Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rasheed
A list of multi-location physical retailers that appear to have not properly implemented AmEx contactless (physical card contactless/tap). Usually, this means the tap was accepted (some type of beep), but the response comes back as either Not Authorized/Not Recognized or to specifically insert the chip. We can remove or cross-out as the issue is resolved/fixed.

New Balance retail stores (7/2019)
Delta Galil retail stores (7/2019)
Kroger supermarkets (7/2019)

In most cases, especially the metal contactless, the "back-side" of the card must be placed closest to the screen or green lights area for the contactless chip signal to be triggered and read.
Print Wikipost

American Express USA contactless cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Problem with that solution is the foreign transaction fee. The USA-issued plastic contactless cards with no foreign fee are Premier Rewards Gold, Starwood (both personal and business) and (I think) various Delta and Hilton cards.
Yup, but as this was just on The Tube, the actual fares were so small that I was OK taking the hit. Believe Apple Pay works on The Tube - will try that next time.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
I tried both my physical SPG AmEx and my CSR in Apple Pay while I was there in late October and honestly, they both took about the same amount of time to read and open the gates. I pre-authenticated myself before getting to the gate, though, so I can see it taking extra time if someone didn't bother doing that first.
Sorry if this sounds clueless of me, but I had thought U. S. visa cards on mobile devices didn't work, only Mastercard?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Sorry if this sounds clueless of me, but I had thought U. S. visa cards on mobile devices didn't work, only Mastercard?
That used to be the case but not anymore. That's not to say there aren't still weird issues if you try to use a Visa there (namely, having no travel history appear on TfL's website).
Old May 17, 2018, 5:56 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Exclamation Amex Business Platinum contactless metal card now available

I called in to request the contactless version and it looks like they finally have it available, like it has been for the personal version. It appears that this delayed roll-out for the business version following the personal, is consistent with the lag time involved when they first made the metal versions available for both of these cards. Hopefully the $100 increase in the AF doesn't follow as well lol. They will overnight it and should arrive on Saturday.
forumpersona999 and levilevi like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:50 am

this is basically to "tap" the card on those POS readers, where you see the ))) logo (kinda like wifi indicator on iOS on its side)?
Old May 21, 2018, 2:06 pm

Good news is that Android Pay works at all the same terminals so don't even need the card to pay.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:08 pm

Correct to both.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
Good news is that Android Pay works at all the same terminals so don't even need the card to pay.
Yeah I was thinking this - I've got it on Apply Pay also, so wasn't sure my use for the contactless feature, although always good to know and good to have a backup!
Old May 21, 2018, 10:46 pm

Update - shipping out a contactless card is apparently too much for these clowns in customer service. Got the second UPS overnight today and both of the replacements were identical to my original card. Now they're saying contactless not yet available for the Business Platinum, but should be available "shortly". When requesting the replacement card, I'm wondering what exactly it is that they see on their screen. How can they not know that contactless isn't an option? Were they just hoping that a contactless card would ship out by willing it? Weird.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
....contactless not yet available for the Business Platinum, but should be available "shortly". .....
Contactless has not been available on any Business card, metal or plastic, aside from Blue for Business and Starwood Business. Scroll to the bottom of this page:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ess/index.html

I know this list is stale because it is now also offered on the Hilton Business card, but I twice ordered Blue Business Plus with contactless, and received standard cards without the feature.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Contactless has not been available on any Business card, metal or plastic, aside from Blue for Business and Starwood Business. Scroll to the bottom of this page:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ess/index.html

I know this list is stale because it is now also offered on the Hilton Business card, but I twice ordered Blue Business Plus with contactless, and received standard cards without the feature.
Wow, I'm glad you mentioned that Blue for Business Plus is not available with contactless, as I was going to try to order one. I sure hope they add the feature sometime soon.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My recently ordered Platinum contactless card showed up today. I had wanted one after I got back from Australia and my only contactless card was a Citi Costco card. Besides the ))) symbol on the back there are a couple of very minor differences. It feels a little bit lighter and a bit more bendable than the normal card, though still more rigid than a CSR/CSP. Also the back side of the card is a matte finish vs. the shiny finish on the normal card with the same underlying design. Also the chip on the front is a bit larger.

Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:02 am
Suspended

As others have said, using your phone is much easier and you can keep the card in your pocket.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

really confusing

prior to 2015 my starwood contactless didnt even have to come out of my wallet, i held my wallet up and it automatically read

now with brand new metal plat contactless, so far i have only gotten it to work once (not in wallet)

has there been some kind of change to system and or is there some kind of method and location now ?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
really confusing

prior to 2015 my starwood contactless didnt even have to come out of my wallet, i held my wallet up and it automatically read

now with brand new metal plat contactless, so far i have only gotten it to work once (not in wallet)

has there been some kind of change to system and or is there some kind of method and location now ?
I feel like this is more due to the card being metal than any sort of change to the contactless feature in general. Do you currently have any other AmEx cards with contactless that you can try?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.