both have a plat. We can add all $400 to one registry (for ease of redemption) and it shouldn't be a problem, right?
Right!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
is it possible to use gift registry funds AND an e-cert on the same ticket?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: SQ Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire RA
Datapoint: Purchased E+ for $204, 2 days later I was reimbursed for $100 (Amex Gold)
Posted as: PREFERRED SEAT UPGRADE
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:46 am

Do you think AMEX would entertain the idea of letting us make a one-time re-selection of the designated airline at this point in the year if that airline is United?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by princesakura
Do you think AMEX would entertain the idea of letting us make a one-time re-selection of the designated airline at this point in the year if that airline is United?
Why don't you call and ask? No matter what nobody on this forum can fix it for you..worst case they say no right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.