Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM
One interesting datapoint.

Booked a Delta Vacations pack, paid partly with 28500 miles, 89.93$ with Amex Plat which had 120$ left of credit.

The CC Charge posted on the 3rd, showing as "DELTA VACATIONS 877-628-2284 ND", shows coded as "Travel - Travel Agencies".
Got 89.93$ as Credit on Sept 5th.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:32 am
GK8

Programs: Most of 'em
Originally Posted by doudou91
One interesting datapoint.

Booked a Delta Vacations pack, paid partly with 28500 miles, 89.93$ with Amex Plat which had 120$ left of credit.

The CC Charge posted on the 3rd, showing as "DELTA VACATIONS 877-628-2284 ND", shows coded as "Travel - Travel Agencies".
Got 89.93$ as Credit on Sept 5th.
Nice, thanks for the data point!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:03 pm

Smile deltashop.com/

Has anyone tried to use the Amex travel credit on www. deltashop .com?

I thought this might be a creative way to get rid of the credit...
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:25 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This site does not appear to be operated by Delta Airlines, and I would not expect the card to be run on Delta's merchant account.

All sales made by The Icebox - Cool Stuff, LLC ("Seller") to you ("Customer") are governed by these Terms and Conditions of Sale unless otherwise indicated by The Icebox in writing.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:27 pm

Data Point:

9/3 - Purchased Delta Ticket with $50 GC and $165 on AMEX

9/5 - Charge switched from PENDING to POSTED

9/6 - Reimbursement Posted for full $165
Statman, akr1970akr and sheri723 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by liwaya
Guys, I need your suggestions here:
As everyone knows, when we book tickets on Delta, Delta will charge in the currency of the country of departure. For example, I want to book a ticket from Shanghai to New York, and Delta will charge in RMB. (Ref: delta__dot__com/us/en/booking-information/fare-classes-and-tickets/ticket-currencies)
My questions:
1. If Delta charges in RMB and I pay it with AMEX card, can I get reimbursement? Since it will NOT be charged by Delta US company.
2. If the answer is NO, I can't get reimbursement, what can I do correctly so that I can get it?
Thank you guys if you can help here.
Datapoint:
1. Sep 4, I bought a returnable ticket of $821.30, with GC $575 and Hilton Aspire $246.3
2. Sep 4, I called the Delta call center and changed the ticket to another one, and charged me the price difference of $51.93 with Hilton Aspire
3. Both the transactions were posted on Sep 6, with Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION
4. Sep 7, the meter moved and shows that You have used all of your $250 Airline Fee Credit for this year.
sheri723 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:55 pm

Comfort+ selection still work?

Originally Posted by Joel16
Does buying a Comfort+ upgrade get reimbursed? Would I have to purchase it after purchasing a main cabin ticket already?
Can anyone confirm success with selecting a comfort+ seat and paying the $99 recently? or failure?

Last edited by shiframeir; Sep 8, 2019 at 10:04 pm Reason: clarity
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by shiframeir
Can anyone confirm success with selecting a comfort+ seat and paying the $99 recently? or failure?
i've read multiple points of people having success with this, but with many only getting the reimbursement after chatting with Amex - it doesn't seem to be automatically reimbursed.

personally, i literally chatted with amex 2 days ago and the rep said it would be fine. i was careful to refer to the charge as being in relation to seat selection and didn't make any mention to comfort+, though, especially since the charge on my billing statement says upgrade. i haven't seen the reimbursement come in yet, though.

and it was a bit of a pain in the ... as well since the first rep i chatted with couldn't even see that 1) i was enrolled in the travel reimbursement or 2) that i selected delta, until i specifically told him and he had to check again.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:51 pm

thx, yeah i'm not going to take a chance unless its really confirmed. yeah Amex cust service has gone way downhill...
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:51 am

Hi all! new here, to clarify for the GC + rest under addtl collections less than $250, could these one-way tickets have layovers by any chance? I'm a little confused I haven't read any datapoints of people specifying their one-ways had layovers.

Round-trip is definitely a no-go right?

Appreciate any help!

Last edited by lapras; Sep 9, 2019 at 5:53 am Reason: more clarity
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have about $99.48 left in my amex airline allotment. I just booked an award flight today with $181.00 of fees/taxes. I'm hoping the $99.48 is credited in the next few days.
Credited today. Now it all starts over in January
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:33 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by lapras
Hi all! new here, to clarify for the GC + rest under addtl collections less than $250, could these one-way tickets have layovers by any chance? I'm a little confused I haven't read any datapoints of people specifying their one-ways had layovers.

Round-trip is definitely a no-go right?

Appreciate any help!
I don't think it matters whether the ticket is round trip, one way, or multi city.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Please clarify: didn't you have to pay the entire $392 at the time of purchase? Then $150 + $142 would leave you $100 short.
Sorry, there was a typo. The ticket was $292, not $392. Edited.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:26 pm

Anyone know if it would work to use gift cards and then Amex Plat/Gold/Aspire to buy a refundable flight and get the credit, and then turn around and cancel the flight to get cash instead?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by benthom11
Anyone know if it would work to use gift cards and then Amex Plat/Gold/Aspire to buy a refundable flight and get the credit, and then turn around and cancel the flight to get cash instead?
No, cash refunds will not be an option if the original payments were CC and GC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.