Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Considering the Amex Premier Rewards Gold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:13 am

After browsing the various threads, I think this is probably the best place for my question since it is, ultimately, about whether I should bother with the Amex PRG.

Here's my situation: When I started my new job they handed me an Amex Business Platinum Card and told me that all of my expenses must be paid with this card. For accounting reasons I'm not allowed to use my own cards and get reimbursed, which sucks because I get zero points on any work related purchases. They did say, however, that they thought there was a way to link a personal Amex to the Business card, but none of the coworkers that I've ask actually does this. So my question is whether anyone else has every tried to link business and personal accounts like this, and if so do the business purchases go towards personal rewards on the same terms as if you had made them on your personal card? For example, when I book flights on my business card (which is probably the bulk of my expenses) will I get the 3x points that I would get if I bought them on the PRG? Or will I get whatever rewards, if any, that my company is currently getting?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by eclare
... Amex Business Platinum Card .when I book flights on my business card (which is probably the bulk of my expenses) will I get the 3x points that I would get if I bought them on the PRG? Or will I get whatever rewards, if any, that my company is currently getting?
If you have a "Business" card rather than a "Corporate" card all rewards are normally credited to the primary cardholder, typically the owner of the business. I believe the owner could arrange to have the points earned by your card credited to a separate rewards account for you, but this would not happen automatically by linking to a personal account.

In any event, the rewards will be based on the card used to make the payment. Linking to another card does change earning.

If you actually have a Corporate card, the situation is different.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:37 am

Thanks for info. The card says Business on the front of it. I'll check with work to see if they'd be willing to have the points earned with that card credit to my personal account, but I'm not optimistic.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:00 pm

Quick bump on this. I see an offer for the PRG Card for 75,000 points after $ 5,000 spend within 3 months. I already have the Platinum card but I am thinking of going for this one as well because of
the 2x at gas stations and supermarkets. The flights will go on the Platinum because of the 5x.
What is the opinion out there now? the Platinum came with only 40,000 points when $ 3,000 were
spent. I am giving up my Chase Presidential which included UA Club access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.