Considering the Amex Premier Rewards Gold

Old Jan 11, 16, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Southwest Airlines
Considering the Amex Premier Rewards Gold

My current card for everyday use is the United MileagePlus Club Card by Chase. My wife and I put virtually all possible expenses on this card to rack up miles.

I've done a little reading on the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card and it seems to be a pretty good card.

Our General Spend:

As noted above, virtually all spend goes on the card. We do quite a bit of personal travel and when booking tickets, I always book directly with the airline. In addition, we do eat out every weekend (usually 2 nights a week).

It looks like there are nice bonuses using the card in these category.

The downside I see if the lack of lounge access, though being based in DFW, I can now enter the Admirals Club on my wife's AA Executive Card.

As I do on my United card, I would make my wife an Authorized/Joint Cardholder so that we can put all spend on the card.

Based on the parameters provided, does this sound like a card that would match our needs?

Thanks,
Old Jan 11, 16, 1:49 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by cslovacek View Post
Based on the parameters provided, does this sound like a card that would match our needs?
How would you redeem the points?
Old Jan 11, 16, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

MIA,

I'd redeem my points for Plane Tickets -- either by transferring to a program or paying for them with the points (if that is possible).
Old Jan 11, 16, 2:00 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
...transferring to a program or paying for them with the points (if that is possible).
The points are worth $0.01 if you use Pay with Points.

You can do better by transferring. See the Wikipost at the top of this thread for a link to the USA transfer partners -and- a list of the programs which are not 1:1.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-program.html
Old Jan 11, 16, 2:11 pm

Are you trying to lower what you spend in annual fees? Sure, get the Amex if you don't use the lounge access much. The annual fee for the Amex is $95 after the $100 airline credit. You can use points you accumulate for travel using Amextravel or transfer it.
Old Jan 11, 16, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

PaidFlights,

Good question. My goal isn't to lower the annual fee. Heck, I'd probably pay up to $1,000/year for an annual fee is the benefits were worth it.

I always here everyone tell me how great the customer service, purchase insurance, etc are with Amex.

With the United Club Card, I get a flat 1.5 miles/dollar on all purchases (2 miles/dollar on United.com). Given that we eat out so much, get gas and book tickets directly on an airline's website, I'm wondering if using this card would net us more miles/points.

Unfortunately, I do not have a breakdown of what we spend on each category, but I'd say we charge somewhere around $30K a year on the card.

Additionally, I would just like feedback and your thoughts on the overall benefit of this card. I respect people's opinions on here, many of you have more experience with the Amex products than I do.

Sincerely,
Old Jan 11, 16, 7:32 pm

You definitely need to consider if you can redeem with the MR airline transfer partners and transfer rates. It's not just experience that matters with any card but how well the card and its rewards program suits you.
Old Jan 11, 16, 8:33 pm

I think the PRG is a great card for you if you dine out and buy a good amount of plane tickets.

I travel for work once or twice a month to asia from the US and usually buy biz-class tickets. my MR points count has gone up exponentially since switching to this card for buying airfare. (3x on $4000 on average tickets makes for a pretty healthy addition of points on airfare alone).

2x for gas 2x restaurants and 2x for groceries isn't bad either. only bummer about the card is that the gas, groceries and restaurant spend bonuses are valid only in the US. If it was a card that got me bonuses on dining outside the US like the Chase Sapphire or Citi Premier/prestige Id be even more impressed.
Old Jan 11, 16, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond
While you are shopping, also look at AMEX Everyday Preferred and Citi Premier. They are both really good everyday spending cards. I don't use my Amex Premier Rewards Gold as much anymore.
Old Jan 11, 16, 9:50 pm

if you're happy with united, earning 1.5x on everything is pretty good, even without category bonuses. what about a chase sapphire preferred instead of Amex? that way you earn 2x on travel and dining, and those points can merge with your United balance. plus primary car insurance and also the option to transfer points to Hyatt, which you get platinum status with via the club card.

i know this is the amex forum and i'm on about chase... in general, i like the PRG and use mine a lot. in this instance, though, it seems like it might be better to concentrate points around united by leveraging chase's products.
Old Jan 11, 16, 11:05 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Spire Amb; Hilton Diamond
If you're a United flyer (sounds like it, if you have the Club card), you might be better off with the Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) card. It earns 2 UR points on all travel + dining (including bars) spend. UR points transfer 1:1 to United, so you can use it to book flights on your favorite airline. You can't do that with MR points. Pay with points is also better value than usual, at 1.25c per point.

The Amex Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) earns 3x on airfare, but only airfare, not all travel spend (hotels, trains, taxis, Ubers) like the CSP. The PRG also only earns 2x on restaurants, but only in the US.

(I have both the PRG and CSP)
Old Jan 12, 16, 6:55 am
Original Poster

I appreciate all the responses. I am going to do some research today on the CSP. I opened it a couple of years back to take advantage of a sign up bonus, then closed it right after that, so I didn't fully learn all the great benefits of the card.

Based on what most of you have stated, it may be a wise card for me to use on an every day basis.

I'll research away starting later today.

Thank you,
Old Jan 12, 16, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I appreciate all the responses. I am going to do some research today on the CSP. I opened it a couple of years back to take advantage of a sign up bonus, then closed it right after that, so I didn't fully learn all the great benefits of the card.

Based on what most of you have stated, it may be a wise card for me to use on an every day basis.

I'll research away starting later today.

Thank you,
If you're doing that, look at adding the Chase Freedom as well, provided you can meet Chase's current approval standards on numbers of new cards. It's effectively equivalent to adding quarterly 5X categories to your CSP.
Old Jan 12, 16, 9:38 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
This is currently my favorite card in my wallet
- the $100 reimbursement (creatively) - makes this card AF net $95 to me
- I easily save the $95 from Amex sync deals on this card - last year alone saved over $500 on things I would have spent money on anyway.
- the 3x airline points help me rack up the points plus the other bonus CATs
Old Jan 12, 16, 7:45 pm

My current card for everyday use is the United MileagePlus Club Card by Chase. My wife and I put virtually all possible expenses on this card to rack up miles.

I've done a little reading on the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card and it seems to be a pretty good card.

Our General Spend:

As noted above, virtually all spend goes on the card. We do quite a bit of personal travel and when booking tickets, I always book directly with the airline. In addition, we do eat out every weekend (usually 2 nights a week).

It looks like there are nice bonuses using the card in these category.

The downside I see if the lack of lounge access, though being based in DFW, I can now enter the Admirals Club on my wife's AA Executive Card.

As I do on my United card, I would make my wife an Authorized/Joint Cardholder so that we can put all spend on the card.

Thanks,
Why don't you just get Citi Prestige? It basically costs $100-200 and gives you the following:

1) amazing bonuses on categories you are looking for
(a) 3x on air travel and hotel
(b) 2x on on dining and entertainment

2) AA lounge axx if you fly AA

3) 3 points turn into 3*1.60 = 4.8 cents towards AA tickets. In other words, you're almost getting 5% cashback.

4) If you've Citi Forward, your category bonuses get supercharged into 8% towards AA.

5) You get Priority Pass SELECT with which you get 2 guest access.

7) better signup bonus w/o dealing with inc. mode and stuff

8) 4th night at hotel is free

9) you can actually use your airline credit towards ticket

10) golf, concierge, and whole bunch of other ....

how does it cost $100?
a) apply at bank and get $350 offer (don't need citi gold) - YMMV
b) do refund trick to get $250 airline credited back without hording cash in giftcard

Search this Thread