Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:36 am

Did Delta return the taxes and fees if you cancel within 24 hr on an award ticket?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gosocks5
Did Delta return the taxes and fees if you cancel within 24 hr on an award ticket?
Yes.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: United 1P
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Seventy-two hours if you purchase an e-gift card online; twenty-four hours if you purchase a physical gift card at a retail store.
I purchased a e-gift card online and received the card number yesterday at 9:50am. It is now 4:50pm and I successfully used the e-gift card to purchase a ticket. It seems that the limit is 24 hours now.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by kgkg
I purchased a e-gift card online and received the card number yesterday at 9:50am. It is now 4:50pm and I successfully used the e-gift card to purchase a ticket. It seems that the limit is 24 hours now.
Thanks for that update. I just purchased a couple of gift cards yesterday and the 72 hour "warning" was still in effect on the DL website when I purchased them.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Seat selections do.
Do any purchases in Lounges(Centurian or Skymiles) get reimbursed if flying Delta and its your designated airline?
Assume any purchases in lounges are billed as delta.com.
Just purchased an award ticket and 48 hours later was reimbursed $61.13 on award ticket. It was billed delta.com.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by euromannn
Do any purchases in Lounges(Centurian or Skymiles) get reimbursed if flying Delta and its your designated airline?
Just purchased an award ticket and 48 hours later was reimbursed $61.13 on award ticket. It was billed delta.com.
The $29 guest pass I charged to my Platinum Amex last year was reimbursed.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by euromannn
Centurion lounges are run by Amex and have nothing to do with DL. You should not expect any purchase in a Centurion lounge to trigger the DL (or any other airline) credit being discussed in this thread.

DL SkyClub access charges should be reimbursed but I believe purchases at the bar or spa may be YMMV, as they sometimes post as charges to the catering vendor (Aramark or something for example).
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:50 am

The reservation was $786... the first $600 paid with GC and the rest on my Amex Plat. My account showed the charge as "additional collection" and I was credited for $186 three days later.

I purchased a $500 GC and after 96 hours it still wasn't activated. When I tried to book a flight, I received an error asking me to wait 72 hours before using a GC. I called the reservation desk and the CSR escalated internally but came back with a suggestion to wait another day. She put my reservation on hold and the next day I was able to use the GC to complete the booking.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:38 pm

If Gift Card Mandatory for Credit

I see that gift cards being applied to the order will trigger the credit if the remaining CC is probably under $200.
Will the credit still be applied if no gift card is used at around that amount?

Did you guys use Delta's website used or Amex's?

Last one, if I purchase a flight from a partner airline with Delta like Virgin Atlantic, would that credit be applied?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by kschnell
I see that gift cards being applied to the order will trigger the credit if the remaining CC is probably under $200.
Will the credit still be applied if no gift card is used at around that amount?

Did you guys use Delta's website used or Amex's?

Last one, if I purchase a flight from a partner airline with Delta like Virgin Atlantic, would that credit be applied?
Welcome to FT! Note that some long-running information threads, and often ones that are based on crowd-sourced data points, have a wiki at the top of the thread (or if you are using the clunky mobile interface, unfortunately you have to use the << button to scroll back to page 1 in order to see the wiki) distilling or summarizing what is known.

In this case

- it doesn't have to be a gift card per se, anything that gets processed by Delta's systems as an exchange plus an additional collection using your credit card should trigger the credit (subject to the squishy-and-not-quite-pinned-down cap on the amount). This includes things like bump vouchers and residual funds from previous tickets that were canceled/being changed.

- it does need to be a transaction posted as being charged by Delta. So booking directly at Virgin Atlantic won't work, and if by "Delta's website or Amex's" you mean booking through AMEX Travel, I don't think that will work either because in my experience although it initially posts as delta.com, when the charge is captured it switches to AMEX Travel (and didn't earn 5x). I'm less confident about this last bit though so maybe someone will correct me.
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:51 pm

Miles + Cash?

Anyone know of DPs on Miles + Cash ticket purchases? For example I see a short 1-way fare for $105 total or 500 miles + $95, will using the Miles + Cash option trigger the credit?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by baleron
Anyone know of DPs on Miles + Cash ticket purchases? For example I see a short 1-way fare for $105 total or 500 miles + $95, will using the Miles + Cash option trigger the credit?
I don't know, but if those are the actual numbers, then for $10 difference and a 2cpm redemption I'd personally find it worth doing even if it doesn't get reimbursed, and then I'd have a data point to contribute to the thread too @:-)
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by gooselee
Centurion lounges are run by Amex and have nothing to do with DL. You should not expect any purchase in a Centurion lounge to trigger the DL (or any other airline) credit being discussed in this thread.

DL SkyClub access charges should be reimbursed but I believe purchases at the bar or spa may be YMMV, as they sometimes post as charges to the catering vendor (Aramark or something for example).
I have attempted to activate the credit twice for purchases at the bar at SkyClubs in NYC (one at LGA, one at JFK) and have not been reimbursed. Both times, the charge coded as a restaurant (and I earned 4x as I was paying with an Amex gold). This is disappointing as American Airlines bar purchases at SkyClubs seem to trigger the credit
RobertF14 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Taking a step back, I’m writing off these airline credits as basically zero value. With the recent changes, and the restrictions even when engaging with the airline (no upgrade reimbursement), they are too difficult to use. I still get enough value from the Platinum and Gold to keep them, but the math changes a bit. It certainly does change the math in terms of Reserve vs Amex Platinum - the Reserve starts to look like a better value...
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Taking a step back, I’m writing off these airline credits as basically zero value. With the recent changes, and the restrictions even when engaging with the airline (no upgrade reimbursement), they are too difficult to use. I still get enough value from the Platinum and Gold to keep them, but the math changes a bit. It certainly does change the math in terms of Reserve vs Amex Platinum - the Reserve starts to look like a better value...
Concur. I've already cancelled my Gold card because I don't consider it worth $250/annually since the airline credit can no longer be easily consumed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.