FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express USA contactless cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1748409-american-express-usa-contactless-cards.html)

Analise Jan 14, 2016 2:32 pm

American Express USA contactless cards

AMEX just replaced my pin/signature card. This new card is "contactless". Will this contactless functionality from a US American Express card be accepted in London like in the Tube?

tmiw Jan 14, 2016 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 26019432)
AMEX just replaced my pin/signature card. This new card is "contactless". Will this contactless functionality from a US American Express card be accepted in London like in the Tube?

It should be accepted in the Tube, yes. Apple/Android Pay with US AmEx cards might have issues though because they don't transmit the data required by the Tube.

mia Jan 14, 2016 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 26019432)
... new card is "contactless". Will this contactless functionality from a US American Express card be accepted in London like in the Tube?

Yes. You can use the card to pay for each journey on the London Underground. No need to purchase an Oystercard. Is this a Starwood Preferred Guest card or another type?

Analise Jan 17, 2016 9:58 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 26020451)
Yes. You can use the card to pay for each journey on the London Underground. No need to purchase an Oystercard. Is this a Starwood Preferred Guest card or another type?

No, just a simple gold card. In fact, AMEX has offered to reimburse all of my financial transaction fees associated with using AMEX overseas. I do have an Oyster card anyway. Are there benefits of using the AMEX directly instead of the Oyster? I'll be in England for 5 days in April. Will using AMEX directly, for example, still have the daily cap like Oyster does?

mia Jan 17, 2016 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 26032400)
... gold card....

This is the first report I have seen of a USA-issued charge card with the contactless feature.

Provided you use the same physical card for each journey, the London Underground billing is capped daily when using a contactless payment card, same as if you were using an Oystercard. You will see a single charge on your credit card for each day, not for for each journey.

The primary advantage is simplicity. One less card to keep track of. The tradeoff is that you need to keep your credit card readily accessible.

Analise Jan 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 26033617)
This is the first report I have seen of a USA-issued charge card with the contactless feature.

I didn't even request it. I needed AMEX to replace my current card while keeping the same card # as the card was wearing out. When I received it the following day, I saw the contactless logo on the back of the card and verified with AMEX that it indeed is a contactless card.

Provided you use the same physical card for each journey, the London Underground billing is capped daily when using a contactless payment card, same as if you were using an Oystercard. You will see a single charge on your credit card for each day, not for for each journey.

The primary advantage is simplicity. One less card to keep track of. The tradeoff is that you need to keep your credit card readily accessible.
Thanks, mia.

mia Jan 17, 2016 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 26033649)
... I saw the contactless logo on the back of the card and verified with AMEX that it indeed is a contactless card.

I just ordered a contactless replacement Platinum Card for Ms mia. Thank you for posting about the possibility.

tmiw Jan 17, 2016 3:43 pm

I wonder what triggers AmEx to send a contactless card if there's not already one on the account. My mom recently got a Blue Cash card (to soon replace the Costco one) and it's EMV only, for instance.

baccarat_king Jan 18, 2016 5:33 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 26033726)
I just ordered a contactless replacement Platinum Card for Ms mia. Thank you for posting about the possibility.

I did not even realise it was an option, until I requested a supplemental (Platinum-NL) card for my son a few months ago. Card came with the contactless functionality.

TAHKUCT Jan 18, 2016 5:59 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 26033726)

Please report if it is only a contactless or does also have a chip and signature ability? Thanks

baccarat_king Jan 18, 2016 6:01 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT (Post 26036410)
Please report if it is only a contactless or does also have a chip and signature ability? Thanks

I always thought there was a purchase (maximum) threshold for using contactless. (at least, there is on my debit card) In any event, there are times it does not work, and you need to "fall-back" on inserting your card.

mia Jan 18, 2016 9:03 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT (Post 26036410)
Please report if it is only a contactless or does also have a chip and signature ability?

I already have a Starwood Preferred Guest credit card (USA) which has Contactless, EMV (Chip & Signature) and a magnetic stripe.

tmiw Jan 18, 2016 9:11 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king (Post 26036414)
I always thought there was a purchase (maximum) threshold for using contactless. (at least, there is on my debit card) In any event, there are times it does not work, and you need to "fall-back" on inserting your card.

That really depends on the country. The US for instance has no upper limit for contactless, but that might be okay since contactless is predominantly phone-based here.

mia Jan 28, 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 26037242)
I already have a Starwood Preferred Guest credit card (USA) which has Contactless, EMV (Chip & Signature) and a magnetic stripe.

The personal Platinum Card also has Contactless, EMV (Chip & Signature) as well as a magnetic stripe.

American Express has updated this PAGE to explain which cards can be ordered with the Contactless feature:

Contactless chip is currently available on the majority of Consumer products (excluding Delta, Hilton, Costco and JetBlue), and the following Small Business Cards: Blue for Business® Credit Card and Starwood Guest® Business Credit Card.
This means Contactless should be per available on all current personal cards except Delta and Hilton, but only on two Business cards. I did try to order a Platinum Business card with Contactless, but not available.

If you want a card with Contactless -and- No Foreign Transaction Fee there are only these:

• Platinum Card (personal)
  • Premier Rewards Gold (personal)
  • Gold Card from American Express (personal, poor value)
  • Starwood credit card (personal or business)

Contactless is attractive when making small purchases in Chip & PIN countries because there is no need to sign, your card is processed just like the locals.

stimpy Jan 28, 2016 11:38 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 26095259)
This means Contactless should be per available on all current personal cards except Delta and Hilton, but only on two Business cards. I did try to order a Platinum Business card with Contactless, but not available.

Well no not all. The site says the majority of personal cards. I don't see it available for Centurion for instance, right?